Tracks Track Cameras - A tutorial

Dont I cover that in the video? I cant remember the exact option, but one will toggle between static and following the car.
Yeah you did, I was just being stupid. Thanks :) If you ever figure out how to make cameras follow without AI spline pleeeeease make a video...Struggled for too long trying to create crazy AIsplines for a free roam server.

Yeah you did, I was just being stupid. Thanks :) If you ever figure out how to make cameras follow without AI spline pleeeeease make a video...Struggled for too long trying to create crazy AIsplines for a free roam server.

I can nearly guarantee that wont happen. I stopped doing cams a while back. :D

To be honest, it would take some work to get it going with out an AI spline considering it uses that to trigger cameras in and out.

Have you tried F7 (?) I think it is to free roam around using the mouse and arrow keys? Only in replays as far as I know/

I was able to edit my cameras thanks to this tutorial. Thank you. However, when I want to create cameras for the pits, loading pit_lane.ai from the circuit, all the other external cameras on the circuit collapse, since one of the pit cameras covers the entire circuit. How can I solve that? Thank you

Can someone guide me? I need a tutorial that explains well the different parameters of the tv cameras, to know well what we change every time we do it. Is there any of that? Cheers

The video in the 1st post not enough?

The video is fantastic to be able to edit the cameras, respect positions, fov, etc. But does not specify what each value is for, such as in the heading plane, exposor, Dof, etc. Thank you very much for everything else that is perfectly explained in the video. Cheers

The video is fantastic to be able to edit the cameras, respect positions, fov, etc. But does not specify what each value is for, such as in the heading plane, exposor, Dof, etc. Thank you very much for everything else that is perfectly explained in the video. Cheers

Ah ok. Well sadly, I wont be able to help you there. I dont know if I even knew when i was making the cams about that stuff.

Maybe this is helpful?
Can't really explain more. Just try stuff out :)

[CAMERA_0]Sequential number of the camera in the file. Must start with 0, I believe.
NAME=Camera 0This name is not used IIRC, but can be useful for yourself when editing them.
POSITION=-16.2874, 17.2614, -17.2275World Coordinate System. Set it inside the ksEditor or get these numbers from within your 3D editing software.
UP=-0.648, 0.4613, -0.6661Some weird coordinate system no-one understands. Set it inside the ksEditor.
MIN_FOV=4The FOV of the camera in degrees when it's fully zoomed in.
MAX_FOV=44The FOV of the camera in degrees when it's fully zoomed out.
FOV_GAMMA=0.5This is how quickly the camera changes from MIN_FOV to MAX_FOV and back. This does not work as you'd like, but play with it.
IN_POINT=0Point on the AI spline where this camera is activated.
OUT_POINT=0.002963Point on the AI spline where this camera is de-activated. If the following camera does not start at this point, AC will still have this camera active. However, if you skip in a replay and you skip to anywhere where there is a 'void', AC will use the latest used camera (could be on the other side of the track, depending on where you skip from).
SHADOW_SPLIT0=50Distance in meters to switch to highest resolution shadows.
SHADOW_SPLIT1=250Distance in meters to switch to lower resolution shadows.
SHADOW_SPLIT2=1350Distance in meters to switch to lowest resolution shadows.
NEAR_PLANE=5Distance in meters for the camera to clip. In this case, any mesh within 5 meters from the camera will be clipped. Useful when you have a camera inside a building, so it doesn't render the building.
FAR_PLANE=10000Distance in meters for the camera to clip. Any mesh further than this setting will be clipped. Useful in large tracks with many obstructions, so you can tell the camera only to render the visible stuff, and not something that is 10 km away and not even seen.
MIN_EXPOSURE=0.35This is the minimum exposure the camera will use. Exposure changes depending on available light in the scene.
It's a multiplier. Nothing to do with ISO, aperture or shutter speed.
MAX_EXPOSURE=0.55This is the maximum exposure the camera will use. Exposure changes depending on available light in the scene.
DOF_FACTOR=1Amount of blur from depth of field. Not sure about the range (0-100? 0-1?)
DOF_RANGE=100Depth of field. The higher this number, the more is in focus when using depth of field blur. Not sure about units, here.
DOF_FOCUS=0When using manual focus, this number specifies the focal distance of the camera. Not sure about units, here.
DOF_MANUAL=0AC uses auto-focus by default. You can override this by setting this to 1. Can be nice for static cameras.
SPLINE=Specify a csv file to use as path, as explained in the first post. This csv file specifies offset from the POSITION.
SPLINE_ROTATION=0If that path needs to be rotated, type in a degree. This can be useful if you have multiple boom-operated cameras so they can use the same csv file.
SPLINE_ANIMATION_LENGTH=15This specifies the speed of your csv path.
IS_FIXED=0Setting this to 1 will prevent the camera from tracking the car. Very nice for kerb cameras.

