Triple monitor setup for VR rig?

My rig was always built with VR in mind, and that will be the main use, but I've been considering a 3 monitor setup as a back up / alternative. I'm worried that I'm just being too extravagant, and wasting money, I already have a Pimax 8KX, but it seems like it would be a nice addition to have. You just don't always feel like dealing with a headset, you know?

If pushing ahead I would consider a Simlab stand, or self built similar? For monitors around 32"

The biggest issue is I'm not a gamer, and know nothing about monitors/ HZ / resolutions, or other features, or even what to look for. Monitor size is also confusing as many seem to prefer the 27" size a triple setup? Cost would be a consideration since this would be a secondary add on. I'm big on bang for the buck were it make sense.

Because the size of monitors and tvs are measured diagonally, the 49 inch ultrawide will be quite a bit wider than the 50 inch TV.

Imho, the vertical space is good for immersion but not really anything else. You just get to see more of the roof of the car or the sky, so there's no real benefit. The ultrawide will give you more view to the side at the same fov.

If you want immersion, you could make some sort of hood for the monitor so that above it you just see black and not the room you're in? Though I haven't used a super ultrawide monitor so I don't know how immersive they are or not.

Upvote 0
Because the size of monitors and tvs are measured diagonally, the 49 inch ultrawide will be quite a bit wider than the 50 inch TV.

Imho, the vertical space is good for immersion but not really anything else. You just get to see more of the roof of the car or the sky, so there's no real benefit. The ultrawide will give you more view to the side at the same fov.

If you want immersion, you could make some sort of hood for the monitor so that above it you just see black and not the room you're in? Though I haven't used a super ultrawide monitor so I don't know how immersive they are or not.

This is what I'm not getting. If both monitors are the same width (close), and are the same distance from the viewer. Why would the ultra show more? The horizontal viewj should be the same shouldn't it? Just with added height?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So if it's true the FOV is approx. the same:

The biggest advantages of the Super Ultra is the curve, and higher HZ.

The biggest advantages of the 50" 16:9 is higher resolution, more height, and lower cost.

I'm leaning toward the 4K at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, you're right. The width difference isn't anywhere near what I thought it would be.

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 13.25.23.png

Though the other thing to consider is that the 1080p super ultra wide has far fewer pixels overall so will be easier to run for the PC, meaning you can turn up the eye candy. But it will look fairly similar resolution/sharpness because the pixel density is similar (81ppi on the super ultra wide vs 88ppi on the 50 inch 4k I think, 55 inch 4k is 80ppi). It's basically a 54 inch 4k monitor chopped in half across the middle.

That said, the 4k TV will be a hell of a lot more useful for other things, like watching movies or playing other games that don't support ultra wide resolutions, if that matters to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks

I have 1 other question. I have read a few times that Large TV's are generally installed further away from the driver?

Why?

Can a 50" TV not be installed directly behind the wheel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Question - Does the 4k TV not give me the same FOV as the S Ultra but with added height? Width wise shouldn't I see the same view? Seems with the 4K that I would have a Super ultra width with added height, unless I'm missing how sims work with various sized monitors?

Because advertised screen sizes are measured diagonally, the superwide is about 5" wider than the TV (2.5" each side when the view is
centered). So, no, they're not the same FOV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies