Want to Plan for a Racing Web Series...

Ok, guys. I've had to look through my library and I could NOT find any watchable racing movies or tv series.

The best I could find is the oscar movie Grand Prix... which is very VERY dated (it even has an intermission).

Days of Thunder sucks
Driven sucks MORE
Michel Vailant sucks EVEN MORE

Racing Tv series? Bah I wish. I'm tired of Hollywood screwing up racing and I wish there would be some quality racing stories out there. So... I want to create a racing web series. Here's my idea, just gauging interest and if you guys are willing to watch my show if I produce it.

Ok. What's going on is that I've been watching a lot of BTCC and WTCC recently. And I got very very interested in touring cars. So I wanted to make a small net show around racing.

Think of it like a TV series but about racing. (There isnt a single tv show about racing and that's blasphemous ) How am I going to do this? Well first, the show is going to be drawn and it's going to be sequenced together to include voice work to make it seem live. It's very similar to Dead Space's promo net series when that game first came out.

Here, this are examples of what I'm talking about:

So I'm going to do that. But intercut it with footage of racing sims to complement the drawn cutscenes

As for games, we were originally thinking of GTR Evo because it was a fantastic looking game. However, the problem with GTR Evo is the fact that their crashes look...well...kinda lame the chassis doesnt dent or bend. It can only fall off.

So we took a look at rFactor. With the right combo and video editing, rFactor can look really really cool

But we wanted to race with the WTCC Extreme cars that GTR Evo had. Now, it first seemed that we'll have to go with non-fictional cars and the RACE X mod for rFactor. But through a quick internet search, I had found out that someone had actually converted GTR Evo WTCC Extreme cars into rFactor. I was overjoyed and today I had already developed a race schedule.

So. For now, we're planning on having Oscar and I be teammates that come on board a fresh new team. And we're going to have drama that will be similar to the Alonso v. Hamilton drama from the 07 season.

We still need a couple of more voice actors to fill some positions or maybe compete against Oscar and I in a rival team.
Would any sim racers be willing to help out? Heck, would any sim racers be willing to WATCH the show is a better question. Any thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated

JJ

Hmmm isn't converting WTCC Extremes from GTR Evo to rFactor illegal? :confused:

I believe if the parties involved both own rFactor AND the Race series then it's ok. Oscar and I both own rFactor and the entire Race series. However, for fear of this thread getting deleted. I have removed the links to the WTCC Ex mod.

The main reason why it's illegal is because there isn't a client check for the mod. So anybody who gets a hold of the mod will have content that is basically Race without owning Race.

I believe if the parties involved both own rFactor AND the Race series then it's ok. Oscar and I both own rFactor and the entire Race series. However, for fear of this thread getting deleted. I have removed the links to the WTCC Ex mod.

The main reason why it's illegal is because there isn't a client check for the mod. So anybody who gets a hold of the mod will have content that is basically Race without owning Race.

Thank you for deleting the link. I would like to watch it aswell :)

It's good that there's atleast some interest.

Doing this would be a lot of trouble but if there's atleast a few of you who are interested then i guess it'll be worth it :)

I'm thinking of doing ETCC mod instead now as i dont want trouble with the simbin guys. Do you think be using the WTCC Ex mod would be a problem despite all the members participating in it will have both rFactor and all the Race games?

i wanna watch too..

i didn't completly understant...but was thinkis..like this...
in u;r tv show u relat to real life motorsport f1.wtcc.btcc.wrc..and then most important champs from RD...like ATCC,WTM,RDLMS,RDTCC and RDCCC..and u make a show off all that with comentary./

Haha, Lizardfolk, nice to see you there mate :D

"Oscar", I assume you're refeering to Oscar Hardwick?

Dunno if I can help video making wise since I have very little experience with video editing. Commentary wise, well, tried this several times overf the years but I don't feel confident enough with English and I hate my voice anyway. But I might be able to help as a driver maybe. Just call me if you need some.

Anyway good luck with it if you manage to make it real, would definitely be interrested in watching.

i wanna watch too..

i didn't completly understant...but was thinkis..like this...
in u;r tv show u relat to real life motorsport f1.wtcc.btcc.wrc..and then most important champs from RD...like ATCC,WTM,RDLMS,RDTCC and RDCCC..and u make a show off all that with comentary./

Actually, think of it more like a tv series rather than a league or event broadcast. There will be fictional characters enacting in a fictional environment with (hopefully) good character development.

I mean, like Driven... except I hope to be better than Driven since writing wise Driven was absolutely horrible

Haha, Lizardfolk, nice to see you there mate :D

"Oscar", I assume you're refeering to Oscar Hardwick?

Dunno if I can help video making wise since I have very little experience with video editing. Commentary wise, well, tried this several times overf the years but I don't feel confident enough with English and I hate my voice anyway. But I might be able to help as a driver maybe. Just call me if you need some.

Anyway good luck with it if you manage to make it real, would definitely be interrested in watching.

Hi Yann, nice to see you here too :) Thanks for offering your help. To be honest, I would appreciate any help I can get (driver and/or voice). I'll contact you on skype :) Also, dont worry about your english. From my experience it's just fine

Also yeah, this idea have been bouncing around between Oscar Hardwick and I for a long time. I've just managed to get an artist so hopefully something will actually start to come out of this

As far as I understand it, the mod (even with a DVD check for example) would be illegal withoout Simbin's explicit permission to convert, seen as it is their IP. Just because you own the right to use the game and their cars, does not mean you have the right to modify their content without permission, or port it to another game completely. If it isn't a public release of the mod, then Simbin might be more comfortable with it (the WTM mod is a good example) however I don't see them giving permission for this.

Thanks, this was the sure answer I was looking for. Looks like I'll have to use another mod

EDIT: Wait... so EOAA GT and the Historic GT/TC mods have permission from their respective owners? I find this odd since EOAA GT is specifically ripping from GTR2 and GTR Evolution...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back