Why 49 inch ultra wide and not 65 inch custom resolution (aspect ratio)

i did search the forum for an answer but i didnt find anything so i am sorry if its allready get answered.

i know the pros a monitor has against tvs (hz, delay)but i want to ask if there is a difference in FOV between a 49 inch ultra wide monitor and a 65 inch tv with custom resolution and same aspect ratio with the monitors one. i dont mind the black up and down to my tv i want to know if there is more view with the monitor.
(sorry my english are bad hope you can understand me...)

65 inch TV is 56.7 inches wide (144.0 cm) and 31.9 inches tall (81.0 cm)
49 inch ultrawide monitor is 47.36 inches wide (120.3 cm) and 14.54 inches tall (36.9 cm)

Absolutely no reason to use black borders on a 65 inch TV. If you want to match up the FOV width with a 49" ultrawide, just move back a bit. For example:

33 inch viewing distance of 49 inch ultrawide means horizontal FOV should be 71 degrees, which is the same as a 40 inch viewing distance using the 65 inch TV. The difference is you'll see twice as much, since the ultrawide's vertical FOV is only half of the TV.

Upvote 0
I'd be very keen to see some 4K TV viewers show custom resolutions in some sim titles.

21:9 3440x1440
32:9 3840x1080

You don't necessarily need a 21:9 monitor or 32:9 monitor when some 4K TV can do this (custom res) and also still go back to being a 4K 16:9 display.

While an expensive example, the new 2020 LG OLED would be awesome and with their new C10 (CX) range being the first Nvidia Certified model and available from 48" upwards.

Interested also to find out if those new models support 16:9 / 21:9 / 32:9 and with its 120Hz mode this would be awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so no reason to buy one if i dont care about hz and tvs delay. i use VR for all my sims but id like to try acc too. but its not good in vr yet. so id like to try it on screen.
I have a 65” Panasonic OLED and don’t game on it at all now I have the Samsung CRG90. The picture quality on the OLED is much better but I wouldn’t risk £4000 of TV getting burn-in from HDR gaming as the HUDs are way too bright for me to feel comfortable with.

Also 32:9 on the TV doesn’t look the same as the monitor, I think the curve really helps it wrap around for a start and it’s also 5120x1440 vs. 3840x1080 so a fair bit higher resolution which is noticeable if you have the power to run it.

I wouldn’t recommend maxing out the FOV like some people are suggesting you could to match a 32:9 aspect ratio but with more vertical FOV. That’s a fast way to get obvious fish eye and in racing titles especially not having the correct FOV will also mess up your perception of distance/speed which is why there are calculators for that.

The best way is to try on you current screen and see what you think you’d like best.

Upvote 0
I have a 65” Panasonic OLED and don’t game on it at all now I have the Samsung CRG90. The picture quality on the OLED is much better but I wouldn’t risk £4000 of TV getting burn-in from HDR gaming as the HUDs are way too bright for me to feel comfortable with.

Also 32:9 on the TV doesn’t look the same as the monitor, I think the curve really helps it wrap around for a start and it’s also 5120x1440 vs. 3840x1080 so a fair bit higher resolution which is noticeable if you have the power to run it.

I wouldn’t recommend maxing out the FOV like some people are suggesting you could to match a 32:9 aspect ratio but with more vertical FOV. That’s a fast way to get obvious fish eye and in racing titles especially not having the correct FOV will also mess up your perception of distance/speed which is why there are calculators for that.

The best way is to try on you current screen and see what you think you’d like best.

Appreciate the response, id like it even more if you showed some photos or video of even 21:9
It should manage 3840x1600 matching what 38" Ultrawide offer but at a much larger scale.

I know 32:9 is a bit of a stretch but that could be an approx 60" 32:9 display
Loads of people are gaming on OLED with no widespread reports of burn in and the new CX is promoted for gamers so they have to be confident it is not a problem.

Still keeping an eye on the G9 coming this year but blown away with OLED quality.

Upvote 0
Why a 49" ultra wide and not a 65" inch with custom ration?

- The Samsung QLED has a stunning picture quality
- 5120 horizontal resolution
- The ability to mount the screen directly behind the steering wheel, having as close as possible
- Curved screen, surrounding you. You can't look past the screen without excessive turning your head.
- Even though you mentioned you don't mind the black bars, it forces you to raise the screen too high and it does look strange if you are not running a full screen.

To put things in perspective, i also have a 55" Samsung tv, but the driving experience on that doesn't even come close to the experience on the Samsung 49". You do not need the extra horizontal FOV of a 4:3 TV, the FOV of the Samsung 49" is perfect for simracing.

Upvote 0
Appreciate the response, id like it even more if you showed some photos or video of even 21:9
It should manage 3840x1600 matching what 38" Ultrawide offer but at a much larger scale.

I know 32:9 is a bit of a stretch but that could be an approx 60" 32:9 display
Loads of people are gaming on OLED with no widespread reports of burn in and the new CX is promoted for gamers so they have to be confident it is not a problem.

Still keeping an eye on the G9 coming this year but blown away with OLED quality.
I used to game on a plasma so I’m well versed in preventing burn-in but HDR is a whole other kettle of fish and stuff like Destiny’s HUD is just a recipe for disaster and I’ve seen enough people having issues that for me it’s not worth the risk.

Until they have widespread options in games to remove ridiculous HUDs and still be playable HUDless or at least not be all white and dimmable I’m not risking it. If they were so confident they aren’t going to burn-in then why is burn-in not covered as a defect for warranty?!

I would do a pic but I’m about to pack everything to move and the HDMI cable isn’t plugged into the PC anymore, I could even have done one on my 104” projector (not really usable for driving since the rig would be in the way!) but I still use the monitor which surprised me to be honest as LCD black levels suck monkey balls. It’s also why I hadn’t bought one in over a decade until this monitor and why I got it from Amazon so I could return it if I didn’t like it so even despite me thinking LCD still sucks I’ve kept it and exclusively use it for gaming now.

Also one thing on resolution 5120x1440 looks as sharp as 4K on the OLED but 3840x1080 looks noticeably less sharp. For me it’s not an issue as I was gaming at 1080p a lot anyway since most modern games even a 1080Ti ain’t hitting 60fps which for 4K sharpness lovers is something to consider. 5120x1440 is just below 4K whereas 3840x1080 is above 1440p but with the same sharpness as 1080p.

Back to the scale thing since I got sidetracked honestly sitting closer to the curved screen fills far more of my FOV than sitting further from a larger screen and sitting closer to a larger screen doesn’t really make any sense, if you are that close may as well get the smaller one! I even used to use Bigscreen beta and virtual desktop in VR to race with a 20m screen for mega scale and had to turn my head to see the sides of the screen but this screen fills more than enough or your peripheral vision behind the wheel.

16:9 is probably the limit of what you can actually focus on at one time I reckon and I have a pretty wide IPD of 75.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea