1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Why does the violin sound better recorded than in real life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mohameddo-san, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Mohameddo-san

Mohameddo-san
    F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

When I hear the violin in real life, most of the time, it is scratchy unless orchestrated.

On recorded audio, it doesn't sound scratchy at all and the notes sound more whole.

My tutor, who is a music guy, says, they do a lot of editing to make the violin sound better.

2. There's editing & filtering for one, even a microphone 'hears' sound differently to the human ear....
    Then there's the fact that you have your chin on the instrument which would add other details in sound by the way your jaw bone picks up the sound & transfers it to your cranium....
    Basically your not just hearing what enters your ear but also the reverberations of your head.
    As an experiment lift your head sometime & have a brief listen or even plece the same portion of your chin on a large speaker cabinet or a guitar- either electric or accoustic...
    In fact just the 2 types of guitar alone are quite interesting to do this with! ;)

3. I think much has to do with the skills of the violinist and the quality of the violin. A good violin is very expensive.

Here is my favorite piece by Veronika Skuplik which isn't enhanced in any way.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium Member

Mohammed Abidi Maybe that's why a Stradivarius cost £millions and great violin players are few and far between.
    Mike Sterckx Thanks for that clip, that was sublime!

Nice to a dulcimer in there too :)