Traction control and ABS

Hi, I always race without abs and traction control. What's the view is it a moremail realistic and a more purist way to race or is using abs and traction control okay ? In AC there is a notable difference.

I'd say it's okay as long as you use factory settings. If it's used IRL why shouldn't we? That said there are many cars that can be faster without TC. The key is how consistent can you be without it. I personally use weaker TC settings in GT3 cars, the 488 GT3 is pretty stable even with TC disabled. In e.g. the LaFerrari however it is very hard to drive fast without TC, at least for me.

Hi, I always race without abs and traction control. What's the view is it a moremail realistic and a more purist way to race or is using abs and traction control okay ? In AC there is a notable difference.
most realistic/pure way would be to use factory settings .. and than if ABS/TC is present finetune its setting to fit your style/needs/tyre wear/conditions ...

Not being much of an online racer myself I could be wrong...but dont different servers have different rules about what assists are allowed?
I can't speak from experience with AC as I haven't raced it online yet, but most of my past racing in other sims was done on servers that forced assists to be turned off. That said, AC is somewhat unique in that it features a lot of modern cars that have assists in real life, so perhaps people set servers to "factory" as well? Not sure what RD does regarding this.

I think the use of traction control with the more advanced cars (GTs, LMPs, etc) is an integral part of the setup and technique. My fastest setups come with a lot of oversteer, and I will use the traction control level that allows me to rotate the car out of slow turns with a balanced throttle. I might need to adjust the level of TC depending on track temp (2-5 out of 6...for example).

Street/track Cars that are designed to be ran with ABS on will drive horribly with it off. So im using ABS on and TC off.

It gets more complicated for racecars as that depends on rules. Because of them gt cars are generally designed to be able to run without any assists so it's a driver choice - I usually race ABS on but with threshold braking and with TC disabled unless it's something like Nissan gt3, or a car specifically designed with TC in mind like some F1 or LMP models.

Some, mostly older, cars are strictly worse with assists like DTM for example, so it's a no brainer.
Also forcing ABS/TC on cars that never had it IRL will ultimately make them slower so i have no problems with people using these assists to help handle the car.

This topic is always an interesting debate. Some have the mentality that assists are for weaker drivers and that is is somehow "more sim" to not use them. Complaining that a GT3 car is too easy to drive with them on is just silly and it doesn't mean the driver is inferior. Plenty of aliens use it. If the real life series use it, then why wouldn't you? It's like not using DRS or push to pass because it is an assist.

Mine's always set to factory, then when in race/ practice, adjusted to suit conditions and personal race style, only things set to permanently off are ;''stability control' + ' automatic gears'.
Agree, the real assists (auto clutch, stab control, etc are game assists). Factory traction control settings are car technology features simulated in the sim and are just part of your setup choices.

Mine's always set to factory, then when in race/ practice, adjusted to suit conditions and personal race style, only things set to permanently off are ;''stability control' + ' automatic gears'.
Yeah me too. I thought the whole point of simracing was to put yourself in the drivers seat as accurately as possible and Assetto makes that easy with the factory settings. I really like that feature in the game.

With online races, I think the issue is that grip is often set at 100% by start of race (which kunos have said is unrealistic) so perhaps that makes some feel like the cars are easier to drive. IMO, anything between 88- 95% feels great and then it begins to feel quite grippy.

Yeah me too. I thought the whole point of simracing was to put yourself in the drivers seat as accurately as possible and Assetto makes that easy with the factory settings. I really like that feature in the game.

With online races, I think the issue is that grip is often set at 100% by start of race (which kunos have said is unrealistic) so perhaps that makes some feel like the cars are easier to drive. IMO, anything between 88- 95% feels great and then it begins to feel quite grippy.

That was the case for the majority of AC's life - but as I recall, one of the team said grip below 90 (or 90-something) is no longer realistic. This was around the time of tire model V10 update - someone might have a quote or correct me if I'm wrong.

Using purist is wrong word. It's more about evaluating the difference of performance between on & off. In most cases result an unfair advantage in the game result.

Sometime people just want to have fun & explore the limit with the possible increased difficulty while having everyone getting difficulty for a fair challenge.

Here some motivation video(it's not hard, you just play with the same rule)

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
Modern race cars are tuned with race class ABS, TC and SC which are then matched to engine HP/TQ output in combination with gearing. That's partially how race cars are tuned for traction. Thus even the "factory" setting means little for race cars unless you have an idea of what those reference settings were used for in real life.

Drive the way you want in your sims that makes you happy.

Not sure about the difference in lap times,probably faster with them on, but i always race without abs and TC, (only race GT3s) i feel as if am cheating with them on.

For me, driving a gt3 without traction and abs would be very difficult, there is no immediate
information. I have to wait for the steering to give me a clue, things just happen too quickly.

A RS1600 is a completely different beast due to the much slower response, both visually
and via the steering wheel I have no problems keeping it buzzing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back