which GPU is best for AC?

Upgraded to a GTX760 to try triple screens, I have to run fairly low AA/AF (I think I have 4x AF, 3x MSAA, 0xAA) and everything else on 'high' (vs. very high) or 'medium' (where the top notch is 'high') to get 5760x1200 over 60fps. 5760x1080 is a fairly straightforward 10% increase in fps like you'd expect, and really only loses me a bit of the dashboard and headliner, so I might run at that resolution if it becomes an issue. Basically gives me 70fps steady alone, dropping to low 60s near several other cars. TBH the higher quality AA does look nicer, and the v. high quality shadows are way nicer, but I can live with it for spending a lot less money.

Pretty confident the grid is CPU limited now; switching from a 460 to 760 left me with the same fps drop on a 12 car grid. (to around 40fps) and 24 car grids are just a problem as they go under 30 fps.

Last edited:
you guys are talking about single screen gaming i presume
like Olav is saying: triple screen will require a 780ti and i don't think you can max out everything, right?
do correct me if i 'm wrong
Nope! Triples for me, but I'm not running max, no need.

Shadows medium
HDR on
Cube map low
Faces 3
AF 16x
AA 8x

3570k @4.8
Gtx780 @ 1250

Maintain 60 no problem on any track with full grid.

I don't know if someone already The best visual experience i get with a maximum of 12 cars on grid, is by maxing out everything with HDR off.
Nope! Triples for me, but I'm not running max, no need.

Shadows medium
HDR on
Cube map low
Faces 3
AF 16x
AA 8x

3570k @4.8
Gtx780 @ 1250

Maintain 60 no problem on any track with full grid.

still, what about maxed out settings at 1080p? what do you get?

Just thought I would provide some updated info. As I previously stated the new AMD cards with reference coolers run very hot, and as a result I do not recommend them.

However, we are now starting to see custom cards from the graphics card companies. The new XFX R9 290X Double Dissipation Edition card is amazing. The custom cooler on it is equivalent to the nVidia solution, and keep the temps much lower than reference. Almost as low as nVidia's. Also, the card runs faster since it doesn't need to throttle the GPU below 1GHZ like the reference design to maintain thermal limits.

In summary, it is a very fast and efficient card.. Worth looking at.

I'm still very happy with my nVidia GTX 780 Ti, but if this XFX card was available at my time of purchase...

Here is the review running in Crossfire Config: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...ation_edition_crossfire_review/1#.UuaMg7Xn964

I'll post the review once they have the single card review up.

Maybe Kunos should patch a benchmark mode in so we can check the performance.
It would make sense dont you think?

I am running 5760 x 1200 with a single GTX 780 and everything maxed our except the cubes, which are set to 2 and i never drop bellow 60fps with a i7 950.
In a normal race i lose about 10% in fps, still maintain 60fps.
Note that i dont always run fraps during my play, but when i do thats the results i am seeing.

exactly year ago :) I build and overclock my pc
score was good... very good :confused: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5751949
combined score 8923 ;)

...some people today with new drivers and after OC have lower combined score with + 300$
i5 4670K and 770 etc. :D
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7407802

AC maxed out 1080p

928_image7201.jpg

425_image7206.jpg

including
max setup for AC in nvidia panel as well ;) fps will drop :)

509_desktop_2014_01_04_21_14_48_14.jpg

full grid and 38 - 45 fps fraps is on so without should be 50 or more...
using just one screen 55" full HD

Last edited:
I'm thinking of building a gaming PC (maybe further down the line, end of the year or so).

It will be a budget build, and I'm thinking of AMD CPU (better bang for buck - Intel is too expensive, especially in Australia) and nVidia GPU (most games I play are supposed to be better with nVidia - plus I want the built in PhysX).

I'm thinking of going with either a GTX 650Ti, 660, 750Ti or 760 (depending on if I can afford the last free). All 2gb versions.

The 750Ti isn't out yet but I think it's supposed to be similar to the 660. Currently, I can get a Gigabyte GTX 650Ti for AU$170, Gigabyte GTX 660 for AU$240, or a Zotac GTX 760 for AU$330. I'd like some feedback on these choices.

Some questions:

1) Why are some cards with same/similar specs so different in price? Surely EVGA isn't good enough to be worth $40 more than a Gigabyte with the same VRAM and similar clock speed?

2) How is Zotac as a brand? I've never heard of them. Nor have I heard of EVGA, but I've seen their cards being recommeded a lot.

