What is the current situation re. OSW support? - good or not so good?

Hi,

Posted this over on the R3E forum but thought I would throw it in here as well.

I've just ordered an OSW small MiGE from Sim Racing Bay and will be moving from a Fanatec CSW2.5 set up. I'm a little apprehensive as the Fanatec gear just plain works and feels absolutely fine across all sims I play. (AC, R3E & rF2)

However I'm ready for the upgrade and want to experience the benefits of a DD wheel but whilst I appreciate that the OSW, Simucube, game settings and possibly some game files will require some setting up and tweaking, I keep reading that R3E isn't really that great an experience with an OSW, for one reason or another, with lack of 'road feel' being the one that comes up more frequently than others.

So I've a few questions please.

1. Are my concerns justified or has the experience improved of late?

2. If these shortcomings do exist, has anyone overcome them using Simucube and / or in-game settings?

3. If issues still remain after tweaking, is my R3E experience with an OSW still likely to be better than what I'm feeling with the Fanatec?

Appreciate that a lot of this is subjective as what feels right to one doesn't always feel right for someone else. However I would appreciate the general view so that I can temper my expectations if needs be and maybe focus on the other sims, which if you believe what you read, appear to offer a better OSW experience.

Many thanks!

I get good results with the OSW (SimuCube / Small Mige) in R3E. The tricky part was finding the right balance of game FFB-effects. I created my custom profile by starting with the AccuForce preset and tweaking it from there.

Give this a try and see if it works for you. Most cars work good but, the new FWD cars may need to have the FFB lowered a bit as they tend to give boosted effects that can be overwhelming at higher force settings.

Attachments

• SimuCube 2018.rcs
    33.6 KB · Views: 272
I get good results with the OSW (SimuCube / Small Mige) in R3E. The tricky part was finding the right balance of game FFB-effects. I created my custom profile by starting with the AccuForce preset and tweaking it from there.

Give this a try and see if it works for you. Most cars work good but, the new FWD cars may need to have the FFB lowered a bit as they tend to give boosted effects that can be overwhelming at higher force settings.

That is so good of you! Thank you. I'm probably a couple of weeks away from setting up the small MiGE but will give this ago when it comes to R3E.

OSW / Simucube is all new to me so can I ask where I need to put this file please? Is it the one I put in R3E's 'control set' directory or is it for Simucube?

Thank you again. Really appreciated!

Steve

That is so good of you! Thank you. I'm probably a couple of weeks away from setting up the small MiGE but will give this ago when it comes to R3E.

OSW / Simucube is all new to me so can I ask where I need to put this file please? Is it the one I put in R3E's 'control set' directory or is it for Simucube?

Thank you again. Really appreciated!

Steve
The file goes into the R3E control-set directory. Here is a new version as I found that having the Steering-rack effects enabled was causing some un-wanted behavior with extreme oscillations and hard-pulling to one side if you release the wheel.

I set the Reconstruction-filter in SimuCube to 3 to get a nice rubbery quality in the FFB. Some small amount of Friction or Dampening in SimuCube may be needed to reduce smaller oscillations and/or notchy feeling around center. I'm still experimenting with that to find the best solution.

Attachments

• SimuCube 2018.rcs
    33.6 KB · Views: 271
The file goes into the R3E control-set directory. Here is a new version as I found that having the Steering-rack effects enabled was causing some un-wanted behavior with extreme oscillations and hard-pulling to one side if you release the wheel.

I set the Reconstruction-filter in SimuCube to 3 to get a nice rubbery quality in the FFB. Some small amount of Friction or Dampening in SimuCube may be needed to reduce smaller oscillations and/or notchy feeling around center. I'm still experimenting with that to find the best solution.

Top man! Thank you so much again.

Here is an example of my settings in SimuCube. Keep in mind, these are WIP and may change if I find better settings.

The use of "Sine Wave" is important with RR and the DI-Friction effect adds resistance to the wheel when the car is stationary. Depending on your encoder, you may want to experiment with different Torque Bandwidth Limit settings to see if it makes any difference.

Attachments

• RRsimuCube011.jpg
    RRsimuCube011.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 271
Here is an example of my settings in SimuCube. Keep in mind, these are WIP and may change if I find better settings.

The use of "Sine Wave" is important with RR and the DI-Friction effect adds resistance to the wheel when the car is stationary. Depending on your encoder, you may want to experiment with different Torque Bandwidth Limit settings to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks so much for this Dean.

