Tracks [WIP] Autobahn

Hah ha, great, It looks exactly as I expected :cool: . Let's say, that what we saw was some part of GUM BALL 3000 :D .
Looped road is even better than route from A to B, because after few laps AI will be perfectly spread around the track. We need more cars and trucks also :cautious: . And then someone with dual xeon CPU could test how it looks wit 100 AI cars :roflmao:
Haha I was also thinking about Gum Ball and making this some type of street race event, then the AI should fit perfectly. Could even make custom skins :D
I will check how far I can go with the AI. I hope the pits dont need to be in a line, then I can make the big type of parking lot with lots of space.

1jVwJ49.jpg

IHMvOja.jpg

e3xdUzi.jpg

First terrain prototype!
This is made in ZBrush, modelled and painted from scratch. Well, based on the spline-modelled terrain from the currently released version. Once I stitched the low poly (in game) terrain properly to the road I can import and export it between Max and ZBrush to refine everything. Very happy everything works so smoothly, soon the fun stuff can beginn :thumbsup:

First track for me to display a 99% CPU warning, with 11 AI, running really slow. On a track that simple I suspect the reason to be a too complex collision model. Is collision active for all the terrain surrounding the Autobahn? Do you use simplified collision boxes for the guardrails?

First track for me to display a 99% CPU warning, with 11 AI, running really slow. On a track that simple I suspect the reason to be a too complex collision model. Is collision active for all the terrain surrounding the Autobahn? Do you use simplified collision boxes for the guardrails?
Could you try that with different cars? Maybe one was stuck somewhere, that once gave me the CPU warning.
Only other idea would be that the 30km long and 30mb heavy AI line is maybe to much for your CPU. No other idea tho, the track should be pretty well optimized for now. There are extra WALL objects for the guard rails with way less polies, the road mesh is very simple and the terrain has no collision at all.
What CPU do you have?
You dont use modded cars right?

Definitely thanks for the report, still amazed how happily people here try out mods!

I can confirm the CPU warning too. Some comparisson, on SPA I can drive with 22 cars and have the same CPU usage as on Autobahn with cca. 10 - 11 cars
Load times: Spa 5 sec. and autobahn 22s

Maybe you can split road mesh in more pieces, lets say one object every 500m - 1000m.
Edit: my cpu core i3 2120 @3.5GHz

The load times are caused by the AI line IIRC. Try it without it and it will load very fast. Thats why my first assumption was that such big AI lines might cause issues? Maybe the fact that they go that fast the whole time?
One road lane is only about 10k polies IIRC. I will check it out when I can but I am properly confused right now.

Also when you use equal cars they will wobble around a lot, trying to overtake people. Maybe that tanks performance ...

You have right, without AI line it loads super fast :rolleyes:.
But another comparisson with nordschleife endurance 25km+ (fast_lane.ai - 16.9MB), your is 19.7MB...so it should be not problem 5km more length of AI line... I dont know what cause this performance difference.

EDIT: endurance is 21.4MB big, not 16.9

Last edited:
With such an open area you can afford to raise the AI line dm sample. Default is 15. Load the AI line up in the editor and try going as high as 100 and see if the AI still work right. The only time a high dm sample will be a real problem is on tight corners. A higher dm sample should lower the file size and lower the CPU load.

Thanks @LilSki ! I didnt know about that setting, lets see if it helps.
Here is a new kn5 file with the AI line dm sample set to 100 (the fast_lane.ai was not altered it seems): https://www.sendspace.com/file/xi0tp1
Seems to work ok in most places. Hope this fixes the CPU warning?

The models are very simple atm. In this picture the white wireframe is the WALL, red is ROAD and green is SAND (for now). The rest has no collisions, the pink mesh is temporary and will be replaced:

1Tqwr5m.jpg

Thanks @LilSki ! I didnt know about that setting, lets see if it helps.
Here is a new kn5 file with the AI line dm sample set to 100 (the fast_lane.ai was not altered it seems): https://www.sendspace.com/file/xi0tp1
Seems to work ok in most places. Hope this fixes the CPU warning?

The models are very simple atm. In this picture the white wireframe is the WALL, red is ROAD and green is SAND (for now). The rest has no collisions, the pink mesh is temporary and will be replaced:

1Tqwr5m.jpg
Overall that looks fine. Consider raising the wall height so you can't fly over it. Anything outside those walls should be visual only.

Also all objects should be broken up with the physical mesh. This includes walls and land as well.

Last edited:
Can you have the AI grid positions offset around the track so they start at decent intervals and off in the distance? It'd make it feel more 'correct' that way.

Also I noticed the 'wobble' due to the track size. Better to have the course snake up and down and around within 10km of the track origin perhaps?

Great work though, looks fun!

Dave

@Mr Whippy wait what is wobbling? I just meant with wobble that the AI doesnt manage to stick to the line that perfectly. Whats with the 10km within track origin? I know there is some limitation where the physics will get messy, but I hoped that this isnt happenening here? The track map looks like this and each lane is only 15km:

LzgZfmT.png
Vertically measured this is 12km, is that to much? Do the physics have issues already?

@Mr Whippy wait what is wobbling? I just meant with wobble that the AI doesnt manage to stick to the line that perfectly. Whats with the 10km within track origin? I know there is some limitation where the physics will get messy, but I hoped that this isnt happenening here? The track map looks like this and each lane is only 15km:

LzgZfmT.png
Vertically measured this is 12km, is that to much? Do the physics have issues already?
Think he means the messy physics wobble, it is notable on your track (especially on some Kunos cars' instrument clusters, the layers will z-fight rather early). Is your origin point (the 0,0,0 coordinates) in the middle of the track or at some other point? You should try having everything as close to it as possible.

Yeah sorry for not being clearer Peter.

AC content prefers to be near world coords 0,0,0

So the further you get from those coords, the messier things get.

So aim to have your course circle around or snake around the 0,0,0 coords as much as you can, and try not to stray too far from it.

Ie, if you currently have your track origin start at 0,0,0 and then travel away from it then that is not ideal. Better to have the half way point of the track over the 0,0,0 position for example.

Cheers

Dave

Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_Autobahn_24-11-116-19-18-18.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_Autobahn_24-11-116-19-18-32.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_Autobahn_24-11-116-19-20-59.jpg

A first tree test after having a couple of free hours.
The bark texture is just a placeholder and the model was rushed. With some improvements these will be the high LOD trees, about 150 triangles should be ok? The other LODs will be rendered from variations of these. I am thinking about just three LODs: This one, Y-shape tree and flat plane tree?

Can someone pls point me to a tutorial for LOD in AC editor? Couldnt find one yet.

Stop uploading this mod to other sites!
It is really frustrating to watch how people are earning money with the free work we modders do. Seing some ****ing leech coming up on top of the official download in google search makes me want to stop this project.
I wont upload any updates until this behaviour stops. The offenders are:
acmods.net
assettocorsa.club

Take down my mod or this is where this project ends ... for the public. I will still finish it for my personal use.

I am sure they will remove It from their webpages if you email them, or you just can ask them to change the Download link to the one you have and take It like free advertising (Someone already did that in assetto club and they changed it).
You dont have to take that measures :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back