rF2 Touring Masters @ Birmingham GP - Saturday September 24th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
arggg, typical of my recent luck

bad and cautious qually put me last, made even worse that i had a good start but ran into the back of someone who didnt move, which spun me round
my race ended at the chicaine when i hit the tyres, but someone else then hit me, so especially not good

best of luck to anyone still running

Someone better learn me how to drive at the grey area of the track...

I'm seriously getting mad at myself... In each race where I'm have the pace to win I crash out, 90% because I don't got the consistent needed...

Thanks for the race RD.

Great evening racing Qually mid field. Had a bad start due to somebody who was sleeping on the grid putting me almost in last place pushed on with the raceon hard front tires to finish 5th.
Tnks RD.

Used my set from Donnington and just made things a bit softer and it worked ok but was rather har on the mediums about 35 mins in. Wow what a blast that was though Had a bad start and went lawn mowing and nearly ate the wall in turn 3 lap one, dropped a few places but fought my way back up the pack, it was very enjoyable. Had one heck of a dice with Francesco Huber at the start then at the end again grabbing 3rd from him last lap. Kudos for the clean hard driving, good stuff.
Certainly did not expect a podium at all. It was very rewarding after fighting with some great drivers out there to grab 3rd at the end. Really enjoying this mod and I plan to make every race I can in WTM

Congrats to all finishers and you two crazy fast dudes in 1st and 2nd :)
Pics and Vid to come!

Till next time, Cheers all

!Well I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's event. I really enjoyed the challenge of the WTM mod.

To me the Rover looked good on paper. I started with it after I installed the mod. After a quick 15 lap rundown, some air pressure, and a few gearing experiments, I came away liking the car but needing to try something different to compare.

The first thing I noticed when I started my out lap in the Volvo is that it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Rover. The small V-8 in the Rover sounds like a born racer. That being said the Volvo does everything just as good without any of the fanfare. I'm sure over the long haul, the Rover can either help you get past, or burn up its tires leaving you to get passed.

The Volvo felt good, now to learn the track and see what some of the garage tweaks can do. One of the things I noticed for me was that the soft tires dont necessarily equate to faster lap times. The car also felt very planted with 35 laps of fuel versus the five laps low fuel setting. I didn't get to make a long enough run to risk trying to soft tires. Tire choice was decided early, go with the mediums, take it steady, and see what shakes out at the end.

Another thing that needs some more tinkering for me is the wing downforce. Only two options. Default was set at two. I preferred one but only tried it right at the end of qualifying. Ended up liking it, sticking with it for the race.

Practice:p5
Decided to stick with the Volvo for the race. I would like to drive the Rover on a test run to see how my pace would compare. Goals: Focus on being smooth, build reference points with the full race setup.

Qualifying: P7
Still playing with a few settings, including a taller second year at this point. Was having a hard time nailing every turn with the addition of the soft tires thrown in the mix. Honestly I don't even remember what my qualifying time was, as the session ended before I was ready. Seventh on the grid. Not where I wanted. Had a difficult time in the last turn with the quality setup.

Race: DNF
My plan for this race was to be steady. Get a good start, settle into a rhythm, and try to drive the track better and better each lap. I noticed that it takes a few laps for the tires to work optimally. I was interested to see just how long would they last.

I did get a good start tucking behind Jay in sixth place. Gary and Martin went off in the back straight esses on lap one, and I was into P4. Ojala and Erik were locked in a fierce battle for the lead for the next several laps. I put plenty of pressure on Jay as well, but could not manage a clean move. This allowed Gary to catch and pass me on lap five. On lap nine I was still watching Gary working on Jay, looking faster but like me, not getting by. I was back into fourth a few laps later as Erik went off in front, suffering damage. I ran off a good string of 33s and then slipped into the 34s for a few laps. Cory caught me in the Toyota on lap 16. Just as we started our battle, I had an Internet disconnect. Not the way I wanted to finish.

All in all I had a great time! The mod is fantastic! I am looking forward to trying some of the other cars. I saw tremendous battles for position in front of me, lap after lap.

Super happy for my first event with this mod! Would really like to see how the car was going to handle at the end. Looking forward to the next event!

