Tracks WIP - Santa Monica Mountains

Ok, it's up! Let me know if you run into any issues getting it up and running. It's the full quality version as originally intended, so I hope the MEGA download works out. :roflmao:
You can contact RD admins, they can upload a bigger archive on demands ;)

I drove it in Mist (PureEye .053) in a Caterham mod at sunrise. Looking good. The road is really nice with my NLR v3 seat mover and shaker setup. Looking forwards to seeing the scenery develop. Being in an open car makes more glitches visible of course but it also allows more open view of the more distant scenery which already looks really nice. I can only marvel at the amount of work you are willing to put into this. Thank you from New Zealand.

Last edited:
This is an experiment. Over the past year or so I've been testing various methods of using photogrammetry to generate roads. My goal is to develop a process suitable for recreating any road, of any distance, with as minimal effort possible. I'm definitely still a looong way off from that, but I am making clear progress. Now that I've landed on a technique that I feel is repeatable enough to begin refining upon, I'm tackling a large scale project to further streamline as I go. The primary test subject for this is something very dear to my heart, which is the network of canyon roads in the Santa Monica Mountains up above Malibu, CA.

I have about 15 miles built and in game already, with about 40 being the ultimate goal. I will release this as a WIP beta once I reach some short term milestones that I'm working on now.

View attachment 469782

View attachment 469784

Here's a short video of just one leg, Las Flores Canyon Rd in it's current state.

For the photogrammetry, my method is to mount a GoPro MAX on the end of an 8' pole that I stick through my car's sunroof. The camera shoots 360 degree spherical latlong video with GPS coordinates on each frame as I drive along at about 30 mph. To avoid sun shadows, I have to shoot either at dawn or dusk when the sun is behind the mountains, or wait for the ultra rare overcast Sunday. Here's a full res frame from the video.

A lot of pre-processing is necessary to conform the imagery and GPS data into a format suitable for photogrammety, but once that's done Agisoft Metashape does a pretty great job of generating accurate meshes. After another lengthy process of cleaning up the scan geo, optimizing the meshes and UVs, baking down textures, and smoothing the road surface it can then finally be brought into AC. I'm going a step further though and removing the painted road lines from the textures and laying down my own for better quality. I'm also generating some masks to use in the AC shader for specularity and breakup maps.

View attachment 469783

Above is a general map of the canyon roads I'm currently working on for an initial release. The green ones have already been generated and are already in-game in some capacity. The yellow ones have been recorded and are currently running through the photogrammetry process. Red ones are some additional connecting canyons I think would be great to add, but have not yet recorded the 360 footage for them and probably won't until after I finish what I have and release it to you.

Las Flores, Stunt, Piuma, and Tuna will make up the core legs of the map. After that the next step will be to create connecting roads between the tips of each of the leg, but for that I'm going to be deviating from reality a little. For example, the northern connecting road will still be Mulholland Hwy, but I'll use the more fun section further to the west and transpose it to connect the bottom of Stunt and Piuma. For the southern connecting route that would be a fairly boring section of Pacific Coast Highway, I'll instead be stealing a more interesting section of the road from much further north up the coast. I also really want to include a short stretch of Old Topanga Canyon Road, as it's another one of my local favorites. By the way, if you aren't familiar with the area, the very center of the map at the intersection of Schueren/Stunt/Saddle Peak is the highest point at 2300 feet, with the outer tip of each leg being closer to sea level or just above.

So what's my ultimate plan? Not really sure haha. At this point the #1 thing I'm looking forward to is getting to drive Tuna Canyon uphill lol! (It's a one-way downill street in real life) But here's my to-do list for the immediate time being:

01) Finish processing Saddle Peak and Tuna Canyon to complete the 4 core legs (the 4 core legs being Tuna, Stunt, Las Flores, and Piuma)
02) Get all road surfaces up to the same level (or better) as seen in the video above.
03) Place basic props such as guard rails, signs, and light poles.
04) Spawn some very basic foliage to mask some of the edges of the photogrammetry geo
05) Release as beta.
06) Create connecting roads, and refine.
07) Optimize (if this is even possible. the file sizes are already gigantic)

Anyway, like I said in the beginning, I want to stress that this really just an experiment. I will definitely be releasing this once I'm happy enough with the 4 core legs I'm working on now, but expect it to live as a beta release for quite some time until I can properly clean all the photogrammetry and optimize everything. I'll definitely do a pass of smoothing out a lot of the biggest offenders, but my plan/hope is to hide most of the nasty stuff with trees, bushes, and really large GrassFX :)

My normal inclination would be to just wait for an actual release to make a post, but I'm keen on getting the opinions, feedback, and tips from anyone interested in a project like this. Let me know what you think!

-Todd

P.S. If you followed and enjoyed my previous AC track release, Topanga Canyon, just a heads up that I am on the verge of releasing another very similar track, Mulholland Drive. Keep an eye out in the coming week or two! (it's not utilizing this photogrammetry technique)
awesome

hi @Todd K , that’s awesome! I wanted to try photogrammetry using a drone, but reading what you said it seems that with a 360 camera could be simpler.

