Thrustmaster TH8RS Shifter Owners

Im asking those who own or have used this shifter what its like, as on tuesday, my is thinking of buying it, and putting it away till Christmas for me.

Is it as good or better than the standard shifter that comes with the G27, or is it not going to be money well spent?
How robust is it?
What faults have people experieced?

If anyone has any info and advice, id thank you for it.

Cheers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThrustMaste...L1PW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1351165633&sr=8-3

Its the best shiftfer to get for the money right now, i never heard of any downsides. Its a magnetic mechanism wich will last for ever and ever without loosing its quality. Also its using Hall sensors to operate.
I would never compare it to a g27 plastic shifter, that thing is FULL metall and fantastic finish, absolutely worth every single penny!;)

Greets Modmate

Upvote 0
Hey Kjell, no mate, i haven't got it yet, just as I was about to go but it from Amazon, the price had doubled back to normal again, sooooo, I'm just having to wait that little bit longer.
Funds are crippled atm, extra things are needing paid left right and center so its hammering my savings.

Ive seen a bit of the blurb anout the new Fanatec shifter, I've got to admit, I'm not liking it. Its rather boxie. The Thrustmaster one is so sleek and shiny, and the HALL tech in it gives it promise of being a product that will last.

Things might change when the Fanatec's one is on sale, maybe a review or two wouldnt go amiss either! :)

Upvote 0
I do prefer the sheer looks of the Thrustmaster one as well, but if rumors are anything to go by the Fanatec one comes with proper hardware (as in hall sensor or better if there are anything better) and it has a way to quickly swap between H-gate and sequential. If those turn out to be true and the price is right, it might be a nobrainer for me. But I won't decide until it's out, the proof is in the pudding. :)

Upvote 0
TH8RS is the hell of a shifter! I own it since more than a year, now! Only problem, works only on PC and PS3 for certain games... I was dreaming of a possibility to connect it on my GT2 wheel but since the FCC seems to be on its way.... :sneaky: I'll be one of the waiting guys! :geek:

Upvote 0
Im really enjoying the TH8RS. As soon as i received it i dismantled it to have a close look from the inside. Its sturdy build with solid metal parts. At the bottom there is a print plate attached with a sensor. At the end of the gear shaft is a magnet. This magnet moves over the sensor which set the right gears in game.
While the unit lay open i took the change to tighten the screw for a better response of the shaft. While you are able to tighten this screw through a hole being made at the side on the pot, i noticed, doing this while being dismantled i could much more fine tune it.

The major advantage is that the top of the unit (H-shifter / sequential plate) can spin 360 degrees independent of the rest of the unit, which gives you the ultimate freedom of attaching the unit in every direction.
The minor points are: the sequential plate should also be delivered in brushed metal instead of black plastic. The counter spring within the sequential plate is (too) weak. I have solved this by placing different rubber bands (inside of the unit) to give a more sturdy feel when shifting. I have forwarded these two points to the research department of Thrustmaster in the hope they will release a 2nd version with nice upgrades.

Upvote 0
I'm saving up for one too but I won't buy one before I know the price and all details about the Fanatec shifter. The other day they announced that switching between h-gate and sequential is only a matter of pressing a button. I think the way you swap on the TH8 is fiddly and I will most likely leave it in h-mode and never use the sequential mode because of that.

Upvote 0
I'm saving up for one too but I won't buy one before I know the price and all details about the Fanatec shifter. The other day they announced that switching between h-gate and sequential is only a matter of pressing a button. I think the way you swap on the TH8 is fiddly and I will most likely leave it in h-mode and never use the sequential mode because of that.

Absolutely, I never use seq on my TH8, much too fiddly. Ended up getting a DSD pro seq shifter aswell :D

Upvote 0
Dose anyone know what size and pitch the of the treads would be? As I would really like to put an after market knob on it. I mean that is where I feel the difference. This is a great shifter I recommend this to anyone whom own's a G27, just like their wheel any thing is a step up. I use mine for back a up wheel.

Cheers, Greg

Upvote 0
I have the TH8 here, love it, but recently I also got the Fanatec SQ, and that is also excellent, and quicker to switch between Gate & Seq mode, TH8 is a pain to adjust as well compared to the SQ.

Personally I would take the TH8 if I were on a budget, and the SQ if you wanted something more heavy duty, the SQ in Seq mode is pretty excellent, and sturdy and chunky feeling.

Just my 2c worth ;)

Upvote 0
I've been wondering why people want sequential mode at all, is it for immersion only?
Personally I find driving with h pattern to be more engaging and fun, also when driving cars in real life. But if I can't run full manual I'd rather use the paddles than a sequential stick.
Please don't mistake me for ranting about it, I'd just like to know why others like sequential. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea