F1 2011 Tips for setting up gear ratios?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I recently downloaded the Advanced Drivers Guide which prompted me to start playing with no assists. I realised that set ups are extremely important on Legend with no assists on. I am getting the hang of creating set ups but I just cant figure out how to set the gearing ratios effectively. Does anyone have any advice for this. Thanks.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I recently downloaded the Advanced Drivers Guide which prompted me to start playing with no assists. I realised that set ups are extremely important on Legend with no assists on. I am getting the hang of creating set ups but I just cant figure out how to set the gearing ratios effectively. Does anyone have any advice for this. Thanks.
Yes, make sure you set the gears with with 30 -35 kph difference to each gear, Example -
130kph - 163kph - 198kph - 227kph ect. Its the best ratio in this game.

Hi, I race in the xbox league, and in doing so have learned the importance of setup, and how much of a difference gearing makes.

First of all, you need to know if you want long or short gearing. Short gearing is good to get up to speed quicker, you will notice the difference in acceleration, however, top speed will be reduced.

An example of a circuits where short gearing is essential is Monaco and Hungary and Melbourne

For the circuits with longer straights and faster sweeping turns, such as Spa, Silverstone and Malaysia you'll want higher gearing. It will take slightly longer to get up to top speed, but speed is everything on the faster circuits, not acceleration, as you will be in higher gears coming out of most turns anyway.

Most circuits though are now a mix of straights and tight hairpins and chicanes, with some but not as many sweeping, fast turns.

So it then comes down to finding a gearing pattern you think works for you around a particular circuit and then adjusting to suit anything specific you might need.

For example:

At China, I have long gearing, for the long back straight in the DRS. However, my 4th gear is dropped 4 clicks lower, because of the way I take Turn 8. If my 4th gear was higher, I'd have to drop to 3rd to be comfortable taking the turn in my normal way, but by dropping the 4th gear a bit lower, I don't have to do that.

Another example would be Suzuka. I have a very long 4th gear. This is because I go from T2 to Dunlop in 4th. Making it longer gives me a bit more freedom on the throttle without worrying about high revs for too long (engine overheat, fuel consumption issue)

Hope that helps mate. Anything else just ask :)

The basics of gear setting is this:
1st gear - to take you out of the slowest corner fast but without too much wheelspin
7th gear - to reach the limiter at the start of the braking zone on the longest straight. Too short or too long means you lose speed. In this game because there's no parc ferme you can set your 7th for Q and to make it shorter for the race if you plan not do make any overtakes or to set is somewhere in between just to have good speed without DRS.
Other gears - mostly equally set between 1st and 7th. You can do like me - just set big difference between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd to have more close higher gears. On lower gears the engine has enough power to pull the car fast but if you have too much difference between 5th and 6th for example you lose on acceleration.
Of course you can set certain gear for a corner. For example I use shorter 6th gear for Catalunya because of T3 or longer 5th gear in Turkey for T8.
I hope this helps.

Pretty much as the two posts above, it's worth remembering that Red Bull didn't do too bad running a slightly slower top speed which they sacrificed for better pace through the twisty bits! Also when thinking about TOP speed ALWAYS bear in mind that corner exit speed is critical. As Chris says above, the type of gearbox you select will always be track dependant, being able to run without parc ferme you might also consider your grid position?

Exactly what I said about gearing for the race. If you start first and you think you won't do overtakes you may sacrifice the top DRS speed just to have shorter gearbox leading to better acceleration and better top speed in normal conditions.

Basically I keep gears default although there may be some cases where you may want to set a longer second gear for better traction (I.e. wet, especially effective off the line as everyone struggles to put power down). Also, as was mentioned above sometimes when you don't need high top speed (Monaco, Hungary and Singapore) it's best to keep 30kph distance between gears. Usually gears starting from 4th are longer, so try to keep them as close as 30kph. Long sweeping turn in Spain is an example there you may want to set a longer 5th or 6th gear. But in most cases default gear setup works pretty well.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back