Trouble installing Win 7 on SSD

Chris Butcher

Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion
Hey guys, I wondered if anyone had come across a similar issue.

Vista installed fine, then I came to install Windows 7 (I only have an upgrade key, hence the vista installation). It gets to approx 80% on the expanding features section, then an error message saying (can't remember the exact wording) that some files are missing or corrupt. I've tried a friends Windows 7 disc also but same thing happens. It's probably worth noting that it isn't always at 80% but somewhere near there.

Yes I believe it is. I read something online about the amount of RAM perhaps being an issue. I have 8GB of DDR3, and I knocked it back to 4GB and the install seemed to get a little further, but not by much.

That's pretty weird. I've installed Win7 Pro 64 from scratch (OEM DVD) and it installed perfectly fine on a brand new 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM. Could it be that the RAM is faulty or the disc damaged?

Because you were able to install Vista fine, it would suggest that there is an issue with the Win7 disk. It may be a smudge or scratch on the disk that is causing this. Start off by cleaning the side that doesn't have the label with rubbing alcohol and try again. If that doesn't help, try and use a furniture polish on the non label side and see if that helps. Post back if either of those suggestions makes a difference.

Tried an OEM disc that work let me use. Got a bit further with that, install completed, PC restarts upon completion and applies some updates, then i get a bluescreen "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I tried a different hard drive to install to and it did the same thing, so I am beginning to think it could be RAM or board related

Just a few thoughts mate....

Have you tried a different Rom drive or installing from your friends disc with his activation code?

Another thing that may be helpfull is to reset the motherboard bios and fully wipe the hard drives (back to zero) if your doing a full brand new installation.

If you have a online purchased upgrade key from microsoft, you can download the iso and burn it (only burn it at max 2x though) (as some files can become corrupted with faster burns) or you can run the iso from a usb memory stick.

In general if you are running an upgrade from vista to win 7 it is best to do a re-install of vista first then do a fresh upgrade into win7.
Copying new onto old can become problematic when you have a lot of files cross referencing all over your computer.

All these issues are from a clean install as I only just purchased the SSD. The key I purchased is retail so I don't believe I can use the iso you mention above.

Weirdly in my BIOS I can't see anywhere to reset to defaults, but I will try and download the latest version from the Asus website and see how I go with that. Something else that I uncovered is that it is possibly graphics drivers causing the issue. I haven't actually tried booting in safe mode yet so I may look into that as an option and see if it is the graphics drivers

Tried an OEM disc that work let me use. Got a bit further with that, install completed, PC restarts upon completion and applies some updates, then i get a bluescreen "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I tried a different hard drive to install to and it did the same thing, so I am beginning to think it could be RAM or board related

Just read your post...
get/borrow or download a SuSE linux disc and run the Memory test, that will give you the answer if its ram related or not.

Your in Leeds yeah?
I am in Bradford, I can bring my discs and have a look for you if you want mate, I have win 7 32bit and 64 bit both on perfectly clean and original working discs.
I sure it will be something or nothing.

Your in Leeds yeah?
I am in Bradford, I can bring my discs and have a look for you if you want mate, I have win 7 32bit and 64 bit both on perfectly clean and origonal working discs.
I sure it will be something or nothing.

Correct :) Thanks for the kind offer, I'll give you a shout if I need to take you up on it

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back