So, if I want to start, what do you think if I attach the camera on the roof of a car? O maybe I should put it with a stick to go to the front of the car? But then how does it take pictures of the back… do you drive the same road backward as well?

Once you’ve recorded the video, how do you extract the frames from the video creating the jpg files? Are flat images of 360 view (distorted..) or many jpegs for a single 360 frame?

Thanks a lot

I go for drives to these roads a lot, and I am very happy that you are creating an accurate copy of them for AC, that is awesome! Let me know if you need any help. Also, I don't know if you were planning for it, but there's another exceptional stretch, my favorite one, that would be cool if you added or released as a separate project.
castro.png

Last edited:
Hello to all, I just want to apologize for the lack of any update this past year, and assure you that this project is NOT dead and a huge update IS coming soon! I've been working on a big cleanup pass on the photogrammetry of all roads currently implemented, including Saddle Peak and Tuna Canyon, and have also placed props/foliage to the entire map. So the next update will not include any brand new stretches of road, but adding new connecting roads will then be my next focus. Thank you for your patience, and I PROMISE there will be updates before Spring time arrives!

This is outstanding news! Thanks very much for continuing to move this forward. My friends and I do an annual "New Year Drive" on Stunt, Mulholland, etc, (real roads) but the rain has prevented us from getting out there so far this year. Your tracks have help to satisfy my itch until things finally dry out a bit. Thanks again!
Awesome! Hit me up if you guys go try again sometime soon, if you like :) LOVE that lineup of cars. Which one is you? I live in Santa Monica and have a '71 BMW 2002 which I take out there almost every Sunday morning when conditions are decent.
I did venture out past Friday morning when we had that small window, but after seeing how silty Old Topanga Canyon still was, I ended up skipping most of the upper twisties and just did Mulholland, Kanan, and Encinal back town to PCH.

Awesome! Hit me up if you guys go try again sometime soon, if you like :) LOVE that lineup of cars. Which one is you? I live in Santa Monica and have a '71 BMW 2002 which I take out there almost every Sunday morning when conditions are decent.
I did venture out past Friday morning when we had that small window, but after seeing how silty Old Topanga Canyon still was, I ended up skipping most of the upper twisties and just did Mulholland, Kanan, and Encinal back town to PCH.
Hey Todd, we'd love to have you - your 2002 would fit right in! In fact, anyone that sees this is more than welcome to join us for some real-world free roam fun! :) (info below)

Looking at the weather, I think we're going to try next Saturday (January 21). However, as you observed, I'm not sure the smaller roads will be clear by then, but since this is our January 1 drive, it's time to check it off the list! :)

I'm happy to DM you more info, but basically we'll meet at the Commons Shopping Center in Calabasas (4799 Commons Way, Calabasas, CA 91302) at about 9am (some folks come from San Diego so we try not to meet at the absolute crack of dawn.) We usually stand around there waiting for folks to arrive and chatting before we head out for some driving. We usually stop a few times along the way to regroup and chat about how much fun we're having. Finally, we usually wrap up the day with lunch at the Reel Inn in Malibu. Please feel free to participate in some of it or all of it, but I'd love to shake the hand that created the Topanga Hill Climb, Santa Monica Mountains, Mulholland Drive, etc!

Oh and finally... I'm the blue 510 hiding in the back, but I have also had a '73 BMW 2002 (Inka) - I guess I have a thing for boxy sedans.

OK, sorry to have thread jacked your update, but I'm really excited about the coming updates and hopefully meeting you in person on Saturday.

Warm regards,
Robert

Hello to all, I just want to apologize for the lack of any update this past year, and assure you that this project is NOT dead and a huge update IS coming soon! I've been working on a big cleanup pass on the photogrammetry of all roads currently implemented, including Saddle Peak and Tuna Canyon, and have also placed props/foliage to the entire map. So the next update will not include any brand new stretches of road, but adding new connecting roads will then be my next focus. Thank you for your patience, and I PROMISE there will be updates before Spring time arrives!
This is great news! Thank you so much for your work :)

LETS GOOOOOO!!!!! I'M SO HYPED

YESSSSS!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS! These roads are my favorite driving roads on the planet, and it's incredible to get to experience them again via AC, as I moved away from the west coast years ago. Will there be more optimization in the near future, though? It's really fps intensive atm, and unfortunately really difficult to run in VR.

YESSSSS!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS! These roads are my favorite driving roads on the planet, and it's incredible to get to experience them again via AC, as I moved away from the west coast years ago. Will there be more optimization in the near future, though? It's really fps intensive atm, and unfortunately really difficult to run in VR.
What graphics card, and CPU are you running? And what kind of fps are you getting?

What graphics card, and CPU are you running? And what kind of fps are you getting?
A RTX 2070 Super and a 3.70GHz i5-9600K cpu. I don't have an exact framefrate, as I haven't figured out how to get a framerate counter in VR, but it's probably in the low 20's as the image judders and tears a lot. Are you involved with making the mod?

I haven't tried the update version, but in VR I also get terrible FPS on my end. I regularly run 30-40 car mixed grids with AI at most circuits I enjoy racing on without any issues, so it's definitely not a hardware thing.

It's lookin' great, though! :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back