Vehicle Shadows above track

Shawdad

PSN ID: Shawdad
I have bridges across my track that when the cars pass under, the vehicle shadows appear on the bridge above. I know this is a common problem as I've seen it in other tracks. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this? I searched the forums but haven't stumbled on a good fix yet. I remember reading somewhere that raising the object higher above the track will fix this, but I really don't want to do this. If this question has already been answered on these forums, please direct me to the post. thanks!

You can remove the track under/on top off the bridge once you have finished AIW. What i would do is to make a new open ended track and merge it to the nodes of main track. Assign new material to the start and end of the bridge on the main road crossing it so that it overlaps the new track just a bit, then remove the material from the main track. Now you can assign different tags for the bridge crossing track and mark it to not receive a shadow. You won't be getting the shadow under the car when you actually cross that bridge (i'm assuming this is figure 8 track...If it isn't there no need for the road..) so your replacing one bug with another...

gMotor assumes that there is only one driveable surface on top of another at all times, the figure 8 then has issues but since 99% of tracks are basic open ended loops, the game can simplify a lot of calculations.

EDIT: Ok, i was a bit late..

I should have been more specific. They are foot bridges (for people) so there is no road above them. The shadow is coming from the cars driving under them. The cars will cast a shadow above them on the face and bottom of the bridges. Ive tried turning shadows off on them but strangely, they still appear. I've also tried giving the textures on the bridge an emissive color which works, but of course then headlights wont light them up. If I only planned on racing it in the daytime, I wouldn't care but I am building this track specifically for endurance day/night racing.

Hmm, that is strange. I've had no problems with foot/cable bridges, only with roads. But the same bug it is, no doubt says Joda. Have you looked at that section in 3DSimed? I owe a few 3dsimed favors back to community so i can look at it if you need.

I have no idea how to use 3DSimed. I downloaded the demo a while ago but it has long since expired. The bridges are made from the wall tool anyway.

Also I just started using the rumble strip tool (saw) and they don't seem to be working for me either. The cars act like they are driving over bowling balls! :mad: The A.I. cars anyway. I haven't tried driving over them myself yet...

Well both of these problems are solved now I think. My Lightwave 8 stopped working so I tried 3dMax again. Still hate it. Tried blender. I didn't really like that either. Then I finally got around to trying Sketchup. Love It!! so ill be building my footbridges with Sketchup I think, which should solve my shadow problems (Ive already done a test.) Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Su has wonderful interface, none can beat it's simplicity. It's a good tool for preliminary sketches of more complicated models too and since it exports nicely to familiar formats, perfect for our purposes. I'm trying to learn Blender now, there are limitations in SU, for ex UV mapping is a bitch and poor normal controls (there is a way of defining normals but is extremely rickety chain of operations where one false move can ruin everything... So at some point there is a need for heavier application. For tracks i haven't yet met an object i couldn't realize in SU... Sorry for off topic...

EDIT: Forgot to add one important piece of info for SU/BTB users: do NOT use the inbuilt textures!! Sketchup uses quite expensive style when painting stuff, it tends to create a new material each time you use different paint parameters. You will not see anything wrong, all blacks triangles are the same black but in actuality, you can get a new texture and each time you click paint! You'll end up with hundreds of materials if you're not careful.

What i do: i have a simple collection of basic colors 32x32px PNG that i use when sketching (32x32 is the minimum image size, BTW). Later you can replace them with the real ones. Also at some point you need to paint every single material again using Shift modifier. SU has a tendency to create new materials when you do changes in the UV mapping (how you position the texture..), painting every face that has the current material again fixes that. The worst thing is that those copies are not in the right dimensions so you'll get unexplained crashes later...

How to make sure you don't got conflicting copies of materials: When you export with SU6 you get a face count and material counts (why did they remove that info screen in the more recent versionsi can't understand..), if the material count is larger than what the amount of materials used (the SU exports one or two additional materials that you can delete in XPacker, FrontColor and FrontgroundColor, they are useless trash...) then you have a problem... Check them in the XPacker too. If you got duplicates you got two options. Either merge them in XPacker (if they are identical files, not when they are SU created copies, they are cropped and scaled, sometimes rotated, easy to see the difference) or do a new export. Before you export, paint every material again using Shift to make all faces that uses that texture to use the exactly the same source and at the same time, one single material. We need to restrict our material counts heavily in our projects anyway so no room for duplicates.

If XPacker complains when you are deleting FrontColor and/or Foreground color, you can merge either of them to any material used in the project. Those textures are not suppose to be in the model. FrontColor (and BackColor) are the texture SU uses as default when creating new faces. ForegroundColor is something similar, it never shows itself in BTB or ingame, it's unused in the final model.

Merging a material in XPacker is easy, copy the path of a material that you wish to remain, paste it to a material you wan't to merge and click save material. This also works on complete objects, if you have two objects that uses the same materials, you can merge their materials the same way... It doesn't matter if they both uses the same number of materials, the missing materials will be copied to the new path.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: I definitely prefer to create my own textures from scratch, using photographic elements as much as possible.

My model does indeed work if I uncheck Shadow receiver, but unfortunately, I noticed it also does not receive its own shadow (the underside of the bridge and the inside walls) it looks very odd. Is it normal to have to uncheck shadow receiver? I should note that I am using mostly SU materials here just temporarily while I figure out this shadow problem. I am also exporting .3ds as .dae is causing my x-packer to crash when I try to import it.

You need to use SU6 if you want to export as DAE, newer versions have a newer version of collada format which XPacker can't understand. I have never gotten 3DS to work but DAEs from SU6 work everytime.. Usually everything that is not receiving a shadow will be marked as such ;) But shadows are the most bugging feature of them all, you need to make compromises, i'm afraid... If we would have no time-of-date we could use stationary shadows painted directly to textures...

Just today i was doing a bunch of objects for the upcoming arcade project, one of the grandstands suddenly had 254 materials, where the actual number was 4... I had accidentally used one of the default materials, hasn't happened in ages ;) I have a few templates stored with ready materials, too bad sketchup doesn't support templates so i have to use regular empty workspace with some basic materials like road, grass etc slready set...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back