TrackIR trouble

Anyone except me having trouble getting a smooth panning with TrackIR?

I use TrackIR5 with TrackClip PRO and it seems like when i pan around, it stutters like crazy, most of the time.

Looking at the tracking software i get smooth 120fps tracking with no interference all the time, but in RRE it stutters like mad when looking left and right. Like it also does in rFactor 1 AND 2 incidentally.

Notable is i run RRE VSynced at solid 60fps. TrackIR software is latest official version and drivers, on Windows10.

I have accepted the fact that rF2 is unusable with TrackIR due to stutters, but will NOT accept it for RRE, my goto sim...

Could try to take away the VSync/capping in RRE but then again, if i do i get so many frames on this rig that the stuttering and tearing is horrible on my 60hz monitor.

Any ideas? Any other TrackIR-users that have managed to get it smooth?

For reference it is completely smooth in Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck sim etc.

rFactor-titles i know not to work ok, as well as IL-2 Sturmovik where the same panning stutter occurs, and also RRE apperantly.

Yep. Looking at the camera in the camera view of the software while playing, shows solid 120 fps capture, no problems or interference.

It pans fine for a while, then stutters, then fine, then stutter etc.

Same as IL2 or rFactor used to do when i used those sims. Assetto Corsa and Euro Truck Sim are fine, with solid smooth panning...

Even when VSynced. I need to keep VSync on as the incosistency of frame times otherwise makes me sick and detracts from the experience for me,,,

TrackIR works fine for me in all sims. Are you sure you don't have a bright window or something behind you? That will cause problems because it confuses the sensor. Also have you tried using the basic TrackClip on its own to see if that works? It could be that the TrackClipPro is playing up. Personally I never bought the TrackClipPro, I just use the basic one on a baseball cap and don't have any problems. Have you ever had TrackIR working or is this a new problem?

TrackIR works fine for me in all sims. Are you sure you don't have a bright window or something behind you? That will cause problems because it confuses the sensor. Also have you tried using the basic TrackClip on its own to see if that works? It could be that the TrackClipPro is playing up. Personally I never bought the TrackClipPro, I just use the basic one on a baseball cap and don't have any problems. Have you ever had TrackIR working or is this a new problem?

Been like this all the time. As i said, i am sure i have no interference, looking at the camera set-up in TrackIR while playing shows that tracking is 120fps, no extra lights being tracked.

rF2 shows same issues, as does IL2.

Tracking however works flawless in Assetoo Corsa, Euro Truck Sim, Elite Dangerous, Rise Of Flight etc.

Same light conditions and position.

With or without PRO clip makes no difference either.

But to compare, what are your other specs? If it works for you in RRE? I am running 6700k I7 with hyperthreading and Windows10, TrackIR5 and i always have VSync on. How does that compare to your setup?

My specs: i7 2600k @ 4.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 970. R3E running at maximum graphics settings, but only 2x AA, FXAA turned on, vSync off.

Just for testing: does it stutter when you turn down the graphics settings (say low or medium)?

I have no stuttering either when panning with TrackIR in RRRE or any other sim I run (DCS world, Falcon4.0 BMS, F-1 2014 and 2015, etc). I do not run Vsync. I use both the hat clip and Track Clip Pro without issue.

AMD 8320 8-core, 2gb GTX750, 16gb RAM - running all settings at max.

Good luck!
DrDetroit

Been like this all the time. As i said, i am sure i have no interference, looking at the camera set-up in TrackIR while playing shows that tracking is 120fps, no extra lights being tracked.

rF2 shows same issues, as does IL2.

Tracking however works flawless in Assetoo Corsa, Euro Truck Sim, Elite Dangerous, Rise Of Flight etc.

Same light conditions and position.

With or without PRO clip makes no difference either.

But to compare, what are your other specs? If it works for you in RRE? I am running 6700k I7 with hyperthreading and Windows10, TrackIR5 and i always have VSync on. How does that compare to your setup?

My specs:
i5 4670K @ 4GHz
HD7850
8Gb Ram
Windows 7

In racing games I rarely use vsync. The only time I can remember using it was in the codemasters F1 games but that was because of the FFB glitch without it. My only use for vsync is sometimes in offline single player games because of the smoothness when you don't need fast reactions against AI.

I would suggest testing without vsync. It's odd that for me it always works fine. I can't say I've had a single glitch in the whole time I've used it.

Hmm... Can you guys try with VSync on? Just to see if it introduces it for you? I have a theory as to what is going on, that i might bring up with NaturalPoint..

And how on earth anyone can stand looking at rendered visuals without vertical sync is beyond me, it makes me physically sick :)

My specs: i7 2600k @ 4.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 970. R3E running at maximum graphics settings, but only 2x AA, FXAA turned on, vSync off.

