"Verstappen Rule" Dropped

Rule#07 only applies if rule #06 is contravened, thus implementing rule#09 paragraph 4 subsection 4.01, where it is said that if rule#019 is in force then rule#06 is overruled by the implementation of rule#010 subsection 8, paragraph 10, thus everything is overruled by a rule nobody understood in the first place. Happy racing fellas....What has become of F1

i dont recall any major issue other than verstappens move against kimi down kemmel straight. any sane person/non-fanboy could see why that move should be penalized. so, in theory at least, i like the idea of an ambiguous rule rather than a hardline approach. don't endanger someones life & you should be fine...

Indycar and other series allow one move in anticipation of an overtake. No second move to cover off the counter move by the trailing car. So if you think the bloke behind you is closing in you take a more inside line but then you will suffer on corner entry and exit. Blocking was never something I'd see in Jackie Stewart or Jim Clark days. Truth is, the drivers have little to no respect for their fellow driver. Period.

Blocking was never something I'd see in Jackie Stewart or Jim Clark days. Truth is, the drivers have little to no respect for their fellow driver. Period.
And that is simply because in the sixties and seventies any mistake could be fatal. But even then there were drivers who had no respect for their fellow drivers.

Isn't it a case of bringing in rules for the sake of it the rule about moving under braking seemed some what anti racing in reality surely the best rules allow the maximum flexibility and just enough control to prevent stupidity.

Michael Schumacher was one of the greatest drivers ever to grace a race track but he certainly wasn't squeeky clean.

I think we have to decide what we want from racing rules like those in Indy car seem sensible and just about adequate whilst not Charlie Whiting's biggest fan I think most often he and the team make the right calls it's a bit like referee's in football video replay and hindsight can make even the most thought out decisions seem retrospectively wrong.

I think where possible any driving infrigements need to be dealt with during the race and only those where the action is questionable or borderline investigated afterwards. However I do feel any retro active punishment needs to be applied where it can have a significant effect on the podium or points positions.

Much like a stewards enquiry in horse racing the result should be announced only after such investigations. However if in doubt the result should always be baised towards racing rather than anti racing.

The rules usually come about because a driver or team have crossed the line with what would be regarded as "sporting". Senna, Prost, Schumacher and others have all been the authors of rules brought in to control overly aggressive driving. Most drivers will tell you that there is another set of unwritten rules much like there are on our roads. Live to race or drive another day but I know that is hard in the heat of competition.

Not to be that guy but there are a couple of big mistakes in the OP.

It was not a controversial overtaking manouvre but a defending manouvre.

Vettel got penalised for the Verstappen rule in a battle with Ricciardo at Mexico not with Verstappen.

This was the move wich Vettel got a penalty for.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back