The Reason I Haven't Purchased Any Content Yet.....

My main concern is that you need to be connected to their servers in order to play.
What happens if this company goes out of business for good and the servers go down?
What happens to the content we purchased?
We will be not be able to access it any longer if it gets to that point?

All I can say to that is, GTR, GTR2 and GTL were done under license of 10tacle. When 10 tacle went bankrupt SimBin made sure the servers stayed online. The full Race07 and expansions were developed by SimBin and when SimBin disappeared Sector3 made sure servers stayed online. All be it with a little hick-up.

Now +10 years and 2 companies later the servers for the first games remain online (lord knows for how long) which has to mean something in this day and age where 3-4 years is already stretching the lifetime of a game.

But in the end its your money, you and only you can decide when and where you spend it :)
Very persuasive argument, and although I too would prefer an offline mode, I'm certainly ready to purchase more single player Experiences.

Henk

So... if I understood properly:

If, one day, servers are off temporary/forever (god knows how or why [bankrupt, ddos... etc]) we end with like 12 GB (only counting R3E) of useless content, because the servers that must check it to play are down; so if no internet connection provided by us at home or S3 at its servers there's simply no game in any possible way (even though we paid for it).

Am I right?

I will edit now so my comment doesn't look hatey: I played this game for hours although I'm so rookie that I've never even smelt a 6 shift gear or a clutch, only ever played with paddles. I dedicated more time to this game than Assetto Corsa. Maybe because graphics in the Kunos' one are sh**ty, or better said my graphics card tolerates R3E better. In anyways, FFB and physics are in a clearly draw in each one for me, so I think I like these two in equal ways. The thing is I could play AC even in Chernobyl (if you understood me well i meant w/out internet connection) but I couldn't with R3E.
Cars are right, tracks are right, AI is... well, c'mon is f*cking right too and the Multiplayer is in Alpha phase and still looks pretty good to be Alpha! Now, pls: you released DTM 2014, you accomplished your promise. Now, for the love of all the R3E community: NOT offline mode, but yes OFFLINE SUPPORT & FULL SINGLE PLAYER GAME FUNCTIONS AS IN RACE07, GTR, GTR2, GTL AND ETC.

Last edited:
Being f2p has nothing to do with being online or offline. Basic example: most of phone "games" are f2p and you can play them offline. Advanced example: Garry's Mod has a single player mode and you can play it offline as your going to play alone.

My question for S3 is: As I think you need us to be connected to get data from us to improve the game, how much is this going to last?
1. garrys mod costs $3
2. show me a offline phone game and ill show you a game i can hack
(Flappy bird? hacked it, 2048? hacked it. I can even hack hill climb racing which has micro transactions.)

Last edited:
assetto hacked , iracing had a breaf go at an offline exe many moons ago ... guess what yep hacked ....
yep it is a pain , i have shitty internet were i live , and most years im down in total for 6-8 weeks (phone , internet etc )
if i want to drive then i have such a library of sims that i can play offline so it doesnt bother me

and as said before , look at your task manager what do you see , a couple of r3e webbrowser exe running , ; hell of a lot of the pages you see before hand are running through that , your logging into a web app basically

Andi

Last edited:
If they suddenly go bankrupt, I am sure some friendly group of hackers will add an offline mode or some VPN tunneling to get it working again. :roflmao:

Edit: PS: Simbin created this game - they already went bankrupt, the game is still here :)

Life is about Risk .... this is a real difficult one , what if i was hit by ...; you see were im going ; ok you are going to risk a little money at present the cost of a good night out with a partner (not the bag of chips and a pint one ;) )
No company is safe , no bank , no state ....
so lets say even if you invested 1000€ in the game ; played it for 3 years and the company died and there was no fix , no nothing , zilch , basta .... you have blown 1 € a day its wasted its gone ...; damn its not ..... hold on ; thats 1€ thats a can of soda , a newspaper ....