Thanks to everyone that made this possible. Thanks Ryan and Race Department!

Ya Kane, I was just getting ready for a nice duel then you went M.I.A. Hope you have better luck next time. :)

Thanks a bunch to RD and all involved in making these events possible. I am enjoying this series immensely and greatly appreciate your time & efforts ;)

Started near the back and was careful to avoid what I thought might happen as people got a little tangled up. Went from about 20th to about 14th in about 8 seconds. Somewhere near the 2nd lap on one of the straight sections I received a "tap" to the left rear side which sent me off track and back across to the other side inflicting steering damage. Sorry but I didn't see you in my blind spot. When I returned to track I was way behind and I continued for one lap but had to pit for repairs. Returned to track and managed get it together and to kept pace with a driver infront of me for awhile until my front tires became so bad that even when I slowed to negotiate a turn I still dirfted into a tire wall and that ended my racing after 20 laps. I tried to use good judgment when lappers came knocking at my rear door.

WD to podiums, and thanks to the organizers for the time and effort put in.

Nice mod, nice track. I only decided to race last night so I didn't havemuch practice with these cars, but they seemed pretty neutral with good power and grip. Plus I know the track pretty well so I thought that on a 45 minutes race I could do well.

My first surprise was that once I logged in the server the cars were no longer organized the way I had them in practice. Weirs. But I choose a BMW M3 with a cool gold on black design and I went for it. I had barely done a lap when we went to qualifications. I was too cold and I didn;t do too well, but I used to work on my setup.

I think I started 13 or 14 but in short order I was running in 10th and I decided to just concentrate on my braking points, turn in points aetc. It paid off because soon I was in 5th place with few contenders around and about 20 minutes to go./

That's when murphy started playing tricks on me.

For some reason my screen started locking up. This happens very rarely to me in rFacotr, but when it does, it's a killer. Basically, my game stops and everyone else continues.

Soon, even though I was losing only less than a second each time, cars that were well behind me started catching up.

In particular a yellow mercedes with whom I had quite some fun dueling along. Unfortunately, the blackouts were increasing in number and I was afraid I would cause an accident and take us both out of the race.

Next it was the turn of a ford, and this one indeed at some point I had it well behind me, I get a longer freeze and I appear right at its rear bumper. He must have wondered what happened.

At that point I figured I let him pass and go ahead since we weren't even on the same lap so I remained in 6th.

With about 10 minutes to go, in 6th place and with the closest chaser 20 seconds behind I felt I could possibly pull off a top 10 finish, when suddently on the back stretch I had a freeze and IO reappeared right in front of the tire obstacle on the inside of the turn. I hit it hard and I bent the car.

However, I could still drive it, but by then 7th place was approaching and about to pass me.

This is when something happened I cannot quite understand.

I am on the back straight obviously driving slowly right after the crash. This Car (no brand so I cannot be accused of naming names) is getting bigger in my mirror and aiming right at me. I had time to check the board and he was indeed in 7th place.

I actually move to the right even more but eventually this car hits me full force right on the back. That effectively finished my race right there. We are both by the side of the road and my car barely can get going.

I just don;t know what to think. I believe this may be the same driver that earlier spun me out at least once, back at the beginning of the race after I passed him (and I passed him because he got wrapped up at the turn exit all on his own, but apparently he was less than happy that I didn't let him go ahead) .

Bottom line, it looked tome like an intentional punt. The first one might have been chalked up to over enthusiasm, but the second one there was no doubt. Unless I was invisible, he aimed for me and intentionally put me out of commission.

Guys, we race for fun. If you take it so seriously that you have to punt those that pass you, you may want to find a less competitive hobby.
If I punted everyone faster than me, there would be no one left at RD racing.

Anyway, admin, you may want to look at the replay and check out this person's identity. Not for my sake, but for everyone else sake in future races. I had already lost that race. Too bad because without the screen freezing problems I had a nice and comfortable 5th place finish (and maybe even better). But things happen. It was fun being there.

Congratulations to the podium riders and all who made it to the finish.
First of all I must apologize for my bad English, because I only speak German and Google translated - so please do not beat me, but Google.

