Voice to ACC chat in race: Solved (mostly)

Hey racers.
I had a lot of frustration (like may people I suspect) with the difficulty of using ACC chat in race. I tried a couple of approaches to use a voice driven solution; use CrewChief, use VoiceAttack. I couldn't get the recognition rate to be useable using those approaches. However I've found away to use Microsoft Speech, which works pretty well and has good recognition.

It needs multiple components: A button on wheel or KB triggers a VoiceAttack CMD which triggers Microsoft Speech which writes to the ACC chat window.

You need to have a headset mic or similar and install Microsoft Speech and VoiceAttack.

In VoiceAttack create a new profile for ACC chat.
In that profile create a single new command as follows (use your own button mapping, the trick is to use the same button to start the chat and to close it):

===============================================================
VoiceAttack Command Trigger (call it what you like)
When I press Joystick 3 Button 11 {...Press a button on my wheel to initiate the chat...}

VoiceAttack Command Detail
Press Enter key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release {...open the ACC Chat window...}
Press Left Win+H keys and hold for 0.1 seconds and release {...Starts Microsoft Dictation...}
Start Indefinite Loop {...This loop allows dictation to continue until the wheel button is pressed again...}
Begin Device State Check: Joystic 3 Button 11 Is Pressed
End Condition
End Loop
Press Enter key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release {...Send and close the ACC Chat window...}

===============================================================

I have found it really good. Recognition is good although for some reason it always thinks I've said RICE instead of RACE and it is not good with names, so you're kind of stuck with car numbers. Note that Microsoft Speech seems always to replace swear words with *****.

It does sometimes lose focus on ACC and gets confused; a bit of Alt-TAB'ing and pushing your Talk button a couple of times usually fixes it.

This does NOT work in VR. For some reason Microsoft Speech can't see the Chat box in VR, so the box opens and MS Speech starts but it can't find the target. If anyone has any tips on this let me know.

Hope you all find this useful.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea