To All Car Skinners.

Please give a clear indication what car the skin is for. The best way is to indicate the folder name of the car, this way it's easy to see if you have the car installed. I have so many cars installed, it can be very difficult to work out which car the skin is for. It's no good just giving the studio name of the car modder. I'm sure other people have found this to be really annoying as well. In future I will begiving bad reviews for the skins that don't give a good indication which car it's for, even though it may be a very good skin. I'm sure all you skinners do not want bad reviews.

I agree that skinner should make it clear what car, mod the liveries are for. Personally I just don't download it regardless off the quality. Though as a painter myself it's very rear for me to find skins better than the ones I can do myself.

But saying it's up to the downloader to work out the car it belongs too is utterly ridiculous!

Not sure I agree that the skinner deserve a bad review over the lack off information. I don't mind the thank you comments but I like the comments or reviews that judge the quality. Though maybe I'm a little crazy and actually if someone said my skin sucks I just accept and learn from it. Most people get really stupid if you give them honest criticism about their skins. Dude if it sucks, it sucks no amount off BS is going to change that!
Learn, get better. Even the best skinners started somewhere.

If you find a skin that hasn't got the relevant info in the description it would be more prudent to suggest the author edit their description with better info than give them a 1 or 2 star rating.

I got that once from someone that after I helped to understand what had gone wrong it turned out to be his own fault the skin didn't show up. Or it did but it was under a different mod name. He never changed that bad rating nor thanked me for helping him sort it out.

I'm a skinner my self but only rF2. When ever I post a skin I always give a reference in the title and description and in the download file I give the whole folder path to the correct car. Also with rF2 there is a reference to the car in the files so you can always find out which car the skin is for but with AC there is no reference to the car in the files. It's not difficult to give a reference to the car in some form or other and the easiest is the folder name of the car in the download. Even if I only gave 1 or 2 star review but the skin was good quality I would say so in the review. In the past there has been occasions when the skinner has given no indication which car it's been for and I have asked in the discussion section and they haven't even bothered to come back with a reply. I have even opened up the dds files in photoshop to compare it with the dds file for the car which I think it may be for. A skinner may spend hours producing the skin and then can't be bothered to give a clear reference to the car it's for, it would only take an extra few minutes to add the reference to the car.

So let me get this straight…

You can avoid or skip downloading a skin that has no install instructions / reference to the car it is for, but you’ll download it just to give the author a bad review? You must be fun at parties…

Attachments

• C47FCB24-293F-4389-8690-AD80664D359B.jpeg
    C47FCB24-293F-4389-8690-AD80664D359B.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 24
So let me get this straight…

You can avoid or skip downloading a skin that has no install instructions / reference to the car it is for, but you’ll download it just to give the author a bad review? You must be fun at parties…
I download a skin because it looks good and I would like to use it. Some times there is no info on the actual page but the download gives the folder path which is fine. I don't need install instructions only what car it's for. The intention of the post was to highlight the lack of car info for some skins. I have not yet given a bad review, I will use the discussion method first and if I get no response, I will then give a bad review. I would have thought giving the info for the car that the skin is intended for would be a fundamental part of post in the first place, without that info the skin is pointless. Having the info for the car would be extremely helpful to new comers to AC. I don't think you read my last post carefully enough.

for would be a fundamental part of post in the first place, without that info the skin is pointless.
Haha... , Totally agree. Unfortunately some don't know what fundamental means.
Like you suggest, they do some times at least spend some time doing the skins to share. But if they fail to give adequate info for people to use the skin that's their (the author) lose. Also to not respond to posts, inquires or the like is also their lose.

You know being a artist yourself you can always reproduce the skin on a car that you know ;).

I tend to just get skins I'm working on and can't find a logo, sponsor and all the ref shots are to hard to read. Though 9 out off 10 times they've just used some place holder anyway so that doesn't work out most times.

To me it's like including a picture of your mod (assuming it's a car, track, skin, app... pretty much anything). Pretty near mandatory if you want me to download.

I agree with this! Coming in to this whole modding scene as a newbie has been a steep learning curve. This applies to all kinds of mods, not just car skins, but also tracks, apps etc. Strange abbreviations thrown around left and right, mods that requires another mod that requires yet another mod, mods that almost require a universty degree to even understand what they are supposed to do, unclear update instructions, missing information, lack of needed respons etc etc... The worst of all (to me) is the inconsistent naming structure of many mods, i.e. a mod can be advertized as "A", packed as "B" and turns up as "C" in the list once installed... Going through all the little colored dots that indicates "New" in CM to find that specific mod, when you have hundreds of cars/tracks and constantly 50+ newly installed mods, is tedious and can require a bit of patience...

And please, dont get me wrong here! I absolutely love and appreciate the modding scene and all the hard work the modders do (mostly for free!) Hats off to all of you! I would like to see a bit more attention made to the descriptive part of mods in general though. Share a thought for us newbies that really need that info. Just a couple of text lines that probably won't take more than a minute to add. The already initiated can just skip that part.

I wish there was some sort of "description standard" that modders could follow when posting a new mod...

I agree with this! Coming in to this whole modding scene as a newbie has been a steep learning curve. This applies to all kinds of mods, not just car skins, but also tracks, apps etc. Strange abbreviations thrown around left and right, mods that requires another mod that requires yet another mod, mods that almost require a universty degree to even understand what they are supposed to do, unclear update instructions, missing information, lack of needed respons etc etc... The worst of all (to me) is the inconsistent naming structure of many mods, i.e. a mod can be advertized as "A", packed as "B" and turns up as "C" in the list once installed... Going through all the little colored dots that indicates "New" in CM to find that specific mod, when you have hundreds of cars/tracks and constantly 50+ newly installed mods, is tedious and can require a bit of patience...

And please, dont get me wrong here! I absolutely love and appreciate the modding scene and all the hard work the modders do (mostly for free!) Hats off to all of you! I would like to see a bit more attention made to the descriptive part of mods in general though. Share a thought for us newbies that really need that info. Just a couple of text lines that probably won't take more than a minute to add. The already initiated can just skip that part.

I wish there was some sort of "description standard" that modders could follow when posting a new mod...
Any sandbox style game is usually pretty messy. There will never be a standard when it comes to anything a modding community creates.

My advice is... if you want to step into the modding world? You should take the time to understand the different folders and files within your install.

"mods that almost require a universty degree to even understand what they are supposed to do", "when you have hundreds of cars/tracks and constantly 50+ newly installed mods, is tedious and can require a bit of patience..."

Sounds to me you just like to collect things... installing mods isnt confusing or tedious if you take a sensible approach and install what you actually want / need.

----------------------------------

A big portion of the community doesn't seem to grasp that a mod is well, an unsupported file(s) you are adding your game. You are not entitled to descriptive install instructions or videos, you are not entitled to support, you are not entitled to updates... Modder provides all that? Great! He/she doesn't? Ah well, maybe the file(s) wont be downloaded, or will go in the recycle bin.

Did common sense take the bus out of town?

Anyone making demands of other modders needs a reality check.

I'm with Stereo in that I just simply won't download. Demanding things from people who do hobby stuff and provide it for free isn't a good look on anyone.

If you pay for it, sure there's expectations. If it's a bunch of free stuff on a community website, you get what you get. The entitlement is real. Demands like this are exactly why modders leave communities.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back