V-Sync or FPS limiter ??

I usually use in game fps limiter to limit game's fps to 60 which match my lcd monitor but i notice screen tear a little bit here & there lately; The problem gone with V sync ON but i heard that cause input lag ..

So any better suggestion ?? i5 4460 + R9 270x here.

Thanks first

As weird as it might sound - Both.
You need both, frame cap and VSync in AC.
My best setting after 1.2.4 update is 61 fps cap (monitor refresh +1) and Adaptive VSync in NVidia control panel. Tried all other possible combinations, VSync off, frame cap equal refresh rate, frame cap not equal 1, 1.2x, etc, see sticky. None produced better result than cap + Vsync.
Yeah quite weird i must say. In my case V sync is already good enough without any tearing at all but i just worry if i getting input lag ..

Anyway i will try using fps limiter again but different fps to see if i get something good.
If i cant found any good fps without tearing then just ON the V sync and thats it :p

is the new driver side frame limiter in catalyst of any use compared to these 3rd party apps or game settings ?
Probably does exactly the same as the 3rd party apps I should imagine. My general rule is to use in game settings where possible, and 3rd party apps when the in game option doesn't work/exist. Other than that give both a try and report back.

Last edited:
V-Sync and FPS limiter just give me problems like tearing so I don't use them at all !

It's now butter smooth.

I also found out that many 3'rd party apps causes graphical issues so I deleted all except RSR.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are given so many choices in PC gaming it's remarkable. The difference in hardware from pc to pc, and peoples subjective opinions means that for any given situation YMMV on any suggestion from the community.
p. s. @Mikaela, no need to shout, you are hurting my ears ;)

V-Sync should avoid tearing as each new frame will be shown in sync to the monitor refresh frequency, no matter what fps you are getting from the software.

Have you tried forcing V-Sync from the Nvidia Control Panel ? Also, I have started playing with Adaptive V-Sync (NVIDIA only) which seems to work very well for me.

Much mentioned about v-sync and possible tearing. What about stuttering, do any of these settings affect/address this?
Well I avoided using Vsync on this title due to the potential for input lag, but decided to use frame limiter instead because I was getting the situation where my cards (2x Nvidia 460) were churning out around 120 fps in ideal situations (cards running at close to 100%) and then when something came along a bit more graphically demanding, lika a few more cars or a stadium section (nuremburgring was one) then the frames could more than half to around 50-60, now the massive slow down was more than noticable and caused it to look like a slide show for a second or two, completely immersion breaking. Using the frame limiter helped my two cards run cooler in ideal situations 60% instead of 100% and when the more demanding situations came along they had the headroom to cope. So the short answer to your question is yes frame limiter can help stuttering in certain cases, it just depends on the circumstance. My advice is to find a combination of GFX settings and a frame cap limit such that your card(s) can consistantly deliver the frame rate to the set limit. i.e. if you chose 90 for example lower your gfx settings so that your card will always hit 90 fps without fail. You will find a much smoother experience if you do, try it and see if it helps you.
For those that say no frame cap is the way forward, good for you that you don't have to worry about it, I would guess your cards are quite high end, but remember just because it works for you it doesn't mean it's right for everone. After all if everyones hardware, needs, and perception were the same there would be no need for a GFX settings menu in every PC game.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%