I am a great lover of these historic cars and classic cars as the favorite among my generation. I myself am a Year 59 and had my best time in the seventies and have been including BMW, 2002, 3.0i, and a Camaro 633CSI - those were really great cars (and even better gasoline prices). I know many riders from this time and was in many events. Maybe you understand better now my love for this mod.

I need no points and no prizes as a motivation for such a challenge, for me it's all about the fun of racing with these cars, but the race has again shown yesterday to boost the good rider can still enjoy this and I would have more hours drive so wish.
It was my first race of RD and I had a little afraid that I might not understand the rules properly and maybe there Reconlap and I've read about it. I did not leave until Qualy to me to secure the last spot and just watch what is going on here, but I could not just sit quietly 20min in my box and do not drive - not that I make.
My training times I drove consistently with racing trim, medium tires, and 60 liters in the tank, because my handicap was the route I'm not so much. Tight curves are for the big BMW is not just good, for he is sure something heavy, but I've noticed that I was getting better and can establish myself so well in midfield. In Qualy I mounted then only soft tires and grabbed 15 liters of fuel in the tank, but it still has enough space for only 8 or 9. So I was probably in the middle.

The launch itself gave me an adrenaline rush without equal and because of my uncertainty whether or not Reconlap, I lost in the first few corners a few places. I wanted to push but not perhaps to prevent someone and make myself the very first race in the community unpopular - that I can always come back. :)
So I'm looking for my rhythm and just trying to turn my fault-free rounds. I again found myself at some point even in 3rd place, but then I was very confused because I was not even sure if there was not a mandatory pit stop. So I watched the two drivers at number 1 and 2 which were about 50sec in front of me and Cory Linton, who was after his pit stop at 23sec behind me 4th place I assumed that Cory was on his way to catch up with soft tires and and began to calculate whether I could get my third place finish (that would be my best result in my Simracingkarriere) but Cory got on well and my tires did not play with it. After a couple of great rounds Cory was on my tail on it and I could not keep him behind me, so I had him with a sad eye, but can be drawn with respect.

I thank everyone for this great race, I thank RD for the event and would be happy if I can participate in a league, because yesterday I can gather a lot of really great final pressures and it would be fun.

best regards Francesco
________________________________________________________________________________

Um Mißverständnisse zu vermeiden ist hier mein deutscher Text (falls Google Mist baut)

Gratulation an die Podiumfahrer und alle die es bis ins Ziel geschafft haben.
Vorab muss ich mich für mein schlechtes Englisch entschuldigen, denn ich spreche nur deutsch und Google übersetzt - also bitte schlagen Sie nicht mich, sondern Google.

Ich bin ein großer Liebhaber dieser historischen Autos und ebenso zählen die Youngtimer zu meiner Lieblingsgeneration. Ich selbst bin Baujahr 59 und hatte meine schönste Zeit in den Siebzigern und habe unter anderem auch BMW 2002, 3.0si, 633csi und einen Camaro gehabt - das waren wirklich tolle Autos (und auch noch bessere Benzinpreise). Ich kenne viele Fahrer noch aus dieser Zeit und war auf vielen Veranstaltungen. Vielleicht verstehen Sie nun meine Liebe für diesen Mod besser.

Ich brauche keine Punkte und keine Preise als Motivation für so eine Challenge, denn es geht mir nur um den Spass am Rennen mit diesen Autos, aber das Rennen gestern hat wieder gezeigt, das gute Fahrer diesen Spass noch steigern können und ich hätte noch weitere Stunden so fahren wollen.
Es war mein erstes Rennen bei RD und ich hatte ein bißchen Angst, das ich vielleicht das Reglement nicht richtig verstanden habe und vielleicht gibt es Reconlap und ich habe es überlesen. Ich wollte erst keine Qualy fahren um mir den letzten Startplatz zu sichern und erst beobachten was hier Sache ist, aber ich konnte nicht einfach 20min ruhig in meiner Box sitzen und nicht fahren - das schaffe ich nicht.
Meine Trainingszeiten fuhr ich durchwegs mit Renntrimm, mittleren Reifen und 60 Liter im Tank, denn mein Handycap war die Strecke die ich nicht so gerne habe. Enge Kurven sind für den großen BMW nicht gerade gut, denn er ist dafür etwas schwerfällig, aber ich habe bemerkt, das ich immer besser wurde und mich damit gut im Mittelfeld etablieren kann. Im Qualy habe ich dann nur weiche Reifen montiert und 15 Liter Sprit in den Tank gepackt, aber es hat trotzdem nur für Platz 8 oder 9 gereicht. Damit stand ich wohl mittendrin.

