Twin Sims... The Build

To avoid eye strain I don't have it too dark when Simdriving.
Actually more light than whatching TV.

Rig feet "tucked in" is not a stability problem for me, collision with pedalplate could be.

Progress...
  • Legs on monitor mount widened.
  • 2nd monitor mount assembled.
  • Rough placement determined.
  • Waaaaay to much time spent getting the 1st side monitor adjusted to 58 degrees
Both mounts have center monitor fully installed.
Left monitor mount on left rig is locked in. The other three monitors need to be adjusted but now that I know what I am doing... should be easier. Holding off until I am sure 58 degrees is where I want to be.

1000007057.jpg

1000007054.jpg

1000007055.jpg

1000007056.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007055.jpg
    1000007055.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 6
So quick update as my "build week" begins. Thankful to have such a huge start on this project prior to today. I now have 7 days off work but lots of projects seem to have slipped into this week.

So, this is where I am. Monitors still not perfectly aligned but need to move on.

Screenshot_20240427_081622_Gallery  start.jpg

Rig 1 needs:
  • Pedals installed.
  • Pedal plate adjustment (lower)
  • Computer
  • keyboard tray
  • mousepad
  • cup holder.
  • Power/wiring
  • Feet tightened.
  • Montors further adjusted and some type of black out between screens.
  • Sound solution.
  • Sim floor installed (through not sure I will be using. Seems to be easier to get in and out without.)
  • cable management solution.
  • Possibly a floor mat. Sim Lab mat has been out of stock forever. Probably would hold off on install until down the road when making less changes. Easy to slide in and out now.
  • Software
  • Basic tactile on the seat.
rig 1.jpg

Rig 2 needs to be assembled from scratch.

Since the Sim Shelf will not fit on the side of the rig where I was planning, I have attached them to the back of the monitor stands. This will make cable runs easier anyway.

Before

Screenshot_20240427_080224_Gallery no tray.jpg

Shelf installed.

Screenshot_20240427_080258_Gallery tray.jpg

Oh, and still need to run other end of new power source to house panel and the network lines up to the den.

This is where I ended up with monitor alignment.

1714221308493.png

Time to get to it...

Last edited:
A youtuber uses Gaffa tape for blacking out the screen gaps, but I don´t like the long time repercussions of that idea as the tape deteriorates and leaves glue residue. I´m not bothered by this because it´s dark behing my monitor gaps, but I´d use cardboard strips fastened with small strips of a high quality tape that "comes off" without residue.

As for cable mangement, I use bolt in fasteners with cable ties or narrow velcro on places I often change things like behind the wheel upright where a lot of cables come togehter in USB hubs.
The joys of having too many devices on your rig.

"PING!!!!"

LOL

Although the weather forecast for the week predicted rain every day except one this week... It has been beautiful nearly every day. Outdoor, spring projects have therefore been consuming a majority of my time. I was able to get down there yesterday despite the sun shining and get the majority of assembly complete.

I do not yet have the keyboard or mouse tray installed and the keyboards these PCs came with are wired so will need to shop around for a wireless replacement.

I also did not do ANY wire management yet so no comments on the wiring... I ran the network lines up to the router in the den. As I was finishing the new electrical run, I realized I didn't have the breaker to install in the box, so I will need to grab that today.

Screenshot_20240502_072306_Gallery both.jpg

Screenshot_20240502_072312_Gallery triple.jpg

Late last night I was powering up the first rig for the first time. These PC's are massive!!! 10.75 inches wide... which is EXACTLY how wide the shelves are...

Screenshot_20240502_073424_Gallery monitor 1.jpg

Screenshot_20240502_073608_Gallery monitor 2.jpg

Screenshot_20240502_073708_Gallery monitor 3.jpg

Pedal install was extremely time consuming and placement on the pedal plate was with no particular spacing. I figure the gas and brake will possibly need to go closer together, but they are on there for now.

The brake has far less travel than I expected out the of the box but realized there are several adjustment and parts that came with it to adjust if necessary.

Screenshot_20240502_072300_Gallery pedals.jpg

Did not download anything from my previous PC and just went with a clean install. Going to try to keep the amount of crap on these PCs limited.

Need to find something to download to try these out. I have read that Assetto Corsa may be a good place to start.

Both my daughters (recent college graduate and High Schooler) are familiar with multiple screen use, but I have no experience. I have to dig around in the setting a bit to figure it out. Thankfully, before powering up the PC for the first time, I had everything hooked up, so the PC recognized everything correctly. I have yet to power up the wheelbase.

Sun is shining again... (#%$#$) so progress may be delayed again...

I have a concrete leveling company coming today as well to do their magic on my driveway so that will be a bit of a distraction as well.

P.S. May have to go back and install some type of mat under the rigs as I notice they slide on the floor fairly easily when you are getting in/out of the rig. That will wait until I am better set up.

Received loud and clear. :cool:

I get the weather part, it´s actually quite nice here in Germany, too.

I also concurre with Asseto Corsa classic as first Sim, but do yourself a favor and start with Content Manager as launcher.
It´s a bit to configure, but makes live way easier afterwards. Even I (mechanically gifted old fart) got into it and can use it now to make AC easy and looking way better than the origanl AC launcher( which is snooze slow by the way.) If I´m informed correctly you can also configure and transfer presets for almost everything which would make setting up the second PC a breeze.

And most important of all, AC c has the most content with tracks and cars overall, most of them free mods, so you´ll find something for every of your guest and won´t do another:

GT3 in Spa.PNG

Last edited:
Addendum:

you might want to have a "sideways sliding mount" for your brake pedal, as in close to the accelerator for manual/HeelnToe cars and more over to left for sequential/leftfootbraking cars.

The way your pedals are mounted you´d just need two steel or aluminium bars with M5 threads in the distance of the mounting bolts of the brake pedal. These bars would old themselfs in place when you loosen or tighten the mounting bolts from above. (or maybe even just one plate with four threads).

So tried to purchase another copy of Assetto Corsa but instead ended up with one copy on the 2 PCs and is only controlled by one, and displays on both sets of screens....

1000007177.jpg

So,

who won the inaugural race?

Also, if you want to"just hoon around" research "freeroams"

Just like they sound, a map you can drive freely on.

I'm at work now, when I'm home I'll compile a list.

Of course others may chime in, for example I never tried Shotuko.

And from memory

1. L.A. Canyons
2. Union Island

I don't know if Glen Shiel is still publically available...

Last edited:
Some of my favorate tracks to explore
(most of them downloadable here on race Department):

Ahvenisto
Bridgehampton
Calabogie
Mexico Grand Premio 1967
Pikes Peak
Silver City Raceway
Targa Florio 73
( probably more for a "leasurely drive" to learn it wll enough for a race would be tough, its more than 70KM ( a metric sh..ton of miles)

all FatAlfie tracks:
Battenbergring
Bremgarten
Deutschlandring
Feldbergring
Fonteny
Thomson Road (least favorate)

Free Roams:

L.A. Canyons
Mullholland Drive
Pacific Coast Highway
Union Island