What Track do you want to be good at but it just keeps slipping away

AusWillis

Premium
I have tried and tried to get to know and become proficient at Le mans, I own the track but I can't put any decent laps together without crashing or giving up and going back to Canadian Motorsport park or Watkins Glenn or Spa.

I keep trying and will keep trying but man it frustrates me.

Anyone else struggle with a track that they want to be good at but it just won't come together

I'll bet the issue with Le Mans is the wide difference in speeds through the corners. You've got some blistering fast corners along with sharp elbows that almost require you to stop and get out to lift the car around the corner. Your mind is thinking slow down for the sharp corner but your foot says it's still a 100 yards away....push!

If I've had a couple of jars then Le Mans is incredibly difficult. Nordschliefe is also up there as its just so long. I know the corners and where they come in order, but its slowing down sufficiently or too much that I have a problem with.
Maybe we do a 2.4hr of that track on rF2 next and I'll practice it more to become more proficient...

i think the start to learning anywhere is to use a low powered car
It is the first thing " 4 wheel drift " for GPL told you

No more apparent then Historic F3 where everything comes down to 100's of revs and one little slip can cost seconds, pinpoint steering on straights actually swapping sides along Masta
to get a few more revs here and there

You would think such a slow car on Belgium '66 would be easy, it's 100% throttle, no lifting, no feathering except for the 4 braking points Eau Rouge, Les Combes, Blancimont and La Source

See how close you can get to 4:16 unassisted ;)

DLC Nords it is heaven every little bump you can feel with F3 so sensitive

When I'm working with real race drivers in simulators, the first thing we get them to do is just drive around slowly like its a Sunday afternoon drive. But, importantly drive the correct racing lines, and talk to yourself about braking points etc. Then you speed up in slow increments. You'll feel slow but you'll be doing all the right things, and it'll feel comfortable. At the point where you speed up so much that you feel uncomfortable stop, sit for 5 or 10 minutes and think about what you are doing. Then work on 1 or 2 different areas of the track at a time, and give yourself time in between to think about what went right and what went wrong, so you can bank a plan of action for the next lap of something to try.

I worked with an Indycar driver for a few real tests some years ago, and he would drive around about 0.5 second off a really good lap to give himself time to fully analyse what was happening each corner. Then when we wanted a real fast lap, he'd say don't ask me for feedback because at that point he'd be fully focused and commited and had no capacity for anything addiitonal.

Last thing, look further down the track. So many people are guilty of looking too short and then you don't have so much time to react and position the car in the right place etc. It's really hard to change but it does make a big difference.

When I'm working with real race drivers in simulators, the first thing we get them to do is just drive around slowly like its a Sunday afternoon drive. But, importantly drive the correct racing lines, and talk to yourself about braking points etc. Then you speed up in slow increments. You'll feel slow but you'll be doing all the right things, and it'll feel comfortable. At the point where you speed up so much that you feel uncomfortable stop, sit for 5 or 10 minutes and think about what you are doing. Then work on 1 or 2 different areas of the track at a time, and give yourself time in between to think about what went right and what went wrong, so you can bank a plan of action for the next lap of something to try.

I worked with an Indycar driver for a few real tests some years ago, and he would drive around about 0.5 second off a really good lap to give himself time to fully analyse what was happening each corner. Then when we wanted a real fast lap, he'd say don't ask me for feedback because at that point he'd be fully focused and commited and had no capacity for anything addiitonal.

Last thing, look further down the track. So many people are guilty of looking too short and then you don't have so much time to react and position the car in the right place etc. It's really hard to change but it does make a big difference.

Thank you for that, that is so well put and makes so much sense, I will persevere with it.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.