WEC: Privateer LMP1 teams given performance boost

Boost.png

It has been announced that the privateer, non-hybrid LMP1 competitors are set to receive a performance boost ahead of the Six Hours of the Circuit of The Americas to bring them closer to the factory LMP1 outfits.

The FIA Endurance Committee has decided to allow Rebellion Racing and Team ByKolles to use a higher maximum petrol fuel flow and a higher petrol energy, as well as granting an increase in fuel capacity compared to the figures they had previously released for the COTA event.

Last time out at the Nurburgring the quickest non-hybrid was still more than 5 seconds off the pace of the Porsche and Audi LMP1 entries, so fingers crossed these new changes can help bunch the field slightly closer together.

At this point it is unclear whether the FIA will see fit to extend this gesture to the final three rounds of the championship.

The WEC will be back in action in a week's time in Austin, Texas for the Six Hours of the Circuit of The Americas, so stick and stay with RaceDepartment.com for all the coverage of Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty much useless that they give the privateers a Performance boost. because Hybrid P1's will always be faster because of the Hybrid (obviously) and the quality of the drivers

But why should they have more power? They have no hybrid on board, so everyone clearly understands they must be slower. I don't think they should be allowed to burn more fuel.
Instead, work on aero and gain time this way on LMP2.

I would like to go a step further: no privateers in LMP1. Make this an exclusive class for the rich and famous AAA brands with full out factory teams and let the rest focus on LMP2 for privateers only.

What's the point of Rebelllion and ByKolles having to race against Porsche, Audi, Nissan (lol) and Toyota in the same class when they know already before the start of the season that they will never be competitive. Why not put those resources into becoming a strong outfit for the LMP2 class.

You both have a point!
To answer @4 8 15 16 23 42 108 : Working on Aero I would say is more expensive than working on getting more power. Providing the engines don't go wrong too often.

@Bram has been very bold and I actually agree. Why should privateers join in against huge companies that have a far bigger budget?
It would allow a huge LMP2 field aswell. Maybe it would also get LMP3 more recognised aswell and maybe they would join Le Mans. :)

Thomas, now FIA has just buried your idea. They are in fact squeezing small manufacturers out of LMP2 to strengthen the LMP1-L crowd. Makes no sense really. This will be expensive.
And yes you are right about aero development. But WEC is about fuel saving technologies, not about boosting up the fuel.
Bram, I would fear at least Rebellion would then crush the opposition in LMP2. And finally competition would be worse even.

At least they are making an attempt to close the field. That's more than anyone can say about F1, they just as soon let the slower teams go bankrupt then give them anything to compete with.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back