3) How much better is a 760 than a 660? Is the 750Ti likely to be better/worse/the same as a 660? At this stage it seems that I'll probably be going with a 750Ti if the price is right, but I may go for a 760/770 if I have more money (I don't work, but I may get money from birthdays and stuff before I do my planned build in late November/December, after exams...)

Thanks in advance for feedback ;)

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I was looking for AC-specific feedback so it seemed like the right place to post :)

You've got a lot better CPU than me and about 10 times the GPU power....something isn't right....I'm running a 2500k at 4.3ghz with a 6950 (actually two 6950's but crossfire is disabled with AC) and my performance isn't that far off of yours...Simon seems to be getting better performance on trips with a single GTX 780 and less CPU than you.

Between the performance problems and "cheating" AI it sounds like AC is not the game for you right now...hopefully by the time V1.0 gets here it will be better for you.

Titan SLI gives me 80/85fps on the back of full grid with every single option maxed out at 1080p.With a single Titan i get 58/60fps.

Something is way off, with a Titan SLI you should get a lot more FPS on 1080p...

I get over 125FPS (depending on track, silverstone start is the worst I think) with a single 780TI (EVGA superclocked) @ 3840x1024 and everything maxed out except cubes at 3 (since I can't see a difference). I actually dialed it down a bit and forced 2x sparse grid supersampling to help AA and still get around 120fps...

I got a 780TI (EVGA Superclocked with ACX cooler) last week after many many years of using various Radeon cards... So far I love it, Nvidia surround came a long way and works great...

Something is way off, with a Titan SLI you should get a lot more FPS on 1080p...

I get over 125FPS (depending on track, silverstone start is the worst I think) with a single 780TI (EVGA superclocked) @ 3840x1024 and everything maxed out except cubes at 3 (since I can't see a difference). I actually dialed it down a bit and forced 2x sparse grid supersampling to help AA and still get around 120fps...

I got a 780TI (EVGA Superclocked with ACX cooler) last week after many many years of using various Radeon cards... So far I love it, Nvidia surround came a long way and works great...

try maxed out settings with full cubes and full grid :) set nvidia panel for AC as well...
it will be probably half of your fps ;)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of building a gaming PC (maybe further down the line, end of the year or so).

It will be a budget build, and I'm thinking of AMD CPU (better bang for buck - Intel is too expensive, especially in Australia) and nVidia GPU (most games I play are supposed to be better with nVidia - plus I want the built in PhysX).

I'm thinking of going with either a GTX 650Ti, 660, 750Ti or 760 (depending on if I can afford the last free). All 2gb versions.

The 750Ti isn't out yet but I think it's supposed to be similar to the 660. Currently, I can get a Gigabyte GTX 650Ti for AU$170, Gigabyte GTX 660 for AU$240, or a Zotac GTX 760 for AU$330. I'd like some feedback on these choices.

Some questions:

1) Why are some cards with same/similar specs so different in price? Surely EVGA isn't good enough to be worth $40 more than a Gigabyte with the same VRAM and similar clock speed?

2) How is Zotac as a brand? I've never heard of them. Nor have I heard of EVGA, but I've seen their cards being recommeded a lot.

3) How much better is a 760 than a 660? Is the 750Ti likely to be better/worse/the same as a 660? At this stage it seems that I'll probably be going with a 750Ti if the price is right, but I may go for a 760/770 if I have more money (I don't work, but I may get money from birthdays and stuff before I do my planned build in late November/December, after exams...)

Thanks in advance for feedback ;)

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I was looking for AC-specific feedback so it seemed like the right place to post :)

A lot of questions here.. lol

I'd recommend sticking to the 7 series cards. The 6 series are getting a little old now, and in my area there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between a 660 and a 760. Your milage may vary of course. Depending on your target resolution (1080p?), really determines what card you need. A 760 should be sufficient, although you'll probably need to reduce some settings.

For your other questions.

1) A number of reasons. Larger companies enjoy economy of scale, meaning they buy more stuff at lower pricing, so they can price their stuff more competitively. Some cards are also more customized (different cooling solutions or board layout), which adds to the cost. Also, there may be bundled items such as games, shirts, posters, etc. Watch out for warranties as well.

2) Zotac is a smaller vendor, I've heard good things about them on various review sites. They think outside of the box and come up with some good custom stuff. I personally haven't had any experience with them though. Check their warranty before purchase, and look up support forums and stuff to see how they do. Remember though, people with problems are often the most vocal. So take things with a grain of salt.

3) This link should give you a bit of a rough idea. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/705.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back