World Rally RX Looking For All Electric Move in 2020?

While i agree that there are technical reasons you might want to use electric motors etc, it is just not the same thing, hybrids maybe. For me motorsport should be about drivers who know about their car / engine / systems as if it were their own, not about putting a gel haired lightweight celeb into a rolling advertisement shell likeness of a production car. I remember the days when drivers didn't even have radio, never mind constant guidance over it to squeeze the last thousandth, they drove on instinct, intuition and the seat of their pants to get their points and in the case of RX, "this one goes to no.11" :devilish:

RIP WRX :sleep:

sarcasm on:

Live from the mental health clinic....sorry, i mean fia hq...
"boss there is another series becoming sucessfull und popular to race fans- we have to react!"

"What???? Popular?"

"Yes, WRX - people like this fire spitting, noisy, monster cars!"

"Have to use my green power to frustrate people - make it full electric! People aren`t supposed to have fun by watching races!"

"Yes, boss"

"Guess why we killed Group C, LMP-1 and why we gonna kill Formula 1! All have to watch rubbish slot races boring them to death... I`m the killer of race sports!!! muahahahahahahaha "

Time to get rid of FIA...

I thought this thread was about the World Rally championship moving to electric cars - which immediately made me think Paul had lost track of the date and posted his April Fool's joke a wee bit early :roflmao:

But yeah, while it's less insane to have electric Rallycross, it still makes me wince even thinking about it. But if it's really happening we'll get to judge the results and make up our minds then. (For me, FE is unwatchable, but not just because of the noise.)

This is not new news at all. It was talked about last year. There are some factors that you have to think about in this. First of all get over yourselves. It's the manufacturers that want this. whether you like it or not, cars and bikes are moving to electric in the real world. To sell cars you race them its been that way for over 50 years now. The big companies want to showcase their tech just like they have in motorsport for years. You might want to remember that the regs around the world are changing and cars, as we know them, are done for. Europe alone if it had it its way wants all not electric vehicles off of the road by 2025. VAG has said they are spending more on electric cars now the internal combustion engines. Ok, so we lose the sound and yeah that sucks big time. But we also gain the fact that we will still have motorsport to watch. It also means more privet teams can enter in all aspects of motorsport because the costs come down a lot. We are also meant to be getting an electric car at Le Mans this year made by the guy that made the delat wing. I for one can't wait to see it. You saying well it's all dead and I will never watch it is just asinine. Times change. You can either sit there and moan about it and nothing will change or embrace it. The choice is yours but I know what I will be doing.

This is not new news at all. It was talked about last year. There are some factors that you have to think about in this. First of all get over yourselves. It's the manufacturers that want this. whether you like it or not, cars and bikes are moving to electric in the real world. To sell cars you race them its been that way for over 50 years now. The big companies want to showcase their tech just like they have in motorsport for years. You might want to remember that the regs around the world are changing and cars, as we know them, are done for. Europe alone if it had it its way wants all not electric vehicles off of the road by 2025. VAG has said they are spending more on electric cars now the internal combustion engines. Ok, so we lose the sound and yeah that sucks big time. But we also gain the fact that we will still have motorsport to watch. It also means more privet teams can enter in all aspects of motorsport because the costs come down a lot. We are also meant to be getting an electric car at Le Mans this year made by the guy that made the delat wing. I for one can't wait to see it. You saying well it's all dead and I will never watch it is just asinine. Times change. You can either sit there and moan about it and nothing will change or embrace it. The choice is yours but I know what I will be doing.

Exactly!! I couldn't agree more.

When Rally x first came out I wasnt really interested in it. Than I saw a live event and feel in love with it.
The atmosphere is great, on track action is amazing as well as the off track entertainment going on.
It takes the best aspect of all motorsports and crames it into short races...one after another...absolutely perfect for those with adhd :)
From a audio perspective.......the change SUCKS!
As an offroader and electric karter, the switch to electric from a driving experience view makes perfect sense.
Nothing beats the instant torque giddy up from an electric engine.
I feel the added torque of the electric engine would be beneficial for this type of motorsport.
It would help with acceleration, through mud, jumps and corner exit.
Personally I think an electric rally car would be a blast to drive. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the sound of a growling engine but sadly with all the environmental issues motorsports gets a pretty bad wrap and is quickly dying off.
So if electric engines is the solution to keep motorsport racing alive I guess ill have to adapt and accept it or watch the sport die.

Plus I am sure one of the community modders can come up with a solution for the missing sounds lol

I find this persistent movement to 'Electric Motorsport' just another bad PR exercise, certainly there is a need for 'Green' vehicles, but I think this is a case of picking a soft target.
Given the atmospheric pollution generated by the use of Fossil fuels, why are there no serious moves against the big polluters, and not just Coal and Oil fired power generation, just consider the amount of Hydrocarbon rubbish the Airline industry dumps into the air every hour of every day for example.
WRX is a tiny soft target, Formula E seems to be less than successful to the public at large, while the
Electric 'TT' bikes perform at a surprising level they didn't stir the blood, having witnessed them in person myself.
Rallycross will be nothing without the noise, 1000ft/ibs of torque from stall is a lot of grunt, but silence will not be 'Golden'.
:sleep:
'Electric Motorsport'? That is an Oxymoron if ever I saw one.

