When Two Hobbies Collide You Get Epic Results

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
A beautiful custom made bicycle by WyndyMilla for the Sahara Force India F1 team will be used by Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon, mechanics and engineers on and around the Formula One paddock.

It's not a secret that besides being an avid sim racer and motorsport fan I have also become a passionate cyclist again after being away from the bike for 20 years. Originally forced by medical reasons I had to climb back on the road bike to get fit again and this quickly lead to the birth of our little cycling sister community CyclingDepartment.com, which you should absolute join if you also have a passion for bikes or need help in getting fit again.

The following news about WyndyMilla teaming up with one of the leading Formula 1 teams really made me smile as I am clearly not the only one with a passion for both worlds. A Formula One bike is born.

A range of pink colored bikes, which includes the brand new Pirelli P Zero road bike tyres, will be based at the team’s Silverstone HQ alongside a fleet of travelling bikes to be used at Grand Prix events allowing the race team to keep up fitness training while on the road.

Which motorsport livery would you like to see on a custom bicycle if you could own one?

Heh. My 2 hobbies indeed.... except I like steel bikes and classic race cars. No carbon fiber for me, thank you. :p (love the pink though)

I used to work with Specialized brand bikes, and they sponsored a pro motorcycle racer. Makes sense. Drivers have to be in great shape, and lots of cycling skill translate to MC, and vice-versa.

My two worlds joined again and it's great to see because both have a big aerodynamic technology and used it make a bike.

Mclaren have done this some years ago with Specialized and they used the same carbon fiber of the car to make the bike frame.

mclaren-f1-specialized-roadbike-designboom03.jpg

I know its not a current Formula 1 team, but Jaguar worked co-in part with Pinarello to create Bradley Wiggins his 1 hour record bike. Love seeing the car and bike manufacturers work together - just like you, brings both of my hobbies together.
sir-bradley-wiggins-uci-hour-record-wiggins-pinarello-bolide-hr_3313299.jpg
6-jag_pinarello_bolide_hr_image_070615_07.jpg

Great looking bike. Love the pink, and it would be fitting to ride it in May while the Giro is going on.

Always wanted a Colnago Ferrari but couldn't justify the cost. And speaking of bikes (or components) with hooks into cars, Campagnolo is well known for their components and wheels, and they also did the original wheels on my '78 Ferrari 308GTB. On my first trip to Japan I saw a ton of named bikes that made me chuckle; you had bikes like "Chevrolet".

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000