Thrusmaster F1 Wheel is going to get a make over

Devil_Dog

I walk the line.
Fedex just dropped this off this morning.

6843862686_f9caa6d280_z.jpg

I will start modding it to add what is missing. A shift light indicator, working rotary switches & encoders and adding clutch paddles as well.

Here's the SLI:

6989991595_b6268766e5_z.jpg

Here's the rotary switches and hall effect sensors. Only 2 of the switches will be used. The others are for another F1 wheel I'm working on. (I'll update that thread when I get the rest of what I'm waiting for.) I'm waiting on the rotary encoders which should be here Monday.

6989989537_76a85427a6_z.jpg

Hi Mike. I'll keep an eye on this to see what it turns out like. Strange that the design of the Thrustmaster F1 wheel looks like it was planned to include the SLI-M board, or similar.

Would be very good to know if it can be done within the contacts already there i.e. without the need of a flexible USB cable flying around.

Upvote 0
Hi Mike. I'll keep an eye on this to see what it turns out like. Strange that the design of the Thrustmaster F1 wheel looks like it was planned to include the SLI-M board, or similar.

Would be very good to know if it can be done within the contacts already there i.e. without the need of a flexible USB cable flying around.

We'll see about that. ;)

Super nice mate!!​
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well after dealing with a nasty virus that has been rampant in my house I finally got a chance to take the wheel apart this morning.

Here's a few pics of the inside.

7008532535_0eab1def19_b.jpg

7008532495_06e4eba88e_b.jpg

Now for the SLI I will fabricate a housing for it that will screw onto the wheel. Here's a pic to give you an idea of how it will sit.
7008532567_83081ea245_b.jpg

Here is a pic of the real wheel. This will give you a better idea of what the SLI housing will look like when done and in place.
7008551559_9d9cc0b089_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Good project, I have done this already :) SLI-M fits perfect
If anyone wants the Tinted plates to do this along with mounting bolts etc, give me a shout ;)

Hi Brian. Nice one. If using the SLI-M is it possible to do this using the existing Thrustmaster connection socket i.e. can it be done without requiring an additional USB cable ?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Brian. Nice one. If using the SLI-M is it possible to do this using the existing Thrustmaster connection socket i.e. can it be done without requiring an additional USB cable ?
Thanks

I doubt it very much, however, if you are going to use the SLI to 'power' all the switches/rotaries etc, you could use plug in the hub (Like a DIN socket) to connect the SLI and then no visable USB lead! ;)

Upvote 0
Mike, I am really interested to see how you are going to fit that Rotary switch in there, the thickness is what im worried about, and the main PCB in the middle for all the buttons in the way of your switches and encoders.
are you going to ditch the pcb and use the sli pcb instead?
will the wheel work without the pcb / connection to the wheel hub?

Upvote 0
The rotary switches will fit. There is just enough room to do it. I'm keeping the pcb that is in the wheel. Only using the SLI pcb for the rotaries and any additional things I may add.

As far as I know you can use the wheel base without the pcb. There are a few guys that have Momo's on the wheelbase using an adapter to mount the wheel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea