Tyre temperatures

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
I get the feeling there may not be a precise answer to this, but here goes.

The setup guide recommends tyre temps of 90-110 deg. Should I put air in to increase the temp, or take it out? And how many....whatsits...equal 1psi?

I am trying to understand how setups work, lets just say I'm a little, um, special, and need extra help ;)

Wow. A lot of good information in this thread. Thanks a lot:)

I started working with different pressures today. The behavior of the car changed markedly and I was able to cut 1s through the session. Felt like the sidewalls softened and the tire sucked to the ground. There is even more to come, as the temperature profile is a little off and somewhat high.

I have question on tire size. For a racecar it should be ideal with the widest tyre as long as it gets up to the right temperature?
Lets say the rear temperatures are too low and suspension changes can't heat them more, like the situation posted here earlier. Would it be advisable to go down a tire-size maybe?

IRL that would probably be a viable option, although it is certainly not prefered to the wider tire at higher temps. Each driver would need to find the balance for them. Unfortunately its not an option in Evo so we have to make do with changing the setup for the best comprimise.

Softer tyres would be the realistic way forward probably ... try sticking a wet tyre on a dry setup and see how hot they get in just half a lap or so.

Other thing to watch out for when running "changeable" weather conditions is the dramatic difference in track and air temps between sessions.
Sometimes you get a cool track temp in practice, about 5 or more degrees C temp increase in quali, then it drops down again for the race.

You also need to run 5 or more laps IMO at race not quali pace, and with realistic fuel loads to have any idea what the temps are really going to be.

Softer tyres would be the realistic way forward probably ... try sticking a wet tyre on a dry setup and see how hot they get in just half a lap or so.

Other thing to watch out for when running "changeable" weather conditions is the dramatic difference in track and air temps between sessions.
Sometimes you get a cool track temp in practice, about 5 or more degrees C temp increase in quali, then it drops down again for the race.

You also need to run 5 or more laps IMO at race not quali pace, and with realistic fuel loads to have any idea what the temps are really going to be.

ah, of course:good:

I've noticed there is more and more grip going from practice1 to qualy. I didn't even check the track temperature, just looked at the tires...

I agree with the 5 laps. I've tried "overdriving" the car for 2-3 laps to heat them faster and then settle the pace, but it it still took 5 laps to get consistent readings

Overdriving or and heating the tyres too quickly does you no good ... you lose performance in the tyres quicker doing this so do not get a good reading nor feeling for what they will be like in a race.
I believe I have read it before and defo noticed myself that warming new tyres nice and steadily, as in real life, will produce more grip from them in the long run.

OK, thats what iv'e been doing since I found out it didn't help. I guess there will be degredation of the rubber, to permanently lower the friction potential of the tyre when overdriving the car. Is the graining included in tyre models of GTRevo?

:help: please Neil ... he said something, not sure what, the words are all English but it all sounded a bit too technical for the likes of me :laugh:

Ohhh my brain begins to hurt when I start reading some of that stuff :sleep: ... basic summary of what I did read tho brings me to the following conclusion:
cook em = kill tyre life and grip
look after em = :) :rabbit:
awesome summary
7.gif

• SimbinRacer

Amounts of corners would impact tiretemps and therefore tire pressure. But track temps should also be an issue for pressure adjustments. Only that every track, every session I've ever been on has had 27 degrees track temp. What is the point in having that if it never changes?

I also get faster laps out of qualifying session than practice session with the same settings and that has been suggested due to track temps, but there is no difference in track temps according to session info. And why is time trial pressure constant at 200kPa? Is that the most optimal pressure to aim for at all times for some reason?

• SimbinRacer

Problem is there is no way to tell tire load unless perhaps if one uses that telemetry add-on I've read about. It doesn't take alot of increased pressure on all the constant 27 degrees tracks to acheive proper heat distribution on the tires (8-10 deg higher on inside compared to outside and middle in between). Yet Simbin "offers" 200kPa in time trial for some reason.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.