Vitaly Petrov Eyes F1 Comeback

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
In an interview with Russian media, the 28 year old explained how he is determined to drive in the 2014 season, despite splitting with his manager last year.

174467200.jpg

Image: Rian

The 'Vyborg Rocket' as he is known, told Russian media on Sunday that he is planning to obtain a seat in the 2014 F1 season. Petrov has previously driven for Renault & Caterham. Petrov & former teammate Heikki Kovalainen were dropped from the Caterham lineup at the end of last season in place of Charles Pic and rookie Giedo van der Garde.

"Of course, I'll try to find some outlets for negotiations with different teams," he said "At first there was stress but now I'm more or less rested and set to work at looking for a place for 2014."

Petrov's manager, up until late last year, was Oksana Kosachenko. Kosachenko was appointed Commercial Director of Caterham F1 at the end of the 2012 season, and subsequently split with Petrov. Although the Russian driver was not signed to any team for the 2013 season, Kosachenko claimed that he had 'multiple options for 2013'. It is expected that Petrov was rooting for a seat at a more competitive team, however, he lost out to new rookie drivers - and ultimately lost his seat in the sport.

"I will sort out who works with me and for whom I'll be working next year. There will be some changes that I do not want to talk about it. In the near future it will become clearer" explained Petrov.

Vitaly was arguably responsible for Caterham's 10th place finish in the 2012 Constructors Championship, after he finished 11th at last season's finale. He passed Marussia's Charles Pic on lap 67, and secured Caterham both 10th place, and a small fortune in prize money. Despite this, both Petrov and his former teammate were ousted from the team and are both no longer competing in Formula 1.
View the Post on the Blog

The number 2 seat at Red Vettel Bull will most likely be available for him, if he wants to be Vettel's, Newey's, Horner's and Marko's "yes man, anything you say man".

But Petrov is known to be the hardest driver to overtake on track, that has to count for something, and he definitively is good enough for some of the higher tier teams. He is quite the talented fellow

If you are referring to that legendary 2010 Abu Dhabi race yes he was good there. But I wouldnt brand him as the hardest driver to overtake on track.

Neither is he very talented compared to other drivers in the current F1 field. Money talks and thats the only reason we will see him return to F1 in the future.

Petrov, sorry mate you are simply not good enough.

i think you're being a bit rough on him:) .....he had some good drives in his rookie year...remember Malasya,where he had Lewis Hamilton weaving all over the track in massive desparation to stay ahead? The fight with Alonso in Abu.He also outQ'ed Kubica once or twice that year as well. In 2011 managed a 3rd at the Australian GP and didnt do that bad during the season,conisdering Renault's form. In 2012 he was IMO the better driver during races,securing 10th for the team in the constructors and not to forget that he is also an excelent driver in the rain,even putting a couple of moves on the rain-master himself
So he is nowhere nearly as bad as his crashes suggest.The problem with Vitaly is that he is Russian...and it'll take a Russian GP before the world warms up to the idea..IMO

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.