I have just made some testing of the FPS performance, as follows http://acstuff.ru/s/3xCY:
Code:
Mugello, mid clear, optimum, Pro+blankets, 23 opponents 99+-1% aggression 100% starting last, penalties + jump start to pits, temp 26C, wind 0km/h.
All skins available and used.

Many AC apps open as I normally use plus GPU app, plus MSI afterburner with rivatuner overlay, plus older ReShade. Fullscreen exclusive 1080p, custom graphics and all other settings as I normally use.

Values read out during start lights countdown from driver eyes view until cars start moving and smoke ensues from tyres hence the variance noted.

Car     FPS    GPU   CPU ST/MT
-------------------------------------
1700    53-1   33%   95%   62%
Clam.   52-1   31%   95%   64-1%
165     59-7   36%   95%   66%
SF70H   63-2   39%   94%   62%
311     63-1   37%   95%   64%
Cobra   74     42%   94%   60%
XbowR   67-5   35%   95%   60%
5cup    67-4   39%   95%   62%
-------------------------------------
1700 test mule, aka 1700 with supercharger in it's physics:
1700    53-2   33%   95%   64%   5cup LOD distances
1700    59-7   34%   95%   67-1% low LOD
1700    53-2   33%   95%   63%   power+throttle LUTs minimized to poor resolution
1700    54-2   33%   95%   64%   power+throttle+aero+tyre LUTs all only 2 values

Cannot test skin format as again I don't have DDS tools installed for Photoshop to be able to open and save them, somehow I always have to install DDS support almost every time I want to work with DDS as I only work with it rarely. Skins seems to be DXT1, Kunos seems to use DXT5 which as far as I remember might have higher compression and what I would normally use, though DXT overall is a lossy format, the advantage of it is that it can be straight copied and used by the GPU and doesn't need converting such as PNG and JPG textures do. I do not see the need for the number plate be this large, could be half the size but I doubt that's an issue anyway.

As you can see GPU usage is very low around 30-40% during the test and CPU single thread as reported by AC is around 95% no matter what car is used. The total CPU usage is around 60-65% for me on all cars again. FPS varies but I have not been able to find out why.

IMHO it may do with car paint differences, also clamshell has car paint reflections (didn't test that one, brb, added), small possibility would be textures, most likely it's the detail offered on Caterhams both external AND internal (dash, seats, everything in driver view), even Kunos cars can vary greatly.

If I had to guess I would say it has to do with car paint reflectivity and reflections in general as most likely Kunos is still computing those on CPU, at least that's how it was done in the past in graphics engines when it came to reflections and other similar lighting stuff as far as I remember. It's definitely being CPU bottlenecked in the AC render thread by something, reflections or drawcalls etc.

The hitbox should not be crazy, you can check that in CM. Collisions again are CPU processed as far I'm aware in every game.

I do not know or have tools right now to go debug AC graphics if it would even allow me, only to see how many polygons are being used by each car and total in the scene. Ben will have to compare and answer that if the Cats have similar poly count - complexity in geometry compared to other stock AC cars. To me it doesn't seem crazy poly count and LODs work well. Even with LODs put low so that quality is poor the gain in FPS is minimal. IMHO it is not a poly count issue.

Unfortunately AC doesn't offer much when it comes to dev apps to see where the game is bottlenecked beside the never ending CPU single thread bottleneck.

BTW the RD CODE block is not working as a proper CODE block it doesn't keep tabs correctly.

There is always variance in CPU MT usage so expect +-2% no problem, in the end for all cars the usage is about equal. ST usage is always 94.x - 95.x% on all cars. There is no fps limit, it should run as fast as it can but AC is poor at that.

4690K 4.5GHz + 1060 6GB 2.0/8.9GHz + 16GB 2.4GHz CL11 has been used, AC runs from SSD same as OS.

Test preset for CM used: http://acstuff.ru/s/3xCY

Last edited:
I think the big number of objects of the car is the "problem". The Academy has 246.000 tris and 392 objects, the LOD B has still 236 objects. A3DR wrote here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...orking-on-thread.126119/page-234#post-2711762
According to Kunos the more objects a car has, the lower the performance will be so part of the optimization is to have the less amount as possible. There's the reason why the COCKPIT_LR model is usually a single object with a single shader (unless there's a color change), and objects are mostly grouped by texture maps or shaders.
Most common is to have less than 200 objects for LOD_A + COCKPIT_HR, on LOD_B it should go down to about 25% of that and so on.

:redface::whistling:
that was predictable... i never really went for final final model, i keep most objects instances (like some rivets, screws etc.) where i should flat all that and merge into one mesh per material.

Noted though! The 420 should be more optimised, and the academy i'll do as well
1700 is painful to go back to... but eventually, i should do!

thanks for the info and link :)

@JackCY btw, DXT1 means without Alpha, DXT3 is with on/off alpha, and DXT5 is with fully blended alpha. hence DXT1 has the smallest file size and DXT5 the biggest. And you only needs DXT5 if you're needing alpha blend on the main skin, mainly if you use a detail texture (metal_detail.dds etc). So no sense in using DXT5 everywhere.

:confused: Exciting news :confused:
We finished the custom-R500 last night!
and it's available for you to risk your lives

No live axle anymore, full DWB
full sequential, and full power :geek:

and it's....
upload_2018-4-13_11-10-31.png

>> https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-roadster-500.20619/

r500_a-jpg.246410

:thumbsup:

Thanks so much Ben. The Roadster looks amazing. Downloaded and will try it out this weekend.

The 360R is possibly my favourite car in Automobilista... I am hoping one of the equivalent Caterhams from you will become my favourite car in AC. :D

hey anyone around here?
if any driver wanna try a new version of the r500 (30mo), see if it behaves properly, and if i didn't mess up anything before i release it.
data isn't compiled
aero is updated
i left a setup file in the folder, that seemed more driveable ^^

waiting for your feedback here :)

Only had time for a few laps, so just used stock settings.
Still a huge fun factor, tail happy. Looking very nice, detailed. It now has head lights but no tail lights (apart from the nicely attached brake light) :D

All in all very satisfying first impression.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Had some laps around Oulton park, default setup, nice once you get the hang of it, the brakes maybe a little underpowered.
Front lights don't work,brake light too and the rev counter dial doesn't light up. im using shader mod.
Gonna try with the provided setup now....

…30 litres later...
Tried the setups, dampers one feels the best for me the tail can slide a little with this one. Its a hoot to drive, if it was mine in real life though i'd definitely be looking for slightly better brakes, they're not bad, for sure they get the job done just not sharp enough for me.

Last edited:
Had some laps around Oulton park, default setup, nice once you get the hang of it, the brakes maybe a little underpowered.
Front lights don't work,brake light too and the rev counter dial doesn't light up. im using shader mod.
Tried Oulton at night, shaders patch (latest version):
Headlights, brake light and all instruments are lighted and working fine here...:rolleyes:

Good to know must be something my end, are you using today’s latest shader patch(edit: yesterday’s now preview 70 it was I see 73 is out now)?
I was also during the day.
For me only the needle and digital screen lit up.

Last edited:
Haven’t been on since but I’m guessing I still had the data.acd in the car folder so I was still on old settings!
Will be a good comparative of old and new this evening when I try the new one!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%