Track Limits and how to enforce them

After watching Austrian GP i noticed a lot of track limit violations. Personaly i don't like the rulle as i started watching F1 in the 90's and it was part of racing. When you swung the car outside into a drift and got back on track that meant you where on the limit and fast. But the FIA cant regulate and enforce it, I would love to see somone in the FIA booth who dishes out the penaltys get in a F1 car and go throgh Turn 10 at Austria. The only solution is to alter track by puting in banking. But acording to Karun Chandock on utube podcast Moto GP use the track and that will send riders of in a jump. Almost all the tracks that are permenant have other forms of racing and Motorcycles are coumoun. So the other solution is a chicane to slow things down between turn 9 and 10 and Moto GP car use old configuration. Something like Portugual where they paved inside and made F1's go through. This failed to primote passing but the concept will slow car down. On a track where you are on the power. Most tracks have a chicane on the end going into main straight. The cars are so technologically advanced they are out growing the track. Well that is my solution the only other way is to go to street cicits with walls on track limits ready to burn whoever rubs them. You cant have a race and have FIA analise for 5 hours who gets what penalty. Bringing politics of race into next round at Silverstone.

The solution is simple. Drivers respect the lines or pay the consequences.

One rule that may be added is be allowed to remove a cut track warning by lifting off enough in the following straight. Obviously it generally has to be done so you loose way more time then you gained but is often preferrable to a stop and go.

The track is not an issue its very wide the only reason cars go wide is to win time. Solution to this is penalise them with time. Its fascination that only half the grid realize there was nothing to gain because track limits would be policed.

They will learn and be better with it next race but absolutely nothing needs fixing track works better then any other on the calendar

Pär,

the only Problem with your view is that real live racing is not a sim.
The drivers don't get the TL warning in real time but later over the radio from their Box.
And if the Stewards have to manually review dozens of infractions they fall behind even more. The result is the **** Show we saw on Sunday when the penalties arrive hours late.

I ve read the suggestion to build a gravel trap which would enforce TLs mechanically, but that would be dangerous for motorcycle races.

But it should be possible to use the transponder of the car to determin an infraction so that the driver would get a warning on his display.
Than it would be up to him....

The solution is simple. Drivers respect the lines or pay the consequences.

One rule that may be added is be allowed to remove a cut track warning by lifting off enough in the following straight. Obviously it generally has to be done so you loose way more time then you gained but is often preferrable to a stop and go.

The track is not an issue its very wide the only reason cars go wide is to win time. Solution to this is penalise them with time. Its fascination that only half the grid realize there was nothing to gain because track limits would be policed.

They will learn and be better with it next race but absolutely nothing needs fixing track works better then any other on the calendar
I dont belive drivers will deliberatley call a penalty, maybe try to be sneakey but not so many drivers and so many times. I know the tires loose grip and the car slides a little sideways due to phisics. And that and wather like wind may be factors. By going wide you make the straight a little longer and get more power. This will help you pass with a small power advantage as you are on the throttle sooner.

Reactions: jgf
Too much regulation in racing today; I think some series won't be happy til the cars are computer driven, all following the exact same line at the same speed. The drivers are doing what they are supposed to do - push the car and themselves to the limits to get the best lap times, that includes using all the track. If you're going to penalize them for doing that you do not want professional drivers, you want robotic drivers.

But if a series insists on enforcing this inanity there is a simple solution. Embed sensors in the track and in each car, a track computer will monitor each car each lap and instantly assess penalties for anyone getting "out of line". The technology is easily available and certainly F1 has the resources to implement it.

Too much regulation in racing today; I think some series won't be happy til the cars are computer driven, all following the exact same line at the same speed. The drivers are doing what they are supposed to do - push the car and themselves to the limits to get the best lap times, that includes using all the track. If you're going to penalize them for doing that you do not want professional drivers, you want robotic drivers.

But if a series insists on enforcing this inanity there is a simple solution. Embed sensors in the track and in each car, a track computer will monitor each car each lap and instantly assess penalties for anyone getting "out of line". The technology is easily available and certainly F1 has the resources to implement it.
Yes like the old arcade games of the 80's you had some objects on track to run over some where there to slow you down and others there to speed you up

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 34
Yeah well only way I see you can solve this 100% ( shrugs)
Course I was meaning all tracks to have physical limits just beyond the white lines.
Give them 6 / 12" before barrier to use how they wish.
You would have to drop all traditional circuits which of course they will never do, even if it was safer.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.