1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrustmaster tx suede wheel mod!

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by David B, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Hey everyone,
    I wanted to have a custom wheel that was bigger than the standard tx wheel and felt a lot nicer "not like a plastic toy"
    I then got the GTE wheel from Thrustmaster and although it was better, I did not like the feel of the rubbery plastic.
    So I decided to mod a wheel that would have all the functions to work properly on Xbox one and the PC.

So I bought a 330mm Suede wheel and put it on my Thrustmaster tx base!!

I have modded the A,B,X,Y buttons from a xbox 360 controller, I have also attached an analogue stick that works as a dpad.

I then modded buttons from the original tx wheel, like the engine start button, I used the GTE wheel adapter, sold from SRH to attach the custom wheel to the base.

I then attached the original tx paddles to the GTE wheel paddles,I also put carbon fibre vinyl on the paddles.

I then strapped my phone to the wheel for a dash meter:)

Every thing works perfect and feels very nice!!

Here is a pic of how it turned out!
    20150227_205806.jpg

Any questions please feel free to ask, cheers:)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hi David,

Great mod; I'm really impressed with the work on the button and d-pad! I have just bought a 320mm suede wheel off eBay hoping to be able to reach the standard paddles.

How did you go about attaching the 458 paddles to the standard GTE ones, in case I have to do the same?

Cheers

3. Firstly I cut of the angled part of the paddles so it was more straight, then I used the hole already in the tx paddles to drill a hole in the gte paddles and put a small nut and bolt on them, I also hot glued them together :)

Then I finished it with a carbon fibre vinyl to cover the silver aluminium colour.

The paddles are on there solid! and are at perfect shifting distance for me.

I think you will prob have to extend the paddles, but depending on how big your hands are? I could reach the original paddles, just! but it was a stretch so the extended paddles were essential for me.

Hope that helps

4. Hello, may I ask what app is that on your phone which displays the gears and speed?