Der Start selbst verschaffte mir einen Adrenalinschub ohnegleichen und wegen meiner Unsicherheit ob nun Reconlap oder nicht, verlor ich gleich in den ersten Kurven einige Plätze. Ich wollte aber auch nicht pushen um vielleicht jemand zu behindern und mich gleich beim ersten Rennen in der Community unbeliebt machen - das kann ich später immer noch. :)
Also habe ich meinen Rythmus gesucht und versucht einfach fehlerfrei meine Runden zu drehen. Das ich mich irgendwann sogar auf Platz 3 wiederfand, hat mich aber dann doch sehr irritiert, denn ich war nichtmal sicher, ob es nicht eine Boxenstoppflicht gab. Also beobachtete ich die beiden Fahrer auf Platz 1 und 2 welche ca 50sec vor mir waren und Cory Linton, der nach seinem Boxenstop 23sec hinter mir war auf Platz 4. Ich nahm an, das Cory mit weichen Reifen unterwegs war und aufholen wird und begann zu rechnen ob ich meinen dritten Platz ins Ziel bringen könnte (das wäre mein bestes Ergebnis in meiner Simracingkarriere) aber Cory holte gut auf und meine Reifen spielten dabei nicht mit. Nach ein paar tollen Runden war Cory an meinem Heck dran und ich konnte ihn nicht hinter mir halten, also musste ich ihn mit einem traurigen Auge, aber respektvoll ziehen lassen.

Ich danke allen für dieses tolle Rennen, bedanke mich bei RD für die Veranstaltung und würde mich freuen, wenn ich in einem Ligabetrieb teilnehmen darf, denn ich habe gestern wirklich viele tolle Endrücke sammeln dürfen und es würde mir Spass machen.

mfg. Francesco

Corrado Conti said:
I am on the back straight obviously driving slowly right after the crash. This Car (no brand so I cannot be accused of naming names) is getting bigger in my mirror and aiming right at me. I had time to check the board and he was indeed in 7th place.

I actually move to the right even more but eventually this car hits me full force right on the back. That effectively finished my race right there. We are both by the side of the road and my car barely can get going.

I hope this was not me. I caught up to you at some point after the fast chicane where you came back across the track, and I had to brake a bit extra to avoid hitting you. On my screen I had a big margin between our cars, though.

The race itself was fun. I started mid-pack somewhat, but span out of my own stupidity in T1. Started from the rear, cathcing back up through the field. Had some nice fights with several drivers, but as my front tyres were overheating and slippery as soap from lap 13 I struggeled more and more towards the end of the race. I need some setup-work on the Sierra before the season starts for sure, but I have found my car choice :)

Thanks once again to RD and the staff for these races, you cannot dislike racing these machines :)

Well what can i tell you about last nights race :D

Q: reasonable time... could have been better.. might event harass Eriks time but was ok P2

R: well was bit nervous at the start as i was using first time my new clutch pedal in racing start. Start was fine. could have waited the shift for second gear bit later but got away from erik into the first corner... from that point on... we were locked in fierce but clean battle with erik which ended when erik spinned from contacting my side in second to last corner. after that i tryed to push to get away from jay and Gary but i spunned my self and they got me.. after that i could keep up with the two but no hopes trying to catch them as my tyres started to give away. and race for me ended when i hitted the tyres and had puncture and my intrest for finish kinda was zero :D but nice race..

And for the record, i think i stay in the sierra for now on ;D volvo was good.. stable and fast but i have the nagging feeling there that with sierra i could have been even faster but atleast i tested the volvo now.. and it's really wasent bad to drive.. very good car for those who are new to these cars :)

video coming from our battle with erik :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%