USB Ports

Is there any reason to not use the on board USB ports on my monitors for all my peripherals?

Ive always had everything plugged directly into my MB. This leaves 12 USB ports available on the monitors.

Ideally, I want all my peripherals plugged into my monitors and my shakeit/wind stuff plugged into the PC. Does that sound OK?

The main purpose of this is simply to clean up all the wires and keep them hidden.

Last edited:
The monitors are basically just USB hubs. Maybe even getting power from the monitor too.
The only issue might be "USB Endpoints".
Simply try it. If it works, it works. If you have drop-outs or weird issues, you don't have enough endpoints.

It's mainly an Intel issue. If you have an AMD motherboard, the chance is higher that it will work fine.

I’ve found with some peripherals that can draw a bit of power I was better off with m/b USB, especially with some larger Vocore screens requiring active USB cables also. For these scenarios I find it easiest to just use an external powered USB hub for a whole host of devices that just need simple power and when not concerned with latency.

Ok thanks for the info. It seems to be working ok when the plugs are left untouched. However, when I touch the plugs, they disconnect then reconnect. Seems even getting in and out of the rig causes the disconnect/reconnect... Wooden rig also.

I now remember having this same issue when I had only one monitor. Now it happens on all three. Changing USB ports on the PC makes no difference.

Seems like electrical issues. Are your monitors in the same wall-plug as the PC, Wheelbase etc?
If not, there might be a ground loop problem.
Or it's just EMI.

Cheap monitor cables can show similar issues in the form of short black screens, when touching something or getting in/out of the rig, mostly with Aluminium rigs though.
In a wooden rig, you're probably electrically isolated from the rig etc, which has a common ground.
When you touch something, you join the common ground and send some voltage.
In theory, you could ground yourself by adding a ground cable to your seat cushion or something like that.
Another solution, to also fight the EMI, might be to put ferrite clip-cores on every usb cable on both ends.
I had an issue of random brake jitter and a disconnecting button plate.
Put ferrite clips (40 pieces, 3 different sizes, 13€) on both ends of all the cables and put the button plate in a USB 2.0 extension+port.

No issues since then.
USB 2.0 has a lower signal frequency and only 4 pins/lanes. So way less sensitive to things like a "noisy" DD motor.

Last edited:
Just some things I purchased towards my own build and sharing with regards USB devices but also power connections and switching.

These are popular within the industrial/pro audio community for studios/labs that connect lots of USB devices and need reliable connection/power.

Have one in my rack, but could be installed within a rig frame. Perhaps worth considering combining one with good cables like Lindy or other reputable brands.

Another consideration, but one that few may add to a sim rig?
Adding a quality power conditioner unit with individually controlled power switching.

I bought 2x Penn Elcom (different versions for various countries avail) with 10x power outlets each. I may install one within the rig frame for sim appliances.

Also have another Lambden Audio CP9 unit with front facing plug connection and pull out lights that is useful for my various audio/rack equipment.

Last edited:
My experience (my own and through customer service work) is completely the opposite of that.
Can you go a bit more into detail?
My post was a bit inaccurate:
I didn't want to say, that AMD won't have USB issues (x570 sends its regards..).
I only wanted to say, that the endpoint stuff is different to Intel, so that specific issue of not having enough endpoints isn't really a thing with AMD, since the number is way higher.
Sadly I don't really know more details about this, it's only what I've read about it.

The main issue is that the oculus rift sensors take almost all available endpoints of one controller on Intel systems so you run into issues if you get both sensors or the rift on the same controller.
Since not every usb port is connected to a separate controller, it's quite likely to get issues.

Can you go a bit more into detail?
I've dealt with 15 or so simrigs in the last couple of years that had varying issues with USB devices. EMI (at the ports), endpoints, inconsistent power delivery etc. Only 2 of those were Intel systems, all the other ones were AMD. Though I will admit, some of them had some really cheap motherboards.
The sample size is of course too small to draw any real conclusions, but I'd say it is big enough that it can't be a coincidence.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.