Upgrade from G27

Hi guys, im just wondering if there is anything out there that would be a nice upgrade from my G27?
Id rather not spend a fortune but all im hearing lately is direct drive wheels are amazing, do i really need to go that route ?
Suggestions appreciated.

I have a G27 too and I am very happy with it but there are things I would want to be better (rattling, deadzone, slow turning speed, more precise pedals, feeling of the single cogs of the gears in the motor while holding a turn etc.).
I have an old Thrustmaster wheel which isn't really comparable but it was belt driven and a lot smoother and more quiet. In my opinion even a TX-PC would be a nice upgrade, but not worth the money in comparison.
The Fanatecs seem to be very good too. They are like the highest step before going direct drive but I read much about that they are "toys" when compared to a DD wheel.
In the end you have a few options:
Thrustmaster TX: good upgrade, but not a HUGE difference
Fanatec: really good upgrade, but also expensive
Accuforce: simple and complete package, very expensive, top DD wheel, but slightly worse FFB (some people say you feel the cogs in some situations) than OSW.
OSW: around the same price as Accuforce, better FFB, fully customizable, but less "put it on and go racing".

What I would recommend: You can buy all these wheels without pedals and the G27 pedals are not THAT good. I modded my pedals with sponges and that's already a big difference for brake control. Good pedals are really making a difference!
So I would recommend to first buy a really good set of pedals, look how much you can and want to spend for them and feel the first step to "high end" and then decide for the wheel.
If you buy one of those expensive wheels you will need to buy good pedals anyway :)

I can also recommend to watch this video (careful, loud music!): LINK (youtube, pro drift, Assetto Corsa Nordschleife)
Look at how responsive that OSW is! When he lets go of the wheel it just spins instantaneous and when he grabs it, it gives so many little details. BUT: his footwork is amazing too!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The premium Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels will be a huge step up from the G27. Sure an OSW is the best of the best, I have a Bodnar direct drive wheel it's amazing. Just make a sensible decision based on how much sim racing you do. An OSW needs a good stable platform due to the powerful forces it generates. So an investment into OSW territory may go way beyond just the wheel itself, you may need a new cockpit to mount it on. You'll have no buttons or paddles, so add another £200-800 for a wheel rim and buttons/paddles. Chances are you'll then start looking at better pedals to go with the amazing wheel. And transducers for that all over ffb feeling. It's easy to rack up costs when getting serious about sim racing.

It's certainly more for you coming off the back of a G27, anybody already invested in the premium belt driven setup will mostly likely have other gear they can reuse alongside the OSW.

Upvote 0
IMHO - Thrustmaster is the next tier up from Logitech, namely the T300 model (if playing on PC and / or PS3/4) or TX if on Xbox One. The FFB is stronger, smoother yet still detailed, and apart from fan noise it's comparatively very quiet from Logitechs offerings. For myself, going from my G25 to T300 Alcantara was a very significant and worthy upgrade.

Fanatec offer mid-tier wheels such as CSL Elite which are direct competition to the aforementioned T300/TX range. Never used one so couldn't say what they're like, but from what I've read about them they'd be a worthy upgrade alternative.

Next tier will be Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer or Fanatec CSW v2/2.5 - these offer even stonger FFB potential and / or better definition of FFB, but this is where things start getting real pricey.

When considering wheel upgrades I feel it wise to also consider future pedals upgrades. The standard TM pedals are crap though (only two pedals and an apparently rubbish feel to them) and even the better T3PA pedals aren't an upgrade from the standard Logitech pedals. Until I bought my Fanatec CSR Elite pedals I ignored my T3PAs and stuck with my GTEYE modded G25 pedals and used a Thrustmaster pedal adaptor so I could plug the pedals directly into the wheel. That said, I'd ideally never want to go back to non-loadcell brakes now - the potentiometer pedals although functional don't offer the accuracy and realism of loadcells.

I'd also consider which shifter you'll want to move to too. Thrustmasters TH8A is functional yet flawed whereas Fanatecs SQ v1.5 is significantly better but twice the price.

Personally speaking, I definitely would like the Fanatec shifter so would like to match the set with the CSW v2/2.5 wheel, hence my suggestion of thinking ahead. However if funds are tight then Thrustmaster are a better valued alternative.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot guys.
After a small bit of research the following are tempting.
Maybe i could drop the CSL elite pedals and use either my G25 or G27 pedals , i have both.

CSL Elite Wheel Base,CSL Steering Wheel P1 and CSL Elite Pedals together for €499

T300RS GT edition,T3PA pedals for around €400

Upvote 0
if i were you id go fanatec if upgrading, thrustmaster stuff feels poorly made to me, their build qualities don't match up with the prices they ask for, i mean i got a g29 and it really shows up the thrustmasters in the build quality department

Upvote 0
I know it will take time until you get your "Upgrade" but can you please post your new experience here after you got familiar with the new hardware? I am very interested, no matter what it will be :)

Upvote 0
For myself, going from my G25 to T300 Alcantara was a very significant and worthy upgrade.

even the better T3PA pedals aren't an upgrade from the standard Logitech pedals

Same experience for me since a month ago more or less and I totally agree with you in both sentences.
Next week I'm going to connect G25 pedals to a Teensy board and use them, I don't like T3PA.
Next step for sure will be a set of pedals, maybe Fanatec v3, CSL Elite LC...HE are much money for me right now.

Upvote 0
I know it will take time until you get your "Upgrade" but can you please post your new experience here after you got familiar with the new hardware? I am very interested, no matter what it will be :)

Will do if i make a move, its all very expensive and my G27 is still working so part of me says hold a bit longer.

If i was to get a T300RS my G27 and spare g25 pedals i have will work?

Upvote 0
I am kind of in the same situation:
I have G27 with spring modded brake pedal. It is good and solid. The rim is good and the leather is still as new and I drive without gloves. I guess leather is more durable than alcantara which in turn provides more grip. I can use the pedals with USB cable too. It is mounted on Wheel Stand Pro.
But I itch to upgrade and I have the following alternatives locally:
Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE | PC, PS3, PS4 - 352 eur
Thrustmaster T300RS | PS3, PS4, PC - 352 eur
T300 Ferrari Integral Alcantara Edition | PS4, PS3, PC – 480 eur
Thrustmaster VG TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition Premium | XBOXONE, PC – 480 eur

Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | PC – 562 eur
First two come with 2 pedals, second two - with 3 pedals.
Which one do I choose?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back