Who Could Fill the Vacant Mercedes Cockpit?

Have seen a lot of banter around in discussion threads here and over at reddit and basically everywhere, but as we all know there are some drivers which will surely not join Merc in 2017.
  • Vettel: he's bounded to the biggest or 2nd biggest rival of Mercedes, his idol is Michael Schumacher and by that and the nature of the team he will surely not switch if not being pushed into.
  • Ricciardo & Verstappen: both are confident to beat their team mates, both are confident in the 2017 car. Also, Red Bull wouldn't let them go anyways.
  • Sainz jr.: I dunno where this comes from but some fans, but this is just wishful thinking. Red Bull, aswell as Merc themselves, have bounded their past junior drivers so close to their junor program that they'll either have a go at RBR or drop out of F1 at all.
  • Alonso: yeah, there are tons of Alonso fans out there which want to see their idol in a competing car. But does anybody seriously believe that he wants to deal with Hamilton again? Come on. He'll get a (major) salary raise by McLaren just in time and stuff's done. Also, McLaren needs an experienced driver and Button surely won't jump in again to cruise around in the mid-field with Vandoorne eventually beating him.
  • Bottas: Williams junior, might even end his carrer there. Although he's managed by Wolff, I don't see a Merc seat on his way.

So now Mercedes has basically two options to deal with this.
Option 1: hire a young gun to throw him in at a top seat and sit it out how things develop. Hamilton will be unstoppable in the team's classification in 2017 then.
Option 2: buy an experienced driver out of an existing contract and keep their juniors in line for 2018.
  • Wehrlein: Is German, young, talented and definetly Merc's best shot for option 2.
  • Ocon: Force India will surely let him go for some reduced costs of the Merc engine or further engine support. However, I feel like Williams just bought themselves the #1 status as customers with the Stoll dollars. Also, if Ocon leaves FI, Merc would have to place Wehrlein into that cockpit and this wouldn't end too well.
  • Massa: Bring him in for 2017, give him a one-year contract and a following contract for DTM. Would make sense for both, but is Merc really willing to get any elder for one year? And would Massa agree on that after his retirement and Alonso experience?
  • Giovinazzi: Might not be able to jump straight into Mercedes, but could be a serious option for a 2nd-half-of-the-year-drive. Also, GP2 is not too far off from F1 and I'm sure Wolff knows that. Would also be a good marketing deal when the next feeder series superstar would finally enter their team (after Verstappen deciding against them).
  • Perez: he's good, but is he good enough for a factory drive? Merc could play the risky game here and hire him for one season. If he's better then expected, they'll surely keep him. If not, Carlos Slim would keep his F1 chances alive and nobody's harmed.
It's definetly one of the most intersting scenarios of the decade and will (finally!) shake up a lot of things in recent structures in F1 and feeder series. The one who's already won by that is Rosberg with leaving out Mercedes to a risky situation. Actually the first time they need to pull off a decision out-of-the-blue. We'll see what will happen.

Nicole Scherzinger. The two Mercedes cars can then hump each other all they want, if you know what I mean.

Sergio Perez is by far, the best and most obvious hire to be made. In fact is a mistake not give the mexican this seat.
Mercedes can easily take him from Force India, Im sure that wont be a problem. And Wehrlein would be happy aswell, because he can take a Force India seat instead of Sauber or Manor.

Verstappen, Alonso, Ricciardo, Vettel? Everyone can dream. Never going to happen.
Hulkemberg also now have a factory contract, with a leader position, so very very unlikely.

Maybe Button, with the prospect of a competitive car. Because this team was the Brawn team, and the Honda team before that...both teams where Button was highly rated.

It is the surprise season now for sure and I think the next surprise will be JB at Merc', so he can finish off scuppering Hamilton; which he would have done if Hamilton had not got the breeze up and deserted the team that made him.
Barring that...come back Maldonado, all is forgiven. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a no team-mate clause in Lewis contract re:Alonso.

Pascal maybe? Likely eh?

Otherwise bottAs to merc and Pascal to Williams?

Fixed.
Nah he has a Verstappen attitude (and you all know how much I hate Verstappen)

Btw: i don't know which interviews you watch, but every time i see a Dutch interview with him he is definitely not arrogant. Self confident yes. But when so: he can take it.
Many (ex-)F1 drivers are lyrical about him. Andretti, Berger.... Ricciardo is convinced that RBR got really in the lift when Verstappen was added to the team.

Fixed.

Btw: i don't know which interviews you watch, but every time i see a Dutch interview with him he is definitely not arrogant. Self confident yes. But when so: he can take it.
Many (ex-)F1 drivers are lyrical about him. Andretti, Berger.... Ricciardo is convinced that RBR got really in the lift when Verstappen was added to the team.

There's a difference between self confidence and saying you know better than every other driver, including world champions

Sainz jr.: I dunno where this comes from but some fans, but this is just wishful thinking. Red Bull, aswell as Merc themselves, have bounded their past junior drivers so close to their junor program that they'll either have a go at RBR or drop out of F1 at all.

Sainz Jr isn't a bad shout. Toro Rosso is a dead end for him. He is ready for a top drive but he isn't going to get one at RB, who have sorted their lineup out for the next 5 years potentially (And Sainz won't wait five years.

Maybe Button

He's retired though

Again, he's retired

Vettel: he's bounded to the biggest or 2nd biggest rival of Mercedes, his idol is Michael Schumacher and by that and the nature of the team he will surely not switch if not being pushed into.

After a extremely frustrating season, and there being tensions between Vettel and Arrivabene at times, I wouldn't be surprised. Vettel wants to win world championships, and I don't think Ferrari are the best team at the moment to do that

I think the guy who suggested Giovinnazi (hoped I spelt that right) is thinking outside the box and I am not sure Mercedes do that much but he is definitely one to watch in the future. The prospect of Vettel and Hamiliton is an exciting one but nah can't see it happening realistically.

Button could take the shortest retirement in F1 history and be back for 2017 as could Massa for a one year contract until a more obvious contender comes to light.

Not totally convinced by Wehrline or Ocon but they would probably be in with a shout but here's a really left of field option Simon Pagenaud who won US Indy Car with 8 podiums this year. I know the two types of racing vary in a million different ways but the proven winner might be worth a punt if all other options hit the wall.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back