Who do YOU Want in a Mercedes Next Season ?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mercedes Cockpit.jpg

With the shock retirement of Nico Rosberg now well behind us, and speculation seemingly daily as to who will replace the reigning World Champion at the all conquering AMG Mercedes F1 team next season, it looks like the German squad have whittled the list down to their final three names...

Ok so anything could happen in Formula One and no decision has yet been made by the team, but the smart money seems to firmly rest on two or three names currently competing in Grand Prix racing. With McLaren's double World Champion Fernando Alonso seen as an outside bet, the running looks to be between Mercedes junior and highly rated German Pascal Wehrlein and the Finnish Williams star Valtteri Bottas for a prized seat at the three pointed star in 2017.

The big question is, who do YOU want to see behind the wheel when the Grand Prix grid rolls out the pitlane at Albert Park next year? Take part in our poll above and leave a comment below as you choose between the three most likely candidates for the most sought after drive in Formula One.

Whilst you think it over, here's a brief recap of the three drivers' careers to date in Formula One:

Fernando Alonso.jpg

Fernando Alonso
Starts: 272
Wins: 32
Poles: 22
Podiums: 97
Fastest Laps: 21
F1 World Championships: 2
Career Highlights: Euro Open by Nissan Champion 1999, Formula One World Champion 2005, 2006.

Currently contracted to the McLaren team on the third year of a three year contract. Will the Spanish star want to team up again with Hamilton following the acrimonious season in 2007, and will McLaren be willing to release their prized asset following the loss of fellow World Champion Jenson Button?

Valtteri Bottas.jpg

Valtteri Bottas
Starts: 77
Wins: 0
Poles: 0
Podiums: 9
Fastest Laps: 1
F1 World Championships: 0 - Highest finish 4th
Career Highlights: Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup and NEC Champion 2008, Zandvoort Masters of F3 Winner 2009, 2010, GP3 Series Champion 2011.

Regarded as a future World Champion by team founder Sir Frank Williams, Bottas has shown signs of his obvious promise in recent seasons despite failing to secure a victory in his 77 race starts. Williams have reportedly already rebuffed attempts by Mercedes to lure the star away, however a deal could yet be stuck in return for engine discounts or increased funding.

Pascal Wehrelin.jpg

Pascal Wehrlein
Starts: 21
Wins: 0
Poles: 0
Podiums: 0
Fastest Laps: 0
F1 World Championships: 0 - Highest finish 19th
Career Highlights: ADAC Formel Masters Champion 2011, DTM Champion 2015

Highly rated by many racing insiders, the question remains as to if the young German has enough experience to represent the works Mercedes team at World Championship level. Probably the cheapest and easiest to acquire option, question marks as to why Mercedes chose Esteban Ocon over Wehrlein for the Force India seat next season must hang over the driver.

So who do you think should get the seat? Will Mercedes look to the future with a young gun? Will they sign arguably the finest driver on the grid in Alonso or will they snap up the highly regarded Bottas to finally prove he is World Champion material?

Join in the conversation at RaceDepartment! Head over to our Formula One sub forum and join up with your fellow fans to discuss all things Grand Prix racing. It's our little corner of the Internet where you can share your views and opinions on the world of Formula One.

Do you think Rosberg can be replaced effectively at Mercedes? Does the Germans retirement weaken the squad in 2017? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
FERNANDO!

Would love to see someone capable of taking it to Hamilton next season at Merc. Alonso is a massive talent, and to end a career with just two WDC would be a crying shame for me.

Bottas looks good, a race winner in fact. He just doesn't have the quality to be on par with a Hamilton / Vettel / Alonso etc IMHO.

Pascal for me looks pretty solid, but it's too soon and I don't think he'll prove to be a World Champion in the making personally. Plus I've not been impressed with him out of the car in the interviews I've seen. I think he's got trouble written all over him. Coupled with Hamilton, that could actually be quite fun to watch.........

Can I vote Ocon? :D

I know I said he was meh earlier, but actually I think Bottas actually might be a very good choice. The guy should be driving for Ferrari right now instead of fricking Raikkonen, and I would love to see if he would be able to challenge Lewis.

From a team and driver perspective Alonso is the best out of the ones listed no question, and the one I voted for.

Fierce competitor in a capable/half capable car. Would love to see him have a last hoorah. Only down side is his age, but that hasn't slowed some of the greats, and if things become more interesting (read faster speeds etc etc) it might light an even bigger fire under his ass to get moving towards a possible 3rd championship attempt. Question is would he actually benefit from leaving McLaren now, will Honda have their engine package together next season. IMO, he should go to Mercedes if the opportunity presents itself.

Either way new season is really exciting from the looks of it.

Andy, Ocon is already at Force India....

I don't really see Alonso or Bottas moving but either of them seem like great options. I would love to see Pascal at Mercedes to see what he would be i a car that isn't the worst on the

Do you think Rosberg can be replaced effectively at Mercedes? We will have to wait and see, This is something i don't think i could decide on till i have seen the first race or two.
Does the Germans retirement weaken the squad in 2017? Yes and no, it won't slow down development and that is really the only thing that matters apart from actually securing a driver which won't be that hard once they have made their choice.

I really doubt Mercedes would close a deal with Fernando Alonso. They already have a champion, they just need a second driver. I imagine Alonso would create a lot of attrition with Hamilton. But that's also why that would be the most interesting option, but again, I doubt that's what Mercedes wants.

Not sure if Wehrlein has enough experience to be the second driver of a top team like Mercedes.

So I voted Bottas. For me it's the most likely option between those 3 and actually the one I'm hoping for.

Because, that'll leave an open seat on Williams, and on a perfect world, Felipe Massa's sponsor could sponsor Felipe Nasr to ocupy that seat.

I think Nasr is a great driver, he just need a good car to prove himself.

Bottas is pretty good, but after a year or so when Wehrlein has developed he should get the seat, and when Hamilton leaves, Ocon should take the seat.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back