Where can I try a direct drive wheel before making a decision?

For a while I've been considering getting a direct drive wheel (which will also require a solid rig instead of my desk). I can afford it but it'll be a massive cost. I can justify it if I enjoy the driving more, with one example being that it's easier to catch slides and prevent crashing.

I've recently been driving a difficult car (Lola T70) and I don't know if some of my crashes were effected by the controls (G27) not giving me proper feedback, or if it's just my inability. If the latter there may not be much point in upgrading.

If there was somewhere I could go to try out a solidly mounted direct drive wheel (with decent pedals), I might be able to make an informed choice. On the other hand it may take time to really understand things.

I understand that right now it may not be wise to visit some place, or some stranger's house, so this post refers to the time when life starts getting back to normal.

I'm based in NW England.

Any thoughts on the issue?

Not much help for you immediately but you could try a session at Century Sim Racing who are based in Warrington, if and when the pandemic eases off.

I've found that a DD wheel can give you traction loss cues slightly earlier but it definitely won't magically stop you from making any errors that you might currently be making. As harsh as this sounds, it's more likely you than the wheelbase you are using.

I make lots of mistakes and am generally slow compared to average. Getting a DD turned the immersion up to 11 but did not make me faster or less prone to mistakes if that's any help to you :)

Upvote 0
I would really like to do the same but in the South of the UK. I had started by looking for sim racing arcades and there are a few in and around London but alas the gear they had was universally not direct drive based. They seem mostly focussed on corporate team building events so they were based on pre-booked slots. They certainly exist but just didn't have the gear I wanted to try (all Thrustmaster T300s unfortunately). I didn't find any with a direct drive wheelbase to try so they weren't much use.

Upvote 0
I've found the local league members very helpful, I'm in Finland and it's not been too hard to find exotic gear to test even though the community is quite small.

Upvote 0
I would really like to do the same but in the South of the UK. I had started by looking for sim racing arcades and there are a few in and around London but alas the gear they had was universally not direct drive based. They seem mostly focussed on corporate team building events so they were based on pre-booked slots. They certainly exist but just didn't have the gear I wanted to try (all Thrustmaster T300s unfortunately). I didn't find any with a direct drive wheelbase to try so they weren't much use.

There is a place close to me in Essex, named Turn 1 They were mainly using Thrustmaster gear but I noticed a recent video on their Facebook page and they've switched to a Fanatec Podium. Could be worth contacting them.

Upvote 0
If someone like Fanatec or Simucube is looking at this we could really do with some places to test the kit. Its a big investment and I want to have some idea of a) just how much better it is and b) which of them I likely want. The problem with selling things you feel is its very difficult to sell without hands-on time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answers.

Middlesbourough is a bit far to travel but thanks for the offer. I might change my mind in the future though.

Not much help for you immediately but you could try a session at Century Sim Racing who are based in Warrington, if and when the pandemic eases off. :)
That looks right next to a go karting place I've been too lots of times (it's been ages though, even before the lockdown). Definitely a place to keep an eye on (and maybe get back in to karting, while I'm there). Actually, looking at their video it looks like the exact same unit.

Also, happy for people to use this thread to suggest other places for other people to go, not just near me or in the UK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes