Things Are Happening at Reiza Studios

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Update.jpg

Silence isn't always golden, and the silence from Reiza Studios has been deafening recently... leading many to remain curious as to what is happening behind the scenes..

As usual, the popular Brazilian team have been hard at work adding yet more goodness to both the venerable Automobilista title and the upcoming 'Reiza Pack' rFactor 2 DLC, however it looks like the level of work and time it will take to make everything happen has been a bit underestimated by Reiza, leading head man Renato Simioni to re evaluate just when things are likely to appear in the public domain. If recent form is anything to go by, I'm sure the wait will be more than worth it...

Taking to the Reiza forums today, Renato had the following update to give fans eager to know what is upcoming in the near future:

I understand and apologise that our communication hasn´t been the best lately, and our time estimates even less including the initial post...

Historically silence from us is not the sign of things stopping but rather too much stuff going on with a bit of uncertainty, and that´s the case again here including a couple of big developments since this topic was created.

With that said and without going too far making premature announcements, here is what you can surely expect in the very short term (3 weeks max):

• A new Automobilista update
  • Announcing a new partnership that will bring free new (previously unforecasted) cars to AMS before the end of the year
  • Announcing new official AMS competition
  • Release of rF2 Bundle
And there is more still to come before the year wraps, but we´ll get to that once we´re through with the above..
Good news for AMS fans, good news for rF2 fans and frankly good news for sim racing in general.

The next three weeks should be pretty exciting times indeed!

Automobilista is a PC exclusive racing game from Reiza Studios, and can be purchased from the Steam network.

If you enjoy Automobilista then take your experience to the next level with RaceDepartment! Join in our brilliant online Racing Club to take part in organised online race events, or head over to the Automobilista Modding Forum to have a look through our community made content, or if this isn't enough to keep you occupied, check out the general AMS sub forum and involve yourself in our wonderful sim racing community.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Excited to hear of further, unexpected, development coming to AMS? Looking forward to hearing of the new announcement? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Great news, interesting new content, I always liked that the developers tried to offer something different to other sims and never stopped offering new content, and I think they did it, AMS is a really special sim.
Regarding the content, AMS already uses the Judd V8 engine, for the future, why not offer something special...again...a hillclimb monster like this one:
...and probably the best road in the world Transfagarasan (an alternative to Nurburgring which every sim seem so to have it lately) to enjoy it:

@2stains That's not the issue (most current sims, even if they support DX10+, still mostly use just one, maybe two threads, or "cores" if you like). But Oculus doesn't support DX9 and I believe OpenVR doesn't either. The only DX9 sim that supports VR is Raceroom I believe, and it has been mentioned they are actually using some kind of elaborate coding trickery to run the necessary parts in DX11 while the rest is still strictly DX9.

(most current sims, even if they support DX10+, still mostly use just one, maybe two threads, or "cores" if you like)

Which DX11 sims only run on 1-2 cores? Only one I can think of might be iRacing since I dont have a current sub and cant check anymore.

The only DX9 sim that supports VR is Raceroom I believe

Not that many people play it anymore, but Live For Speed was first to get VR a few years ago, and somehow runs it on its ancient engine.

Obviously, it can be done with DX9 but, as Martin said, not easily. Reiza has said they don't have the resources to add VR-support so we have to look forward to the next title or take what they offer for the rF2-DLC for now.

Whatever the case, I adore AMS and the refinement that Reiza puts into their titles. Superb, and I'll continue to play it however I can. :)

Which DX11 sims only run on 1-2 cores? Only one I can think of might be iRacing since I dont have a current sub and cant check anymore.

Current sims and their thread usage ("cores", although we really shouldn't be calling it "running on cores" as that is very inaccurate due to thread scheduling and load balancing and all that) in my experience (i7 2600@4.5 GHz, Ryzen 2600 @ 3.9 GHz):

rFactor 2 - single thread, very heavily used, 2-3 lightly used threads
Raceroom - two threads, very heavily used, 2-3 very lightly used threads
Assetto Corsa - two threads, very heavily used
Assetto Corsa Competizione - two very heavily used threads, 3-4 somewhat used
Project Cars 2 - 3 decently used threads, 4-6 lightly used
Automobilista - 1 heavily used thread, 1 fairly used thread

Would love to know how iRacing fares, but it's just too expensive for me.

Personal biggest disappointment in this regard: ACC. It still mostly depends on a single thread for its performance, two at best, and that one thread is incredibly CPU hungry.

@2stains That's not the issue (most current sims, even if they support DX10+, still mostly use just one, maybe two threads, or "cores" if you like). But Oculus doesn't support DX9 and I believe OpenVR doesn't either. The only DX9 sim that supports VR is Raceroom I believe, and it has been mentioned they are actually using some kind of elaborate coding trickery to run the necessary parts in DX11 while the rest is still strictly DX9.
But it's the single core that limits R3E performance massively where day pC2, AC rF2 all easily get 90 fps and R3E is a massive compromise to get 90 because it's SOO CPU limited.

@2stains I can't speak for VR performance, obviously, which might have its own issues I know nothing about, but with regular single screen, I would very much hesitate to say one of them is performing better or worse than the other, or is less CPU limited than the other. Every single one of them except perhaps for PCars 2 is *very* CPU limited on a single main thread (or two threads, but in that case they're both fairly evenly maxed to the point where it doesn't really matter anyway if it's one thread or two), even on that overclocked Ryzen.

Also, I can easily get Raceroom to run 120+ fps even on my aging GTX 970 (in 1080p). I don't even have to go all that low on settings. If anything, its framerate is actually more stable and predictable than rF2 where you really don't know for sure what kind of framerate will you get with specific car/track combinations - plus it can often run 120+ fps at one part on the track and below 70 on other parts of the track, and mostly only because of that one single thread being maxed out. And AC is even more CPU dependent than rF2, and performs somewhat worse as well.

@2stains I can't speak for VR performance, obviously, which might have its own issues I know nothing about, but with regular single screen, I would very much hesitate to say one of them is performing better or worse than the other, or is less CPU limited than the other. Every single one of them except perhaps for PCars 2 is *very* CPU limited on a single main thread (or two threads, but in that case they're both fairly evenly maxed to the point where it doesn't really matter anyway if it's one thread or two), even on that overclocked Ryzen.

Also, I can easily get Raceroom to run 120+ fps even on my aging GTX 970 (in 1080p). I don't even have to go all that low on settings. If anything, its framerate is actually more stable and predictable than rF2 where you really don't know for sure what kind of framerate will you get with specific car/track combinations - plus it can often run 120+ fps at one part on the track and below 70 on other parts of the track, and mostly only because of that one single thread being maxed out. And AC is even more CPU dependent than rF2, and performs somewhat worse as well.
Just have a look at the VR threads over at S3 to see that 90 fps is near impossible with 1080ti unless your happy to run no shadows and a compromise. 45 with ASW is pretty smooth in R3E but it is so CPU limited where I could simply get 90 in all other Sims with quite nice settings.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back