1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Videocard Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nigel Atkins, Apr 20, 2007.

1. i think its time i upgraded my grapichs, as the one i have now realy strugles with Race.

my specs are:-

Amd Athlon 2.8ghz 64 socket 754
    1 gb ram
    Biostar NF325-A7

my budget is around £150, now with my current MB i can only use AGP so would i be better getting a new AGP card or could i upgrade my MB to PCI-E GPU for about the same money.

thanks for any advice :)
  2. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

i use two 7600GT cards from nvidia but then you pc must be compatible with SLI technology.

if not? you can think of buying the 7900GT card which has 512MB memory.. i think it will fit in your budget, the rest of you system looks good for RACE

good luck
  3. is the 7900GT a PCI-E card?

i can get a 7800 GS for £150
  4. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

ehm dunno, wait for the tech duded to reply here :)
  5. thanks paarma great info =D>

is the 1950 clockable? and is it easy to do?

thanks Ako :)
  6. Yes it overlclockable->Overclocking
    and yes its easy to overclock.
  7. my PSU is a Colorsit 550watt would this be ok for the X1950?

thanks Ako :)
  8. Cant really say for sure...sorry. My best guess would be..yes.
  9. i phoned overclockers and i need a psw with at least 20amps on the 12v rail and mine is 30amps, so all being well i should have my new GPU up and running for tonights tornement :)

thanks Ako
  10. =D>
  11. bloody computers ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

i installed the card, rebotted my pc started up race and was just changing the graphics settings and my pc shut its self down :-s

after 3 attempts i have now put my old card back in but was to late for the tornament :-({|=
  12. sound like an insufficient power problem to me
  13. correct =D>

just fitted a corsair 520w and alls good again :)
  14. I was affraid that it would happend. You never know for sure with these things.
  15. Glad you got it sorted dude, shame about having to spend more money to get it though...
  16. thanks :)

hopfully i have spent wisely, the new psu has a 5 yr warrenty, in 2yrs or so i want to build a new pc with twin gpu. now i already have the psu for it \:D/
  17. [Central Topic] What Videocard Should I Buy?

my current 8600GT is just not good enough, i`m sick of constant screen freezers and am looking for something to replace it with.
    i only play racing games Evo and rFactor mainly.

Gigabyte GA-G33m-DS2R
    Intel core 2 E4500 @2.2GHZ
    Kingston PC2-6400 CL5 (4x1GB)
    Corsair HX520W PSU

i recon i`ve got around £250 to spend, i have no preforance over nVidia or ATI i just want something reliable and no more screen freezers.

Cheers Nigel :hug-right:
  18. Abdul Al-Amry

Abdul Al-Amry
    2011 RD Indy 500 Winner

Hi Nigel,

I am in the process of building a pc. From the recommendation and based on the price range you have, go for the ATI HD4870 1 GB.