• "Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell." - Peter Brock
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video editing/compressing free software suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Karl Fuss, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,368
    I have been using Movie Maker as editing and compressing software but i have lots of trouble with it. Most times it crashes while compressing and saving the edited video files. Sometimes i can re-edit and save without problems, but that takes so much time. My computer shouldn't have a problem, maybe it's the video files that are corrupt in some way, i don't know for sure....
    I use an external video recorder, upload the files to Movie Maker, edit, compress and save with about a 40% success rate. It is frustrating and time consuming.

I know a lot of people use Sony Vegas for editing but i cannot pay for it.
    I have been reading about "Lightworks" free software and may give that a try tonight.

Are there any other programs people here are using that are easy and crash free?

My computer:
    PS8300, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    XPS 8300XPS8300
    ProcessorsIntel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
    Memory8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
    Video CardAMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
    Hard Drive1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

2. Calum McLure

Calum McLure
    Did ye, aye?

Ratings:
    +2,892
    I'm in the same boat, downloaded Lightworks but haven't looked at it yet. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108
    Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen Premium

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm recording on a DVB television PCI card on my computer.
    Files are saved in ".ts" format; I use ProjectX for cutting and Auto Gordian Knot for encoding it (xvid or divx).
    What file format do you need?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,368

Hauppauge HVR1250 hybrid TV Tuner with Remote Control

I have this installed in my office computer but have never used it. (My knowledge base and comfort level with computers is limited). I think that allows me to use my computer as a PVR provided i have a digital cable box linked to it.
    Is there a way for me to utilize that to record my races from my xbox 360 directly? They are about 50 feet apart so long cords would be required.

I haven't hear of ProjectX but will look it up.
    The way i record now i get MP4 files and use Movie Maker to edit and compress. What ever file that outputs is what i load up on youtube. I've never looked at the file type.

5. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108

Ratings:
    +542
    Will check this and tell you tomorrow (hope I don't forget).
    Initially I thought we were talking about recording television lol.
    So this seems to be different.

6. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108

Ratings:
    +542
    @Karl Fuss Sorry for missing you. I will have a look tomorrow.:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  7. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108

Ratings:
    +542
    What I found is http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1250.htmlIf this is your product, then you are on cable TV and not satellite, right?
    The card itself works as a receiver, you won't need a box or anything similar, just a cable connected to your wall. Your computer will just work like a TV.

The files recorded are saved in .ts or mpeg; please test it, I am unsure, as I don't own this cars.
    Please have a look here: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324887-How-to-capture-ATSC-to-ts-file-with-WinTV-HVR-1250

TV records and ingame records are opposite things. I don't think it will work. It should, if you manage to asign one "TV channel" to your XBOX. No idea how to...
    The 1250 does have a S-VIDEO/Composite Video Input connector; XBOX 360 will have exits for TVs, so there should be an option. Length of the cable will only weaken the signal, but I don't think this will happen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vaughn Stegeman

Vaughn Stegeman

Ratings:
    +190
    Lightworks is good software, but it comes at it from a "traditional" video editing standpoint -- that is, it's like using physical editing gear.
    VirtualDub (free, GPL. here >> http://www.virtualdub.org/ ) doesn't edit, but it works GREAT for encoding.
    Blender3D has an okay video editor. Not high on features, but it's pretty fast and easy to use. (free open source. here >> http://blender.org ) It can edit and encode. .. PLUS it has fully integrated 3D and compositing features.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,368
    Thanx for the list, I'll check them out this weekend.
    I'm still having seemingly random issues with Movie Maker, but the last time i used it there was no problem at all. It's so frustrating....

10. FerrariMan96

FerrariMan96

Ratings:
    +134
    This only applies to compressing videos, but I've used Any Video Converter (link) for compressing videos and changing formats quite a lot and it works quite well, plus it's free.

RE free editing software, I can't help you from personal experience. There's this article (link) which recommends Lightworks too.

11. Tony Crabb

Tony Crabb

Ratings:
    +10