Williams Sign George Russell for 2019 F1 Season

I can't tell you how relieved I am that I'm not the only one whose principal takeaway from the article was "what a very odd looking young man". Thank you RD, you've come through for me again! :roflmao:

I think there is going to be a competition between Russell and Ricciardo for biggest smile.

giphy.gif

I was thinking Esteban should go to Williams just to maintain his even keel. Though I'm not surprised at all, maybe Merc has a promise or whatever. I don't see Williams as a bad team, when Bottas and Massa were there, they were doing fine. Came in Stroll and Sirotkin and guess what? But without a veteran to guide him (Russell) I don't know what will be of him.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

Only one last thing to do for esteban ocon :
1539360433-handsomeimpressionableivorygull-size-restricted.gif

@++

From Formula1.com.................

The 2019 F1 grid as it stands
Mercedes – Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari – Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc
Red Bull - Max Verstappen and Pierre Gasly
Renault – Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Hulkenberg
Haas – Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen
McLaren – Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris
Force India – TBC
Toro Rosso – Daniil Kvyat and TBC
Sauber – Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi
Williams – George Russell and TBC

With only four seat remaining open, there are six 2018 drivers unconfirmed:
Stoffel Vandoorne, Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon, Brendon Hartley, Lance Stroll, Sergey Sirotkin. Some official announcements stated that Russell was taking Stroll's seat, so perhaps we can be more confident that he is moving to Racing Point. That leaves 5 drivers and 3 seats. And don't forget there are other drivers on the fringe who have been talked about lot, such as Robert Kubica, Nicholas Latifi, and Artem Markelov. A field which basically already has 3 rookies would be hard pressed to add another. So, who will pair Russell or Kvyat? Who will pair with Stroll who is likely going to RP? So far, only two teams retain the same 2018 line-up, being Mercedes and Haas.

To be honest I am not surprised about this, look at Bottas when he was signed and where he is now, give Russell a few years and it could wind up in a Merc seat for him....but that leaves the question, Sergey Sirotkin or Lance Stroll for his team mate (Editor me here just spotted a spelling mistake now corrected!)
True. When Bottas gets tired of being Hamilton's lackey, maybe this guy can take his place.

He may look like a 14 year old boy, but his racing credentials are spot on. Looking forward to see what he can do in a, arguably, shite chassis. And about f..... time Williams took someone with talent.

To be honest I am not surprised about this, look at Bottas when he was signed and where he is now, give Russell a few years and it could wind up in a Merc seat for him....but that leaves the question, Sergey Sirotkin or Lance Stroll for his team mate (Editor me here just spotted a spelling mistake now corrected!)

It won't be Stroll, he's going to Force India.

Really happy for him, he really deserves a place in F1. But at the same time.. It will be a big loss if Ocon won't get a place. :unsure:

Latest reports I've read say Ocon will be a reserve driver at Mercedes and is looking to be back in the grid in 2020.

Let's not forget Alonso took a year off after his season with Minardi and came back with Renault. It ended up working quite well for him.

However, I agree that it's a shame Ocon won't be on the grid next season. The problem is that there are only 10 teams. 13 or 14 teams would be great. (Remember 1989, when there were something like 40 cars entered at each race? I am old enough to have seen that. Prequalifying on Friday morning at 8:00 was rough!)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back