I've only had my OSW small MiGE set up for a few days and am still learning the ropes although my first impressions are that it is an epic piece of kit. :thumbsup:

I've tried your settings and they feel pretty good to me but of all the main sim titles I've tried with the OSW so far, R3E has the poorest road feel communication by a long way compared to let's say AC and rFactor2, which feel far more natural and are immediately intuitive because you can feel what the wheels are doing against the track surface.

That's such a shame as I love this sim and it was my 'go-to' title for a long time but maybe I'm just being harsh, need to play around and experiment with the in-game / Simucube settings more and just get used to what is a very different feel to the other aforementioned titles.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thanks so much for this Dean.

I've only had my OSW small MiGE set up for a few days and am still learning the ropes although my first impressions are that it is an epic piece of kit. :thumbsup:

I've tried your settings and they feel pretty good to me but of all the main sim titles I've tried with the OSW so far, R3E has the poorest road feel communication by a long way compared to let's say AC and rFactor2, which feel far more natural and are immediately intuitive because you can feel what the wheels are doing against the track surface.

That's such a shame as I love this sim and it was my 'go-to' title for a long time but maybe I'm just being harsh, need to play around and experiment with the in-game / Simucube settings more and just get used to what is a very different feel to the other aforementioned titles.

Thanks again!

Steve
RaceRoom FFB is one of the more challenging titles to tune imo but, I'm fairly happy with the results so far and I have no doubt they can be improved upon.

There is still a lack of surface detail in RaceRoom's FFB but, the grip-loss aspect is conveyed very well imo, especially useful with FWD cars.

I agree that a certain amount of Dampening can be helpful and useful with DD-wheels, especially in terms of taming the wheel's sharp and abrupt movements and in providing more realism in the overall FFB. The trick is to balance such effects so that the important detail is not lost.

Yep, I'm getting there Dean and can already feel improvements, which is encouraging.

Can I ask where would I need to look though to reduce oscillation in the wheel near centre, especially on the straights?

Thanks.

@McDuff79

I did mate and I used a WTCR car as my test mule. When I get back home this evening I'll fire over my SimuCube and in-game settings. They aren't perfect and down to personal taste of course, as RR isn't the greatest advert for an OSW, compared to others, albeit it does output a couple of characteristics very well.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve. Apologies for never replying mate. I had no idea there was a reply waiting. Im starting again with settings tonihgt as have found that nudgung a wall sometimes has odd effects on the wheel, pulling hard in one direction as if mega damage had occurred. Ive read turning colision effects off prevents this.
I'll give your settings a go tonight. thanks again!

Hey Steve. Apologies for never replying mate. I had no idea there was a reply waiting. Im starting again with settings tonihgt as have found that nudgung a wall sometimes has odd effects on the wheel, pulling hard in one direction as if mega damage had occurred. Ive read turning colision effects off prevents this.
I'll give your settings a go tonight. thanks again!
Yes, contact with a wall or another car can cause the steering to pull hard in one direction. Another bump will usually return the steering to normal but, pressing pause and resuming may also work in solving the issue.

Ah I was wondering what was causing that. I'll try to remember to turn that off next time I boot it up.

@RaceNut I need to try your settings. I've been using these:
and the forces seem too high for me. This sim is the hardest one for me to find ideal settings for.

Ah I was wondering what was causing that. I'll try to remember to turn that off next time I boot it up.

@RaceNut I need to try your settings. I've been using these:
and the forces seem too high for me. This sim is the hardest one for me to find ideal settings for.
I'm working on another FFB-tuning project right now using the AccuForce but, when I can get back to it with the OSW, I'll share my latest RR settings based on use with a broader range of car & track combinations.

I'm working on another FFB-tuning project right now using the AccuForce but, when I can get back to it with the OSW, I'll share my latest RR settings based on use with a broader range of car & track combinations.

Just saw this reply but thank you! I love R3E but I just can't get it feeling right with my OSW.

Just saw this reply but thank you! I love R3E but I just can't get it feeling right with my OSW.
Looking at the video you referenced, my settings are quite different. I used Gamer Muscle's settings (video) for my initial reference and tweaked them from there but, I'll note my settings and report back. I think there are couple of things that may help you.

Here are my current settings. Be aware that these were developed for the Xbow and other cars may need some adjustments. I did make one edit in the rcs file for the Slip-Vibe frequency as I prefer it to be about 1.4. IIRC, I used the AccuForce preset as a base to work from.

Attachments

• RR 121918.jpg
    RR 121918.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 198
  • SimuCube RR121918.jpg
    SimuCube RR121918.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 225
  • SimuCube 2018.rcs
    34 KB · Views: 214

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes