Tracks WIP Kyalami 2016

Hello All,

I have been working on Kyalami GP 2016 and have it in game HOWEVER I am the worst 3d modeler in the world and seems as the track and associated buildings have been pulled down all I have is a track and some barriers.

I am in real need of some 3d modeling help PLEASE as I would love to get this track out I am sure I am not the only one.

Regards

Griff

"Kyalami" is quite exciting. "2016" maybe not that much :D

I guess you have your objects "active - FALSE" in ksEditor, or they are somehow misplaced by models.ini ?

But the track is the hard part - trackside objects are easy. I just didn't understand how he could model a circuit but not objects, that's all.

But the track is the hard part - trackside objects are easy. I just didn't understand how he could model a circuit but not objects, that's all.
Well, it's rather simple. If he/she were like me, and didn't 3d model, RTB is a good tool to accomplish this track modelling stuff without modelling objects. I've got several tracks I made that have virtually no trackside objects. They are like this because I don't model, and because I don't really want to learn how to...though I'll probably attempt to put a "close enough" attempt at the pit building and other TSO's at Mont Tremblant (?).

Hello all and thanks for reply's I have indeed been using RTB and its a good starting point for a track elevation and so on, HOWEVER for the rest of the build its not great basic placment can be done but as the pits are all new build and other track side objects I am really struggling.

I am trying to learn 3dSmax but its way crazy complicated, I tried blender but that to I cant seem to wrap my head around.

Any help would be great as I dont want to release A rubbish track doomed to fail from the start

Imagine you want to paint a picture, say the Mona Lisa or The Last Supper. So, you would stretch the canvas, sketch it out roughly....

That's what RTB has given you. Yes, you can tell what it is, but it's not the real thing. People might be able to tell what it is (with a few hints) but it will ultimately be unsatisfying.

I'm afraid there is no getting away from the fact that you need to be able to model in 3D in order to make complete tracks. The most important feature (imo) of AC tracks (the physical mesh that gives the FFB feel) is unachievable without 3D modelling. Unless you can find someone else to model everything for you (bearing in mind a finished track can take several months) you will always end up with the bare bones of a project.

If I were you, I would start small, learn to model, learn to make textures, and work your way up to a finished project. See it as an investment. To start with Kyalami as your end goal is madness. I have been modelling (not tracks) for 15 years and my first track took me about 6 months to finish.

Sorry if that's not want you wanted to hear, but I feel track making without 3D modelling is impossible :unsure:

Alfie you are a wise man by the looks of this, and I know I have bit off more than I can chew (for the moment). However I do feel it is worth while and I will not give up just need to do more you tube and model and texture work!!!

Everything takes time and I can make this work and I will lets see how the winter months favor me! And yes it looks like a stretched bit of cloth under the track no appealing at all.

Can I please ask what 3d Model software everyone uses?

Alfie you are a wise man by the looks of this, and I know I have bit off more than I can chew (for the moment). However I do feel it is worth while and I will not give up just need to do more you tube and model and texture work!!!

Everything takes time and I can make this work and I will lets see how the winter months favor me! And yes it looks like a stretched bit of cloth under the track no appealing at all.

Can I please ask what 3d Model software everyone uses?
If you do actually learn how to model then you can more or less throw RTB in the trash. I had fairly high hopes for that software but all it has done is flood the community with half finished, un-optomized tracks that look like garbage and run like garbage. There is no free lunch when it comes to making tracks properly.

When it comes to software it is Blender or 3DS max. there are other options but those two are the ones you will get the most help with from either YT videos or other modders. I personally use Blender.

And I use 3ds max, since R3 in 1999 :confused: (Blender is for noobs :p)

Seriously, if you would like to get into modding for games/sims, a basic knowledge of 3D modelling is essential. Once you have learned a few basic skills you will be able to get a track in-game quite easily. Your ability will grow really quickly the more you practice and there are lots of people who are more than happy to help those that try and show willing.

I hope I haven't appeared too critical, but we do speak from experience. I dabbled with BTB in my RBR days, and yes, I could make a road quite quickly, but the control that you have in a fully fledged 3D program is far superior. The moment I tried to make a junction and realised I needed to cut polys and re-UV map areas was the moment I gave up with BTB. It's so easy in 3ds max to control camber, width, elevation change, add random bumps, textures, there was just no point in using BTB.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back