Last edited:
Motorheads are the core audience for racing. The rest are there to see crashes (hence NASCAR popularity).

Electric cars are fine for the environmentalist in you but I don't see myself buying one because they can buzz or whine around a little track....bleah!

I personally don't mind electric racecars as long as they don't replace "normal" ones.
If they would just add a all electric class I would actually like it because its something different and I think it would be quite great to watch as instant torque and rallycross just screams FUN.
But I have to disagree with electric motorsport when it tries to take over MOTORsport.

A big part of a racecar for me is the sound and smell, if those components are missing I just don't feel at home if you know what I mean.

As a dear friend of mine said:
"This is the end, beautiful friend (petrol engine)
This is the end, my only friend, THE END" :cry::cry::cry::cry:
(this and ... PIT KIDS :poop:)
In the next decades, the earth will be a VERY BORING PLACE to live :cry: but everything will be safe and politically correct :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
Edit:
Sorry for this quantity of :poop: but ... it is :poop: situation :mad:

Last edited:
First of all, they need 15 cars before they will start with the "EVRX". So if the manufacturers spend too long time making the cars, or too few are interested, it will not start in 2020 from what I can understand.

Secondly, WRX need to do something, and quite quick. The costs are getting out of control and they either need to get the costs seriously down, or get an influx of new manufacturers. Going electric might be the way to get more manufacturers in. It's virtually impossible to compete as a privateer in WRX now, which is why you see many guys stepping down to ERX and national/regional championships (This is great for RallyX Nordic though!). The whole situation is quite similar to the last half of the 90's and beginning of 00's.

The "Rallycross Specials" that were introduced after Group B in 1993 worked quite well in the start. There was quite a few different cars on the grid, and the grids were quite healthy. However, as the years went by, the costs got higher, the grids smaller and interest gradually fell. At the same time however, the Norwegian-Swedish Championship was formed. You got all the top drivers from the European Championship (with the exception of Jean-Luc Pailler) driving there, and even got drivers who retired from ERX to just do the Norwegian-Swedish Championship. That one got shut down in the end, apparently in a ban on "multi-national championships" as it was getting very popular with all rounds being shown in TV in both countries as well.
However, the ban didn't force the drivers back to the European Championship, but instead they decided to retire. When you look back at it, the 2002 season had 6 full time entries, and quite a few races with a lack of wildcard entries as well, some races only had 12 entries, other that had more, seemingly allowed whatever car to drive in "supercars" to boost the grid.

Anyway, we are creeping towards the same situation now. The budgets are rocketing, you need manufacturer support to do something, and the bubble is about to burst.

In regards to EV's in RX, that might be the racing series EV's fits best in to. Lots of torque, instant power, short races etc. The cars of today are not much faster (if any faster) than the ones of early 90's.
It's slightly hard (if not impossible) to outright compare them, as the circuit records back in the day was not a single lap, but rather the fastest ever time over 4 laps - a qualifying heat. And the comparison is impossible to make after the Joker-lap was introduced. However, while Martin Schanche set the first non Group B record at Valkenswaard in 1994. Afaik, his record at Lyngås in Norway, never was beaten. So when the track closed down some years ago, the offical record was still from a Gr.B car.
Who knows, an EV might actually be faster than the old Gr.B cars :)

Ideally I would like manufacturer support to be banned (if that would be a thing to enforce), and rather market RX as the last, true racing series for the passionate privateer. RX thrived on the many ingenious solutions thought up by garageristas around Europe. It would have to be slightly overregulated in terms of budgets and so on, but I think that would an awesome thing. However, I do see how unrealistic that is, but a man can dream!

Anyway, EV's are the way the world is going, and the kids that are born now, might be more used to silent cars, and lower noise levels than we are, and thus they might not care that much (if all) about silent racing.

Personally I would like EV's to take a hike and have the combustion engine do a massive comeback in popularity. I have a couple of old cars I've invested in, that will be rather worthless in a few years the way this is all heading. So much for that investment!

TL;DR: It can work with WRX, they need to do something radical to save the championship!

I just see closed-minded people.
I can't see a reason to hate silence that BTW it will be noisy as hell as well (tires, brakes and the electric motor)
To have motorsport being electric it will improve the technology and thank's to that make better EV cars for our roads.

Sorry to say but this has to be the way, until we where able to go to TRAPPIST-1 at 40 light years away and find another Earth to pollute and destroy like that one, until then we should take care about our planet. or not, why care for our children and next generations if we can enjoy a super noisy exhaust from a super polluting ICE??... ... ...

:unsure:

To sell cars you race them its been that way for over 50 years now.
Is that right? No wonder my commute to work is busy with all those Formula one cars in the traffic queue. Sometimes I see LMP race cars in the queue too with the odd IndyCar weaving in and out of the traffic.
Exactly 30 years ago my dad purchased a 4th hand Hilman Avenger estate. He only purchased that after seeing one win the F1 race on telly...........................not. I have never purchased a car (and I have owned many many cars) just because I have seen that make or model in racing.

another Earth to pollute and destroy like that one
Agree with that, the Earth is doomed. And no electric car can save it. Unfortunately :cry:
And the battery is soooooo toxic for environment. Just imagine millions of cars changing battery pack every couple of years :confused:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back