VR or not?

Yeah VR starting to grow on me, came from triples and 3d vision 2. Also previously had a OR CV1 for a week and sold it. Just swapped over my front and rear head cushioning on my Lenovo explorer, increase in fov and sharpness for free.

Yep eyes a little closer to lenses, may not suit everyone.
Read it on Reddit...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still on the fence waiting for next gen also wearing glasses, haven't had the chance to try out headsets fittings. With a GTX1060 6gb so I'm in the min specs area, might go for a Windows Mixed if the price drops in Europe like they are stateside.

Upvote 0
Still on the fence waiting for next gen also wearing glasses, haven't had the chance to try out headsets fittings. With a GTX1060 6gb so I'm in the min specs area, might go for a Windows Mixed if the price drops in Europe like they are stateside.
I have a pair of small glasses (size 46-19) that fit very comfortably in the Rift. For best comfort, you also need to add an extra cushion to the forehead portion to create some distance, otherwise you risk scratching both the glasses and the lenses.

In this regard, the PSVR mount style is king (same as samsung odyssey).

For racing games the 1060 6GB is more than enough for VR. Easily.
You will be cpu limited either way unless you push the pixel density through the roof.

Upvote 0
I'm going against the majority here but I've owned 2 rifts and sold 2 rifts. I won't be buying anymore!
It's uncomfortable
Resolution is poor
Wiring is horrendous and I don't mean light wires here, we're talking heavy wires that get in the way and take up all your usb.
Spend more time tweaking than racing just to get the Holy grail 90fps.
Fiddling for your keyboard and mouse and having to keep lifting the lense to check what you are pressing.
Lifting the lense to make sure you have 90fps.
More tweaking because someone posts that they have found an extra fps.
I spent €70 on insert lenses because I wear glasses and these Were successful.
Headset makes you hot and I don't mean in a sexy way.
Steaming up constantly
Talking as though your nose is blocked.
Graphically not good enough give me pancake all day long with beautiful looking graphics and hey! I can see my beautiful wheel I paid a lot of money for.
I will expect a million disagree but I've been as honest as I can be and while it may be fantastic for you, it wasn't worth it for me personally.

Upvote 0
I find it very hard to go back to non VR titles now and I only bought my rift at the start of the year.

I'm a glasses wearer but ended up buying the Widmo prescription lens insert and I love them.

I also had steaming up issues but I now have a fan blowing on my face when playing, stops me getting too hot and the rift never steams up now.

I'm lucky enough to have a 1080ti so I use supersampling usually to around x2 and although the low resolution was a shock for the first few days, my eyes have adjusted to it now and I have no issues with how it looks. The depth of field and situational awareness in VR outweighs the better resolution by a long way (for me anyway). I can quite easily use it for 5 or 6 hours and as for seeing things like the keyboard, FPS meter or more importantly my beer, I've learned to look through the nose gap which is covered by the area of the Widmo lenses and just like using my glasses.

I've also learned to drink bottles of beer then I can drink without taking the rift off :thumbsup:

I only use racing titles and Elite Dangerous so I'm not affected too much with giving up non VR titles, except AMS, but I never really got on with the AI there anyway!

Upvote 0
VR defence force DEPLOY!
I've added my own personal opinions into your quote below.

It's uncomfortable
Badly adjusted maybe? I really don't notice I'm wearing it in the same way that I forget I'm wearing a helmet while biking.
Resolution is poor
Yes it is, but it's not something that I'm constantly aware of when lost in the moment. And stereoscopic 3D vision, proper object separation, freedom of view, heightened immersion, better sense of speed and scale, etc etc more than make up for this.
Wiring is horrendous and I don't mean light wires here, we're talking heavy wires that get in the way and take up all your usb.
The main weight of my cable is supported by my rig, but yeah - wireless would be great. My PC has plenty of USB ports, but I'd use a cheap hub if not.
I'm lucky in that I'm perfectly happy with 45/ASW. Everything on max, no tweaking required.
Fiddling for your keyboard and mouse and having to keep lifting the lense to check what you are pressing.
That's what Joy2key and steering wheel buttons are for.
Don't worry about 90fps!
Block those troublemakers!
I've never needed my glasses, but the prescription is mild.
It can get a little warm on a hot day, but fans are cheap to buy and cheap to run.
Steaming up constantly
Gently warm the lenses for a few seconds with a cheap hairdryer before putting the HMD on and this will never be a problem.
Talking as though your nose is blocked.
Your HMD fitment sounds wrong
Graphically not good enough give me pancake all day long with beautiful looking graphics and hey! I can see my beautiful wheel I paid a lot of money for.
I can see (and feel like I'm holding) beautiful supercar wheels, F1 wheels, vintage Mota-Litas...
I will expect a million disagree but I've been as honest as I can be and while it may be fantastic for you, it wasn't worth it for me personally.
To each their own! :)

:)

Upvote 0
VR is the cat's meow for simracing.
No other single item replicates the feeling of 'being there' as much as it does.
There is just one non-VR title I currently play, and it is simply because that title is too good to abandon...AMS.
As to it being uncomfortable...
If the headset is fitted correctly and the lens spacing adjusted properly, there are zero issues.
Heck! even SDE is drastically reduced if the other two are done correctly.
I am able to wear my Rift for hours at a time and see even the smallest digits on any of the virtual steering wheels in game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a DK2 and struggle getting 75fps mostly locked at 37.5fps playing RF2 and a 20 AI grid.
That's with a GTX1070 clocked at 1900mhz and I5 6600k clocked at 4.2.
Resolution in the distance is poor and text pixelated to make out dash details etc.
Immersion is fantastic however, but also attest to the lenses steaming up
Was thinking of upgrading to either a oculus or mixed reality but think my pc hardware will hold me back even more

Upvote 0
I have a DK2 and struggle getting 75fps mostly locked at 37.5fps playing RF2 and a 20 AI grid.
That's with a GTX1070 clocked at 1900mhz and I5 6600k clocked at 4.2.
Resolution in the distance is poor and text pixelated to make out dash details etc.
Immersion is fantastic however, but also attest to the lenses steaming up
Was thinking of upgrading to either a oculus or mixed reality but think my pc hardware will hold me back even more
Your PC is perfectly fine for running a Rift. A 1080Ti isn't essential :)

Upvote 0
QUOTE="jimortality,

I'm going against the majority here but I've owned 2 rifts and sold 2 rifts. I won't be buying anymore!

It's uncomfortable

I made a mod that lets the rift hang in front of my face, without touching my cheeks or nose.
Much more comfortable, but also about a 20-25% increase in FOV

Resolution is poor

Yes, but at 1,8 - 2,5 super sampling depending on the sim you still can get decent results

No problem, not even with motion

No problem, i almost use ASW all the time even with my 1080Ti

I can type while driving even if i'm not in VR

Never done it

I don't believe in finding extra fps

Don't need them ( YET)

WIND SIMULATOR, no problem and it adds a 4th dimension. Powerfull windsim is not possible when you are not running in VR. It one of the biggest immersion add-ons of the last couple of years.

Steaming up constantly

Not a problem

Talking as though your nose is blocked

Not with my modded rif

Driving on flat screens makes me feel like i'm driving miniature cars, they are so small on those monitors. Also with screens i feel like i'm playing a game in my room, in VR i'm in the car, looking into apexes, mirrores ect ect.

Definately worth it for me, if a title does not support VR, i'm not playing it anymore.

I bought a lot of other VR games, but never play them. There's nothing that as good as racing in VR with motion

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 51 34.5%