1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 upgrade launcher not opening

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lars Brugman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I tried to install Windows 8 on my pc today. However everytime I try to open the installer, nothing happens. I have downloaded multiple times, but it still doesn;t work. Here are my pc specs:
    Windows xp 32 bit SP3
    Intel Core duo processor @2.93 GHZ
    ATI Radeon HD 5570
    Samsung 1 TB Harddisk
    2GB DDR2 RAM

Could anyone help with my strange problem?
  2. Craig Stevenson

Craig Stevenson
    Premium Member

Are you updating to 32 or 64bit?
  3. Well the launcher just says: Windows 8 upgrade installer. I was planning to update to 64-bit
  4. Craig Stevenson

Craig Stevenson
    Premium Member

Where did you buy\download from?, I bought direct from MS using the Upgrade Assistant, I then downloaded the 64bit ISO and burnt it to DVD and also made a bootable USB Stick, because I had back everything up (was using 64bit Win7 before) I did a full clean install from the DVD stick.

I think your problem is possibly that you have chosen the 64bit version and it's not possible to upgrade 32bit to 64bit.
  5. I downloaded from here. It just says Windows 8 installer. I have just downloaded the installer, not a specific one for 32 or 64 bit.
  6. I just tried on a 5 year old laptop, and that works just fine! Can open the installer and choose everything just fine. Very strange.
  7. Craig Stevenson

Craig Stevenson
    Premium Member

Sorry mate I can't think what to suggest in that case.
  8. Fixed by installing Windows 7 :D
    Thanks for the help Eyghon