amazing explanation!
the "trick" I do for S/F line cameras is to clone the camera 0 to the last camera, in some cases, not always.
Yeah that's best. You could have one camera with IN=0.96 and OUT=0.12 for example, but then when you start in pits (at say, 0.98), AC doesn't know which camera to pick. It needs OUT=1 and IN=0 somewhere somehow :p

Thanks for your video, norbs. It was an essential guide for me, when learning how to make my own trackside cameras. Some definite quirks to be learned, mistakes to be made and a lot of trial and error, especialy with getting the right FOV visuals in kseditor.

A 'speed-run' of my Suzuka 1989 TV camera set, for the Suzuka1988 track.

Last edited:
Maybe this is helpful?
Can't really explain more. Just try stuff out :)

[CAMERA_0]Sequential number of the camera in the file. Must start with 0, I believe.
NAME=Camera 0This name is not used IIRC, but can be useful for yourself when editing them.
POSITION=-16.2874, 17.2614, -17.2275World Coordinate System. Set it inside the ksEditor or get these numbers from within your 3D editing software.
UP=-0.648, 0.4613, -0.6661Some weird coordinate system no-one understands. Set it inside the ksEditor.
MIN_FOV=4The FOV of the camera in degrees when it's fully zoomed in.
MAX_FOV=44The FOV of the camera in degrees when it's fully zoomed out.
FOV_GAMMA=0.5This is how quickly the camera changes from MIN_FOV to MAX_FOV and back. This does not work as you'd like, but play with it.
IN_POINT=0Point on the AI spline where this camera is activated.
OUT_POINT=0.002963Point on the AI spline where this camera is de-activated. If the following camera does not start at this point, AC will still have this camera active. However, if you skip in a replay and you skip to anywhere where there is a 'void', AC will use the latest used camera (could be on the other side of the track, depending on where you skip from).
SHADOW_SPLIT0=50Distance in meters to switch to highest resolution shadows.
SHADOW_SPLIT1=250Distance in meters to switch to lower resolution shadows.
SHADOW_SPLIT2=1350Distance in meters to switch to lowest resolution shadows.
NEAR_PLANE=5Distance in meters for the camera to clip. In this case, any mesh within 5 meters from the camera will be clipped. Useful when you have a camera inside a building, so it doesn't render the building.
FAR_PLANE=10000Distance in meters for the camera to clip. Any mesh further than this setting will be clipped. Useful in large tracks with many obstructions, so you can tell the camera only to render the visible stuff, and not something that is 10 km away and not even seen.
MIN_EXPOSURE=0.35This is the minimum exposure the camera will use. Exposure changes depending on available light in the scene.
MAX_EXPOSURE=0.55This is the maximum exposure the camera will use. Exposure changes depending on available light in the scene.
DOF_FACTOR=1Amount of blur from depth of field. Not sure about the range (0-100? 0-1?)
DOF_RANGE=100Depth of field. The higher this number, the more is in focus when using depth of field blur. Not sure about units, here.
DOF_FOCUS=0When using manual focus, this number specifies the focal distance of the camera. Not sure about units, here.
DOF_MANUAL=0AC uses auto-focus by default. You can override this by setting this to 1. Can be nice for static cameras.
SPLINE=Specify a csv file to use as path, as explained in the first post. This csv file specifies offset from the POSITION.
SPLINE_ROTATION=0If that path needs to be rotated, type in a degree. This can be useful if you have multiple boom-operated cameras so they can use the same csv file.
SPLINE_ANIMATION_LENGTH=15This specifies the speed of your csv path.
IS_FIXED=0Setting this to 1 will prevent the camera from tracking the car. Very nice for kerb cameras.

great !!! Thanks a lot.

Thanks for your video, norbs. It was an essential guide for me, when learning how to make my own trackside cameras. Some definite quirks to be learned, mistakes to be made and a lot of trial and error, especialy with getting the right FOV visuals in kseditor.

A 'speed-run' of my Suzuka 1989 TV camera set, for the Suzuka1988 track.

This pleases me greatly. Currently working on Kyalami for AMS2 and I can appreciate how much work goes into it.

There's just a thing that's driving me mad.... how can I modify/delete a camera from the KS editor, in the same way I add them? Let's assume I put 20 cams, but I after testing there's one I don't like. I havent found a way to modify it, even making variations, it's been saved with the same parameters. Same thing to delete a camera.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back