USF 2000 Released for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 USF 2000 4.png

Studio 397 have released their first new content since taking over the development reigns with rFactor 2, today releasing the USF2000 open wheeler complete with all the teams and drivers from the 2016 season.

Built and tested in conjunction with a number of real world teams and drivers from across the pond, the USF2000 has already been hailed as one of the best pieces of first party content to be released for the sim. With 2016 marking the end of the current USF2000 regulations, Studio 397 have already confirmed they have secured the rights to develop the new for 2017 car, due to be released at some stage during 2017.

The USF200 is powered by a 170hp Mazda MZE 2 litre 4 cylinder DOHC engine, capable of reaching up to 150 mph and mated to the Van Diemen/Elan DP08 chassis. Added to rFactor 2 in two classes: the Championship class with a 5 speed sequential gearbox, and the slightly lower tier National class, with two transmission choices – the 5 speed (same as in the Championship class, but with a 50 lb weight penalty) and an older, 4 speed H-shifter variant available with three different final ratios.

Similar in laptime to the European Formula Three series, the Cooper Tyres USF2000 championship is an early rung up the ladder for American based drivers looking to make an impression in the road to the IndyCar series. Studio 397 described the new vehicle as "an excellent entry-level low-downforce car. It’s grippy, yet nimble. While it can be tail happy at times, it remains catchable and is always rewarding to throw around. We’ve enjoyed some very close, smile-on-your-face, wheel-to-wheel racing testing out the limits of the USF2000. Daring overtakes and massive trail braking really show off it’s capabilities".

rFactor 2 USF 2000 2.png

rFactor 2 is a PC only racing simulation developed by Image Space Incorporated and latterly Studio 397. The game is available to purchase now on the Steam Network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to take part in some of the best League and Club Racing events on the internet. Interact with our vibrant rFactor community in our dedicated rFactor 2 sub forum, download mods for the game or share a setup or two for your favourite cars.

rFactor 2 USF 2000 3.png rFactor 2 USF 2000.png

Have you tried the USF2000 yet? What do you think of the new content? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Is there a way to adjust the view from above the cockpit/helmet, some games like F1 2016 call it TV Pod view. I'd like something simular to the F1 2016 view where it's showing the top of the drivers helmet shaking/vibrating. I know I can use free-camera view but I can't save (that I know if).

I've got no sound.
The car does feel good.
It doesn't have the 'wooden-wheel' tendencies for the first few laps, like some of the past models.
It's good right out of the box as most race cars are... even those without tire blankets.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Regarding rF2, personally I'd been increasingly having trouble staying interested in a product that the developers appeared to have trouble staying interested in. The Studio 397 announcement seemed a promising development but I wasn't prepared to commit to any real enthusiasm until I'd seen something pushed out the door by the devs. Well I fired up the USF2000 last night and you can consider me enthused again!

To me the USF2000 represents all that's good about rF2 when it comes together properly. The cars look absolutely brilliant, sound great, and most importantly just feel fantastic to drive with a default setup. The tyres actually grip the bloody road surface, the FFB is sublime, and the car is both lively and easy to correct when it plays up. I can imagine beginners and aliens alike getting a huge blast out of this. I don't know if it's a design decision by S397 but I truly hope the USF2000 represents a new direction away from "the car feels like it has solid rubber tyres, no caster, understeers and skates unenjoyably around the track therefore must be realistic". I wonder how many people were put off by the horrific default Skip Barber or 370z experience when trying to ease themselves into rF2 in a low powered openwheel or tin top respectively.

If the USF2000 represents the quality of work from S397 moving forward, then perhaps rF2 has a meaningful future after all.

Car has instantly become my go to quick race car, much like tpw puts it above the default setup is just really raceable out of the box.

Looking forward to seeing how it'll look in DX11. :)

Regarding rF2, personally I'd been increasingly having trouble staying interested in a product that the developers appeared to have trouble staying interested in.
I've felt this way for two years. DirectX 11 and a nice clean modern UI with everything spruced up to the same quality level is what I want. Getting in rF2 today feels like going into an old barn to find that old bicycle you still want to ride once in a while. And yes, I need to go to bed.

Reactions: tpw
Finally had some time to load up rF2 and the USF2000 and try it out...after a few laps I thought...'Have I accidently loaded up Automobilista by mistake, the USF2000 feels familiar'...lol...keep up the great work Studio 397...and looking forward to the future.

Default set-up and fuel, what lap times can people get at Portugal (GT), Lime Rock (no chicane), or Palm Beach? As usual, there seems to be inconsistency with the AI, or just me! Some tracks I can keep up with the AI pretty easily during a practice session and others not a chance. Hence I am wondering what some human times are to see if it's me or the AI who need the adjustment :)

I just did a 1:39.9 at Portugal in practice. 1 AI car was 1 second quicker, and the rest (10 others) were over 1 second slower, so I think "inconsistency" is a fair way to describe it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back