• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Triple monitor setup: curved or not curved?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by badash199, Sep 9, 2017.

1. badash199

badash199
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on a monitor that I could use in a triple monitor setup in the future. I am pretty much set on all the specs I want my monitor(s) to have but I have one open question that I can't seem to be able to answer: curved or not curved?... Good question, huh?

My main question to poeple who run curved screens is: how are curved monitors handled in sim racing games, specifically AC, Automobilista and iRacing? Is there any additional step required in the configuration compared to flat screens? Does the curve really enhance the immersion?

2. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford

Ratings:
    +36
    I only run a single screen 35" curved monitor from sim racing. Short answer, it's just preference over function. You'll set it up the same way as non-curved in triples as and the immersion factor difference.... Well there isn't one you'll notice. For me the monitor at this 'size/resolution/gsync/high refresh rate' was only available as a curved option. I'd be perfectly happy if the same screen was flat.

My advice, ignore the curve element, look for monitor specs that match your requirements. Eg. size, panel type, resolution, and refresh rate. That's the important stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Emery

Emery

Ratings:
    +340
    For race sims, curved screens are curved nowhere near enough to create a circle at the close distance we put monitors for racing. Thus a curved screen is not the right answer, but, as Jeremy notes, you may find that you can't get a flat screen with the specs you want, so you end up with curved screens. If you work in graphics, you don't want a curved screen because of the distortion.

As for configuration, no, there is nothing different about configuring curved screens in a sim compared to flat screens.

One final note: stick to 16:9 aspect ratio as triple 21:9 (widescreen) is going to have more pixels than your card can handle. And 1920x1080 is pretty much the limit; triple 2560x1440 is nice, but cards aren't quite powerful enough to use that resolution in all sims without sacrificing something.

4. Beef36

Beef36

Ratings:
    +12
    I have 2 sim rigs. One with 3 * 27" flat screen monitors and one with 3 * 35" curved monitors. The curve makes no tangible difference to me. I'd get curved screens if the price and other specs are the same, but I wouldn't pay extra for curved.

More important was the Mhz and screen size.

5. badash199

badash199
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for your answers. I was actually looking at the Samsung C27FG73 as it seems to have a pretty good VA panel and it seems to be at the same price as any good 144hz 27" 1080p TN monitor.
    It's true that probably the refresh rate is the most important thing...

6. PicoBp

PicoBp
    #26 | HSRC - Banzaaaiii Touring Car Crew Premium

Ratings:
    +460
    VA isn't great for fast motion and high refresh rates, it tends to perform a little under IPS panels. TN is still the best option for high Hz, but IPS is getting close recently, and the latter has much better color reproduction and viewing angles. ;)

7. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford

Ratings:
    +36
    My Predator 35" monitor is a VA panel upto 200mhz. I can see a small amount of ghosting on the edge of Windows when you move them around the desktop quickly. I can occasionally see the same while racing at the edge of tracks, but not in all sims. I wouldn't say this is terrible problem, and I never notice this in fast paced shooters.

It all comes down to cost, TN is cheap, fast but has terrible viewing angles with washed out colours. IPS is the most expensive with the best colour reproduction. VA a decent all rounder for cost versus performance. And then there's OLED, which would best them all but just too cost prohibitive.

8. badash199

badash199
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for your comments. It's true that VA panels have a bad reputation when it comes to responsivness and refresh rate but we start to see more and more gaming oriented VA monitors on the marker, like Jeremy's Predator or the Samsung CFG73, which is why it got my attention. I finally decided on a flat monitor as I think the curve would have bothered me more than anything else... I am the kind of guy that likes straight lines to be straight :rolleyes:

I just ordered the Iiyama G2730HSU (https://iiyama.com/gb_en/products/g-master-g2730hsu-b1/) mainly because it is cheap enough, has a 75Hz refresh rate (will see if it makes any difference from 60Hz) and is flicker-free for sensitive little princess eyes :geek:

9. softslider

softslider

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say flat monitors are good choice. You may heard about using beam projectors for curved screen. For this, additional processing should be done by commerical application, for the rounded screen as game's displaying data is for plat screen. I mean although monior is curvy, it's not that meaningful unless image data is converted for the curved.

10. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +111
    I like the sense of depth my 35"2500cr curvee screen gives me. Draw back is distortion of course but I don't notice it outsid the desktop. For triple dunno curved in the middle and flat on the sides would be interesting.