Williams Confirms Bottas and Stroll for 2017

My only issue is gp2, almost seems like what's the point of it, if you make it to gp2 you've pretty much missed your opportunity for f1. Wherlien came through dtm, Verstappen and Stroll f3, Ocon dtm/f3, only Stoffel went through gp2 (and we all know that sim racing is really what made it for him :roflmao:)

It's why future prospects choose not to compete in it. As I said above, GP2 creates a dead end for your career

• Deleted member 130869

GP2 was to become the premier feeder series. It looked to have a decent future until 2007. How many series were created, similar machinery, and the b.s. official FIA sponsored lower formulas that watered down other grids? Before you had F3/F3000 and that was about it. But the opportunity for organizers to raise money led to so many, and a couple already folded.

F1 has been all about the youth integration lately, nice to see. I feel bad Lance is getting all the hate for "buying" his way in to this seat, despite mopping up several championships out on the track where it actually counts. Anyway it'll be great to see a Canadian racing in F1 again! Excited to support him next season...

Just remember that his dad bought the F3 team (Prema), spent quite a lot there, plus there was some "no-fighting" and "no-passing" orders through the year to help Stroll apparently. Not saying he didn't deserve his win, but we haven't seen a driver have a dad buying and setting up a team for his son since Piquet jr.

Ok jokes, apart, call Nasr a crap driver is just wrong. Both him and Ericsson can drive, though they are driving a car which is lightyears behind even a damn Manor.

So, what you are saying is that Ocon and Wehrlein as massively crappy, as the Manor is "much much" better than the Sauber?

It's interesting that Williams is bringing him into the team as a full time driver just before the biggest rule change in F1 in ages... interesting to see whether he will be able to handle the beasts.

According to Pat Symonds, there haven't been a driver with this much actual F1 testing before his F1 debut since Jacques Villeneuve.

His dad have financed a massive test-program with the Williams FW36(2014 car), they use the first Merc hybrid-engine. Williams themselves have 20 guys constantly on that car, Merc have 5 tech-guys. He's financed an own private test facility and Pirelli are supplying "academy" Hard, Medium, Soft tyres specifically designed for testing with old cars.
He have/will do testing at Silverstone, Budapest, Red Bull Ring, Monza, Barcelona, Abu Dhabi, Austin, Shanghai and apparently Sochi.

Also, there have been talk about a whole new simulator that's been built, but for this season it have been F3 only, it's being reconfigurated to F1 and for the Williams FW40 at the moment.

Rumours have it that the total cost so far have been between 70-80 million USD (that is including the 35 mill USD that they are reportedly paying Williams for the 2017 drive)

It's going to be tough for Stroll. He has Valtteri along side so he could have his career over in one season.

Nope, there are way way to much money there, he can be worse than Maldonado, but will stay for more seasons, it's an absurd amount of money!

With that being said, I really like the Tommy Hilfiger and Michael Kors brands, so I'm not surprised that daddy Stroll have that amount of money.

Last edited:
So, what you are saying is that Ocon and Wehrlein as massively crappy, as the Manor is "much much" better than the Sauber?
No, as I dearly like Wehrlein and Ocon as drivers. But I meant Manor as the car with the worst of the up-to-date F1 cars of sorts.

Sauber sucks because both their chassis is a slight upgrade from the 15' chassis, the engine is close to what the Ferrari core engine had in the beginning of the year for the Factory, only one of the cars has a more upgraded version of the vehicle.

What they are doing with this year cars against other is extracting milk from the rock, I quite applaud them. But calling any of the Manor, Sauber and Renault cars (those who are underperforming of sorts) is just plain wrong.

No @Lorenzo Bonder , "me thinks" .... ;) ;)
the-avengers-angry-hulk-smash-loki.gif
:p:p

You can't buy everything. Even his dad can't buy him an F1 title if he doesn't have the talent to back it up.
True, but with unlimited money you always have access to practice, and with practice you get better. Especially if your loaded dad tells you you dont have to care about anything else but do what you love. :O_o:

Okay so his dad has a billion or 2. The long and the short of it is he has been winning and beat his 3 teammates with the same car and....and he got in with a team (Williams) and manufacturer (Mercedes) while in the junior formula. It seems that like other sports you need to get drafted into a big team, get the chance to drive an F1 car as a test driver then wait for your moment. Lance got a very timely break. Williams needed a revenue shot in the arm and Massa retired. Win-win ...at least I hope so. Good luck Williams. I hope all the success.

You can't buy everything. Even his dad can't buy him an F1 title if he doesn't have the talent to back it up.

talent is overrated. If anyone has read that book, they'd know some of the theories and studies that's gone in.

Money goes a long way in racing. The guy basically can do unlimited mileage with a 2 year old F1 car, you don't think that counts for something? Being able to race whatever he wants and possibly hire the best co-drivers in endurance events, don't think that counts for something?

Surprised no one brought up his Daytona story in 2016 either. You can find the timing and scoring of all cars in a csv.

His dad hir...pardon me, Ganassi had him "share" the car with Wurz, Hartley, Priaulx. Outside of yellow laps and laps that went over 3 minutes due to pitstops or whatever, the row (lap) count for the four are:

Wurz: 124
Priaulx: 141
Hartley: 180
Stroll: 188

Average laptimes from those conditions:
Wurz: 1:43.9
Priaulx: 1:45.5
Hartley: 1:45.8
Stroll: 1:45.5

Clearly, the kid isn't "bad". He's a different driver from the ticking time bomb of 2015

Phone rings:
"With Bernie"
- "Hai Burn...with Stroll"
"Aahhh...Struddelke....my best friend. How are you doing? Saw a picture recently...u become younger every month...amazing! What can i do for u my dearest friend?"
-"My sons birthday and ah..well...he wants F1. U know what happens when.."
"Allready done my Struddel. Lets meet soon say i get the plane right now? I assume businness still going ok?...See u in a couple of hours!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back