Triple monitor setup for VR rig?

My rig was always built with VR in mind, and that will be the main use, but I've been considering a 3 monitor setup as a back up / alternative. I'm worried that I'm just being too extravagant, and wasting money, I already have a Pimax 8KX, but it seems like it would be a nice addition to have. You just don't always feel like dealing with a headset, you know?

If pushing ahead I would consider a Simlab stand, or self built similar? For monitors around 32"

The biggest issue is I'm not a gamer, and know nothing about monitors/ HZ / resolutions, or other features, or even what to look for. Monitor size is also confusing as many seem to prefer the 27" size a triple setup? Cost would be a consideration since this would be a secondary add on. I'm big on bang for the buck were it make sense.

Have you thought about a single ultrawide monitor instead? If you're primarily using VR but want something that is simple the use and still gives a lot of immersion then it might be a cheaper option that will require less space and less setup etc.

You don't need to go all the way to the G9, there are plenty of options out there that give up to 120Hz refresh and a solid resolution.

Upvote 0
I'm in a very similar boat. I use vr 99% of the time but really want to try triple monitors.

Triples are a pretty big investment for something I've never tried before so I waited until something came up 2nd hand. Managed to get three 27 inch monitors and a gt omega monitor stand for less than £300.

Just waiting to move house at the end of the week so I actually have space to set them up!

Though one of those super ultrawide monitors is a good shout too.

Upvote 0
Monitor size is also confusing as many seem to prefer the 27" size a triple setup? Cost would be a consideration since this would be a secondary add on.

27" is where the value resides when it comes to triple monitors. 24" is too small and selection is minimal in 32" and larger. 90+ Hz refresh, but don't go overboard looking for more than 144 Hz, especially for a secondary add-on. Since you're using a Pimax 8KX, you probably have the graphics horsepower to use 1440p monitors. If your main game is ACC, then I would advise against going for triple monitors.

Upvote 0
27" is where the value resides when it comes to triple monitors. 24" is too small and selection is minimal in 32" and larger. 90+ Hz refresh, but don't go overboard looking for more than 144 Hz, especially for a secondary add-on. Since you're using a Pimax 8KX, you probably have the graphics horsepower to use 1440p monitors. If your main game is ACC, then I would advise against going for triple monitors.

Thanks everyone!

Yes ACC will be my main racing Sim, but there will be other uses, such as

Dirt Rally2, Kart Kraft, DCS, MSFS2020 Etc.

I'm starting to consider a single curved ultra. Is the Sim Lab single monitor stand a good option? I'm in the US with a P1 cockpit, with full motion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've literally just done this and I also questioned the logic of this latest 'upgrade'. I've just found that, as my eyes get older, the graphical limitations of VR were becoming more of an issue. Added to which, it just feels like too much of a faff sometimes, when all I want to do is get driving!

I went for a Prosimrigs triple monitor stand which is similar in construction to the sim-labs alternative. I got 3 x AOC 32" 1440p 144hz gaming monitors (I figure if I'm going to do it, I may as well do it right!).

I've only been using it for the last 2 days but, so far I absolutely love it! I still have a few adjustments to make but, I can't see me getting bored of it any time soon. I haven't actually tested to see if I'm slower using triples but, the ease of use more than makes up for it!

Photo below to give you a sense of the scale of 3 x 32" monitors. It all takes up a little more space than I had anticipated!
RigwithTriples.JPG

Upvote 0
I looked at 1080p monitors to begin with as I was originally looking at 27". I think at that size, 1080p probably would have been fine. I also knew I wanted them positioned relatively close to me, making any pixilation more obvious.

To be honest though, pretty much any monitor would've been a huge visual upgrade from my first generation Vive!

Upvote 0
I run a 2080 RTX GE so, yours shouldn't have any issues being the variant above mine. I've only tested AC, F1 2018 and Project Cars 2 so far (like I said, the setup is only 2 days old!). All of them ran buttery smooth, zero framerate issues so far and all looked amazing. The graphics settings on the F1 game are all cranked up to high/ultra and caused no issues.