Just for testing: does it stutter when you turn down the graphics settings (say low or medium)?

Yes, it always stutters. Turning off VSync seems to help though... But then i get 200+ fps at max settings so i get horrible tearing and jerkyness that makes me physically ill instead, so that would be no option.

See above, please try to turn in-game vsync on and pan around with trackir, see if it introduces the issue for you as well. For me just standing in the pits and looking around causes it to start after a while.

Hi Richard

I use trackir5 and experience stuttering mainly with RF2. R3E is OK for me, but it does stutter from time to time, usually when moving back to default position. RF2 is the worst culprit, being very choppy no matter what I try - I've seen a few similar posts but not many. I use vsync (for 60Hz monitor) with most games, but I've tried all combinations in search of buttery-ness. NaturalPoint are waiting for a video capture from me to demonstrate but I've not got around to it yet. Stuttering is the quickest way to pull you out of the immersion of any game...

Post an update if you solve the problem - likewise I'll do the same.

My specs:
i7 3770k OC 4.5GHz
16GB ram
gtx 970 overclocked

I ditched TrackIR for triple screen a couple months ago and upgraded gtx970 to 1070, but still can't get smooth gameplay without reducing AA and lots of detail even with dx11 update. I'm hoping dx11 vsync (think it's due today) will smooth out the experience a little, even if I can get fps up to 70-80fps it doesn't feel natural and is still stroby and jerky.

RF2 performance seems to vary dramatically even with similar system specs. I find it really disheartening reading posts from guys getting high framerates with pretty much the same gear. Not from lack of trying, though - I had a peek on Steam and I've spent far more time on RF2 than any other sim, about 160hrs, but I would estimate only a third of it is actually racing; the rest is messing around trying to get it to run well. Must say something about my personality...not sure if good or bad.

I just tried R3E with trackir and it was choppy as hell! Even my sli pro and the gameplay was choppy. FPS was stuck at 43.

I tried changing some settings but no luck. But the game was fine without trackir. So I updated Trackir 5 Pro software and that did the trick! I was back to my usual solid 75 FPS, vsync on and butter smooth gameplay! Trackir works great with all my Sims; R3E, RFactor 2, AMS and AC. I was actually able to use my custom AMS trackir profile with Rfactor 2 seamlessly. If setup right, Trackir is simply put amazing:)

So with the software update ("games list update" tab in the Trackir software) and vysnc enabled (or gysync/freesync) is my recommendation

I use TrackIR 5 with all my sims, flight and race without problems. Smooth as butter in RRE for me but I use an AMD RX480 and a 75mhz freesync 34" monitor since owning Track IR. My only problem is that I can't seem to disable some of the axis in RRE. I just want left and right to be honest. But once you get used to it, track IR is brilliant.

@Andy Jackson I am currently using only left/right axis in R3E (I think I may have slight up/down axis enabled. Will check that out tonight when I'm home). Is there a reason why you don't want up/down axis? For me, it causes me to hit the centre button to often.

We can exchange trackir profiles/setups for R3E to compare if you like. I know that "what works for you may not work for me," but it would be interesting to try out.

I was using the exact same monitor as you. I believe you have the beautiful LG 34UM67-P. I have recently put that monitor on the wall for all my other media and sold my LG 32 inch smart tv (fell in love with 21:9 displays). I bought the LG 34UM58-P (cheaper model) exclusively dedicated for my racing rig. But the new monitor lacks freesync, only HDMI no displayport, no built in audio, only 60hz refresh rate and a lot less features in the OSD. But I managed to easily overclock the monitor to 75hz using AMD's software and regardless of people saying "vsync causes input lag," I myself haven't noticed any input lag using vsync from both ingame and in AMD software.
I guess if you have a good enough GPU (I'm Using Sapphire 380X) that can handle high/ultra in game settings and still maintain your monitors max refresh rate, then there should be zero issues.
That's when Vsync shines and coming from a freesync display, its difficult for me to notice a difference between vysync and freesync (never used gsync monitor). A large 21:9 display with Trackir is really great!

@Andy Jackson I am currently using only left/right axis in R3E (I think I may have slight up/down axis enabled. Will check that out tonight when I'm home). Is there a reason why you don't want up/down axis? For me, it causes me to hit the centre button to often.
We can exchange trackir profiles/setups for R3E to compare if you like. I know that "what works for you may not work for me," but it would be interesting to try out.

A large 21:9 display with Trackir is really great!

Yeah sure Dean.
Yes loving my LG 34 UM68 model. I will try some more experimenting with mine tonight.

I have mine set up like this with multi colour led backlight too. :thumbsup: Except mine is directly in front of my T500.
wSY04pT.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea