Hello everyone!
I modified a reasonably cheap pc about a month ago. I normally play iRacing but i want to play rfactor2 to. At the moment my pc doesn't handle this. I now want to upgrade my pc. I really want to run triple monitor on iracing and if possible also on rf2.
At the moment I have a prebuilt pc modified to be reasonable for my needs. I have a gtx460(not an rx460!) with an i7 4770 (non-k). I changed the memory with 8gb ddr3 and I changed the power supply to have 500 watts. I also added an ssd.
My plan was to buy a 1050ti later on. The problem is that I don't think this can handle triple monitors. Should I buy a 1060 to handle the triple monitor setup I want or is my pc bottlenecking this? What would you do in this situation? Could a gtx 1060 handle rfactor2 in dx11, in 5760x1080 resolution and with the high graphics preset?

rF2 is hard on graphics cards when running triple monitors in multiview(*), especially when running higher levels of DX11. I run a GTX 1080 with triples (5760x1080) and get useable performance (50-90 fps depending on tracks/cars) in rF2 with a couple settings turned down. A GTX 1060 has 63% of the performance of a 1080, so I don't think you'll be happy running triples in rF2 with it.

(*) Multiview is where the monitors are angled, giving you that surround vision.

Upvote 0
rF2 is hard on graphics cards when running triple monitors in multiview(*), especially when running higher levels of DX11. I run a GTX 1080 with triples (5760x1080) and get useable performance (50-90 fps depending on tracks/cars) in rF2 with a couple settings turned down. A GTX 1060 has 63% of the performance of a 1080, so I don't think you'll be happy running triples in rF2 with it.

(*) Multiview is where the monitors are angled, giving you that surround vision.
Thx for the help! Imagine running 4k in dx11:roflmao:. Could you run dx9 on a gtx1060 in multiview?

Upvote 0
Only with graphics options turned way down, like only level 2 AA (of 5 levels). And don't forget that the DX9 option for rF2 will likely go away within the year.

Upvote 0
Only with graphics options turned way down, like only level 2 AA (of 5 levels). And don't forget that the DX9 option for rF2 will likely go away within the year.
Yes. I know that. I don't know if this is the truth but some people told me dx11, if done correctly, shouldn't have an effect on the performance.
I really dislike rfactor2 for being so pc intensive. It's one of the best sims but the graphics engine is just not that good. Especially not for a low end pc. I think iRacing looks better with much more performance. I know that rf2 has tyre flex and chassis flex but this shouldn't effect your gpu performance

Upvote 0
Yes. I know that. I don't know if this is the truth but some people told me dx11, if done correctly, shouldn't have an effect on the performance.
I really dislike rfactor2 for being so pc intensive. It's one of the best sims but the graphics engine is just not that good. Especially not for a low end pc. I think iRacing looks better with much more performance. I know that rf2 has tyre flex and chassis flex but this shouldn't effect your gpu performance

rF2 is still at the stage where the content dictates whether there's a performance boost or not with DX11. To maintain backward compatibility with existing content, there isn't really any performance gain for DX11. iRacing got a small boost with DX11 because they reformatted their content.

Tire flex is a graphical animation (tied to the physics); animations beyond simple object move/rotations are always more graphic intensive than no animation. I don't believe chassis flex is animated since it is likely too small to be seen from trackside cameras.

But the real story of why rF2 is harder on GPUs than other games seems to be rooted in how much data is shoved into the GPU. rF2 can easily max out the graphics bus. We've known this ever since the GTX 900 series was initially launched.

Upvote 0
rF2 is still at the stage where the content dictates whether there's a performance boost or not with DX11. To maintain backward compatibility with existing content, there isn't really any performance gain for DX11. iRacing got a small boost with DX11 because they reformatted their content.

Tire flex is a graphical animation (tied to the physics); animations beyond simple object move/rotations are always more graphic intensive than no animation. I don't believe chassis flex is animated since it is likely too small to be seen from trackside cameras.

But the real story of why rF2 is harder on GPUs than other games seems to be rooted in how much data is shoved into the GPU. rF2 can easily max out the graphics bus. We've known this ever since the GTX 900 series was initially launched.
Thx for the info! I will just do triple monitor iracing and single monitor rfactor2. I think I can even run this on a 1050ti. I will wait for a few months just to see how the gpu prices are going to change.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back