So way up the Risk , if its too great then dont buy into it

Andi

since the game uses steam cloud they could implement for example an offline mode where users have to synchronize data every one week to verify is everything legally paid...nowadays is easy to connect pc to a mobile phone to have internet access so we could use the game offline without spending too much data usage (that we will surely spend in playing the game directly with phone connections) :) ;)

yesterday i bought a fridge but it doesnt work unless i plug it in to the electricity ; im now trying to get the manufacturer to give me the possibility to have my fridge in offline mode , because i have a cabin in the woods with no electricity ; they dont seem to understand my dilemma ...
:speechless:

Andi

i used that as an example , you bought it like that ; you accepted it like that and

do you understand my arguement , the game is built around an experience idea , the experience is web based .. the protection is web based ... do i need to continue the list ?

as with everything here discussion wise this is my voice ; not RD staff; not r3e beta tester

if im slow answering blame wec starting now ish

Andi

the major pro is that with using a web-based authentication server is that hacking /tweaking/converting files becomes a whole deal harder. No hacking or tweaking files is great for Multiplayer. with not a single cheat reports since the release of the MP Alpha. And as mentioned above, it keeps our content safe, as nothing has been converted to other platforms yet, which was always a very annoying things to see happen.

All of this would not be possible in a full offline mode as we had int he old games.

Having said that I remember discussions internally to allow some sort of offline mode, by allowing XX amount of time of playing without having internet access. But as far as i know its not on anyone's list to look at or investigate properly, nor would it be high on a prio list somewhere afaik.

the major pro is that with using a web-based authentication server is that hacking /tweaking/converting files becomes a whole deal harder. No hacking or tweaking files is great for Multiplayer. with not a single cheat reports since the release of the MP Alpha. And as mentioned above, it keeps our content safe, as nothing has been converted to other platforms yet, which was always a very annoying things to see happen.

All of this would not be possible in a full offline mode as we had int he old games.

Having said that I remember discussions internally to allow some sort of offline mode, by allowing XX amount of time of playing without having internet access. But as far as i know its not on anyone's list to look at or investigate properly, nor would it be high on a prio list somewhere afaik.
R3E distributed on steam (at least that's how i get it). Every steam game must have "offline" mode to be in compliance with steam policy. If you guys ignore it... why keep game on steam in first place ? I do understand "web-based authentication" for MP and absolutely support it... but SP ???

if the game wouldn't be compliant with Steam code of conduct we wouldn't be on steam. And afaik it is not a requirement at all, maybe for games that have full steam integration (which R3e does not have).

i used that as an example , you bought it like that ; you accepted it like that and

do you understand my arguement , the game is built around an experience idea , the experience is web based .. the protection is web based ... do i need to continue the list ?

as with everything here discussion wise this is my voice ; not RD staff; not r3e beta tester

if im slow answering blame wec starting now ish

Andi
I totally agree with what you say Andi and there's no need to continue your list... :cautious:
What I was saying is that even though I realize that it could be really (maybe extremely) problematic to implement an "offline feature" in the game, it'd be something that would attract a lot of users. A game you can access whenever you want gives great flexibility and it's something that a user (at least I see it that way) looks at it with importance.
I had a pretty interesting experience regarding the renowned "offline thing" with Elite Dangerous (space simulation still in early access to be released in 12 days). To make it shorter, devs decided a month or so before the release date, that the initial intention of giving the possibility of playing the game in offline mode (and DRM free) was no longer valid because of various reasons (being an evolving universe the the type of data stored in their servers has to be kept secret and safe from potential hacking attacks).
This caused the forums to go crazy and many (I don't know how many exactly but they were/are a lot) asked for refunds.
Not saying that S3S said "yeah we have an offline mode planned!" and now there's not. I'm saying that everyone is scared that their investments might fail: it's normal. Some may accept the risk, some other may not. An offline feature gives you a bit of reassurance that even if all blows up, your money are not completely gone. Maybe you can just play with your purchased cars and tracks for a certain amount of time and then you need to sync with the S3S online for an integrity check and authentication if you want to use it again. Adobe does it for example... monthly payment and you can keep using your software (https://creative.adobe.com/plans). Here you'd sync your client online to be checked and then re-authorized if all in good-standing.
I don't know.. it's up to the devs honestly.
I'm not a game designer/programmer or a web expert so what I say could be tremendously stupid. I'm just curious in regards of a feature that might be pivotal for the decision of many users (like the OP).
After all, isn't it better to bring the matter up to the table and discuss it to see if something can be done?

Note: Diablo 3 was hacked from what I recall

Yes, AC is hacked but... what's the point to do it? In hacked-ac you CAN'T play online servers and you can't access to some SP content like new cars to come or whatever.

I'm not understanding yet why don't give R3E a SP-no-internet feature. Because they are going to hack it? Good luck enjoying best part of it: multiplayer mode.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back