Hopefully other titles will work just as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I'm going to drop the triple monitor idea. Room is a issue as well as ease of use. This being only for VR backup, configuration, and times were something VR goes wrong and you need a regular monitor to click a tab, or minimize a screen ------

I'm going to go single monitor. on a stand. ( No place to put my current small monitor)

My big choice will be Ultra, or super ultra. Big price difference! If going super ultra my financial limit will be set at $850 max for the monitor. I just wish those options offered more vertical real estate.

I think I would prefer a ultra over the super. if I could get one 50" for width and height.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run a 2080 RTX GE so, yours shouldn't have any issues being the variant above mine. I've only tested AC, F1 2018 and Project Cars 2 so far (like I said, the setup is only 2 days old!). All of them ran buttery smooth, zero framerate issues so far and all looked amazing. The graphics settings on the F1 game are all cranked up to high/ultra and caused no issues.

Hopefully other titles will work just as well.

I ordered my AOC CQ32G1 triples earlier and will be running them on a 2080 for the foreseeable future, I was concerned it wouldn’t be all that great and will need to upgrade to the 3080.
But you’re giving hope I may not need the 3080 after all.

But maybe my ordered Reverb G2 will necessitate the 3080 upgrade

Also, what’s the width of your triple monitor set up, I think I calculated it out to about 1.5m

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 2080 TI. How would that drive 3 such monitors?
I was using a 2080Ti to drive 1440p triples and while they were fine for most sims, ACC was the one that made me give up on them. Now have the latest Samsung G9 to replace them and couldn't be happier.

With all that said, prior to ordering the G9 I was using a 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide and if I'm honest that IMO is probably the best option currently without having to go crazy on new hardware. Every game maxed out and running 120fps solid.

Upvote 0
Na, Not that much, What I want is a ultra that's big enough as to be as wide as the 49" Super. Just to give " a little more height".

I have found a 38" Ultra. Not much bigger than the 34 but costs $900. Compared to that one and the supers, the 34's are a real steal at current pricing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure of the overall width - the side screen angle is around 61 degrees I think. I'll measure it tonight. 1.5m sounds about right

I'd be interested to know what the issue is with ACC? It is on my list of upcoming purchases and, from all the footage I've seen online, it seems to work well on triples.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure of the overall width - the side screen angle is around 61 degrees I think. I'll measure it tonight. 1.5m sounds about right

I'd be interested to know what the issue is with ACC? It is on my list of upcoming purchases and, from all the footage I've seen online, it seems to work well on triples.
The overall width including the mounting arms for my 32" triples at 60 degrees is 140cm.
I'm not sure what issues people have with ACC and triples unless they consider 60fps to 70fps with and occasional dip into the 50s unacceptable.
My settings https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/first-triple-monitors-aoc-32-inch.178426/#post-3119955
7680x1440 144Hz, i7 8700, GTX 1080ti

KO

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm ready to buy my single monitor, but, I have seem to have fallen into a endless pit of indecision. I've almost pushed the buy button 20 times, and have changed monitors as many. Perhaps I need a push? I have already ordered the Sim Lab single monitor stand, and it's already due tomorrow. I want that monitor now! :)

Keeping in mind this is secondary to a 8KX VR set, and cost is a factor. I'm NOT buying a $1000 monitor. I was ready to jump on a budget brand 34" 1440P Ultra wide, but It's just not wide enough for me.

So I'm now down to 2 very different choices.

1. A budget brand 49" Super Ultra wide 1080P ( The 1440P model is just too much.)

2. A budget brand 50" Gaming 4K Tv ( Low input lag, decent response, super resolution. Just wish it was curved!

My thoughts - I'm not that picky about monitor specs, but size is important to me for immersion, and I not loving the small 14" height on the Super Ultra.

Question - Does the 4k TV not give me the same FOV as the S Ultra but with added height? Width wise shouldn't I see the same view? Seems with the 4K that I would have a Super ultra width with added height, unless I'm missing how sims work with various sized monitors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 11.8%