The weather

Hi everyone :)

As I'm not racing here this season but still wanting to make a contribution I have taken up the weather making duty. Nico made it earlier but it's a problem since he is racing at the same race. So he had to make a lot (and I mean a lot) of different weather files and then make a random choise so that he, and everyone else, wouldn't know what the weather would be. For me it's easy as I don't have to hide it from myself. :wink:

I made the file for Monza, were I followed what it said in the PrestoGP Race Calendar Season 5, and made random choises based on the numbers stated there.

But it might be more fun if we had more like a weather forecast, which wasn't so easy when a racing person was doing it himself, to not say impossible. But now we can have that as a non racing person does the weather.

So, what I want to know is what ideas you have about this. If we should have a forecast, and how detailed it should be. Or some other suggestions/wishes about the weather.

We could have a simple one like "Sunny weather expected, but with a small chance of rain showers".
Or "Race starts out sunny, but a rain shower moves in after 10 or 15 minutes and continues for 20-25 mins".
Or something in between.

We could have different forecasts ahead of the race: A simple one a week before and a more detailed with two days to go for example, or just before the event starts.

I am aiming for realistic like weather, so you face the same challenges as you would at a real life event. However, we plan to keep the temperature at the standard 20 degrees, to avoid problems with overheating engines and so on. It will be enough with changing weather for now.

Give me your ideas :D

Hello Daniel,
Thank you for doing this. Greatly appreciated.:thanks:

Does the percentage chance of rain [guideline] in the PrestoGP Race Calendar Season 5.pdf still apply?

e.g.
Weather forecast: 25% chance of rain in qualify and/or race for Singapore? [as printed]

I like the idea of the weather forecast announced on the day; the latter the better. One hour beforehand would be ideal for me [I'm sleeping up until about then
:) ].

I'm wondering if there should be a touch of rain during the Practice Session at race events where the rain gods may appear?

We could have a simple one like "Sunny weather expected, but with a small chance of rain showers".
Or "Race starts out sunny, but a rain shower moves in after 10 or 15 minutes and continues for 20-25 mins".
Or something in between.
Hi Daniel ,

Thank you for being the weather man this year :)

i believe it is good to know if there would be rain before the race day but it would be more realistic to not know at all when the rain would start during the race or if the rain would stay for the rest of the race or would stop after couple of laps etc...

a random weather would be : race starts dry, then heavy rain start on lap 8 or so and stays up to lap 25 then the rain stops and track dries out until the race finish ( but the only information to be posted is that rain is expected in this race)..

cheers :)

a random weather would be : race starts dry, then heavy rain start on lap 8 or so and stays up to lap 25 then the rain stops and track dries out until the race finish ( but the only information to be posted is that rain is expected in this race)..

nice for me but remember guys every Pit-Stop is a bit long in GTR if there are many changes along race we stay more on Pit that on track.
sure more interesting and difficult in strategy but we are always at Pit so if come a hard rain and after sun and rain is not better stay at PUB to drink and joking with the girls ?:)

Hi Daniel ,

Thank you for being the weather man this year :)

i believe it is good to know if there would be rain before the race day but it would be more realistic to not know at all when the rain would start during the race or if the rain would stay for the rest of the race or would stop after couple of laps etc...

Great that you arrange weather for us Daniel!
I like Anthonys idea. We only need to know that we must have the wets ready for a fast:) pitstop.

I like the idea of never knowing 100%. I liked how it was for the RL Spa race. There was always danger of rain but nobody knew for sure.

What I could like is a general forecast much like the one that is in the calendar today, and a day or two before the race it could be interesting with a more detailed forecast like: The weather is likely to start out dry, but there is a great chance of some short heavy rain fall. I do not think that if the forecast says this then there is 100% chance of rain, but rather 80% or something. I do not like the idea of KNOWING that there MUST fall some rain before the race is over.

Also I like the idea (opposite of Anthony ;) ) that it can rain in parctice session and not in race and vice versa.

Thanks a bunch for the replies :) . I think it looks like it will be forecasts from now on after reading them. But not too detailed. The element of uncertanty and realism seems to be important factors. And it seems to be changeable weather in practise and qualy aswell. The chance of rain precentage in the Calendar pdf can maybe serve as a guideline untill the forecast comes.

The questions are now when do we want the forecast to be annonced and if we want to have several ones at different points in the time leading up to the race.

I like Nicos suggestion of one a week prior and then a more detailed one a day or two before the race. Should we try with this for Singapore and see how it works out? In case of that I will try to post it tomorrow night.

A problem I have thought about is how the practise start will work with the unknown weather. The first few minutes of the race will be known to everyone and spoil the suprise. But this may be a good thing. For example if it rains we will get a try at that so we can get used to it.

I'd completely take it as you write it. Great work man!

Edit:
About practice start i'm fine with both options, no more practice starts or continuing practice starts to know about the start weather.

x2 :) (at least until the starts are getting messy again :) )

Excuse me, I can't interprete your "x2" right. To be sure, you mean option 2? No practice starts anymore? (at least until the starts are getting messy again
smile.png
)

Indeedio, David is right :)

Not sure x2 is common forum language or if it is PrestoGP spesific (never been active in any other forums), I have seen others do it and found it very usefull :)

One more thing Reik, it has been brought to my attention that it could be that you never "understood" my 54/56 brake bias joke, so just in case you didn't and thus misunderstood my post, my point was that I thought nobody could handle such a brake bias because it equals 110% :D iow I was trying to be funny :D

Not sure x2 is common forum language or if it is PrestoGP spesific (never been active in any other forums), I have seen others do it and found it very usefull :)

I'm allways open to learn new short cuts... :redface:

One more thing Reik, it has been brought to my attention that it could be that you never "understood" my 54/56 brake bias joke, so just in case you didn't and thus misunderstood my post, my point was that I thought nobody could handle such a brake bias because it equals 110% :D iow I was trying to be funny :D

Finally this definately attests that i have no clue about setups! :tongue: So please never ask me anything about it! :rolleyes:
To be honest, i was so deep into this subject that i never noticed this mistake and couldn't understand the joke behind it. Any more questions about the "correct" germans? :redface:

Of course i wanted to point out, that a balance with only 54% at the front makes me ever loose the cars tail...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.